PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Actonius

Lurker
May 11, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Warped: Until the End

Sold out at the moment but when it comes back in stock I highly recommend. Just a super easy going well behaved and refined blend. The components might sound intimidating (cigar and DFK being listed) but its just so smooth and easy to smoke its a shock. Could easily smoke books to this tobacco, sad it doesn't come in bulk.

edit: looks like you're in AU, not sure sp ships to there.
Thanks mate, the components sound pretty good to me and SP ship to Oz. I didn't get what blend did you recommend?

Actonius

Lurker
May 11, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I wish I could enjoy a good book. I’ve become a clencher of late. My three light em and forget about em blends are Granger, Pegasus and Winchester. But I suppose any well behaved OTC would do the trick and I second Prince Albert as the quintessential accompaniment to your book. Just a nice nutty, cocoa aura to surround you without you having to give it a second thought. Enjoy!
Tried Prince Albert for the first time yesterday and have to agree with you on this, very effortless, easy smoke and lasts a long time. The second half of the bowl evolves well and develops more flavour.

Actonius

Lurker
May 11, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Book reading tobaccos? What kind of mutant leaf is this? I didn’t know there were any plants that could read. All the tobacco I’ve ever seen has just sort of laid there. Sometimes when I light it, it’ll kinda raise up and curl. But other than that, zero sentience or intelligence whatsoever.

All joking aside, I concur. But when I do read and smoke, I use my all-time favorite type of pipe: one of my churchwardens.
The pipe is another aspect, not sure what shape would be optimal, maybe a sitter or a light bent billiard? In any case it should have a large bowl and and long stem to protect your eyes from the smoke, you are reading after all. Churchwarden sounds like a good idea considering this but I never had such pipe. Isn't it awkward to handle it?

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm relatively limited in my smoking career, but I would second the Carter Hall. Mind you, if you've already got Prince Albert, you've got something very similar

Reactions: JOHN72

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
Book reading tobaccos? What kind of mutant leaf is this? I didn’t know there were any plants that could read. All the tobacco I’ve ever seen has just sort of laid there. Sometimes when I light it, it’ll kinda raise up and curl. But other than that, zero sentience or intelligence whatsoever.

All joking aside, I concur. But when I do read and smoke, I use my all-time favorite type of pipe: one of my churchwardens.
Fun fact: In German, Churchwardens are called Lesepfeifen, which literally translates to Reading Pipes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I just finished enjoying a book my friend wrote with 2 hours of solitude and a pipe. There was some pipe smoking in the book as well (his first release out of a series of 5).

Reminded me of reading outside with a cigar and some beer while in grad school. An enjoyable escape when life was simpler but seemed the opposite.

Highly recommend a pipe while reading, especially with a no fuss blend (although the flake I had today kept good company once properly lit).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nah man just smoke whatever tickles your fancy when reading. Try and pair the book and tobacco on some type of thematic way. Set in Denmark smoke something Danish. Relights are good gives you a moment to stop and think about what you've read.

mark777

Lurker
Oct 14, 2022
Try the pipe tobacco from Pogar "Mixture No. 5" - it is a composition of gold and red Virginia, flavored with Malawian berle, which gives the smoke density and juiciness, and the original Cavendish, which forms the taste and aroma of this tobacco with hints of prunes. and flower honey.

Reactions: Infantry23

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I really don’t know. I only knew of Van Erkoms and they practically supplied the whole country with tobacco, and the rest was imported. If there are any other local manufacturers I never knew of them.

There is also Wesley importing and blending pipe tobacco in SA, and still a few quite small tobacconists/ blenders around. As far as i know none of them export tobacco to the US or elsewhere outside of the Southern African sphere.