PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Actonius

Lurker
May 11, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Title edited for caps and clarity. -jpm

Nothing beats a good book accompanied by a bowl of nice tobacco. We all know that and yet, there are a lot of challenges. Even after years of pipe smoking I still haven't found the ideal tobacco for this particular activity and think that not all pipe tobaccos are suitable for consumption while reading. I think that the ideal tobacco to smoe while reading should have at least the following characteristics:

- Easy and uniform not requiring frequent relights
- Slow burn to provide extended smoking sessions
- Not overly complex requiring concentration, but also providing enough edge so you senses are rewarded
- Minimal irritation of the mouth mucosa (no perique or latakia for me)
- Requiring minimum tamping not to distract the reader (flake?)
- Moderate amount of nicotine to provide extended smoking pleasure but not overwhelm you
- And lastly, a good room note so you can smoke inside without annoying the people around you

I haven't found this elusive tobacco yet but I haven't given up hope. What would you recommend, whats your favorite tobacco for extended book reading sessions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I had one such exact blend, called Fox, by van Erkoms in South Africa. A musty, earthy burley-based tobacco with a room note reminiscent of caramel, but I couldn’t taste that at all, if it even was a topping or a casing. Slow, even burning, fairly one-dimensional, no bite.

I suppose the old “codger blends”, like Carter Hall or Sir Walther Raleigh might fit the bill?

Actonius

Lurker
May 11, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I had one such exact blend, called Fox, by van Erkoms in South Africa. A musty, earthy burley-based tobacco with a room note reminiscent of caramel, but I couldn’t taste that at all, if it even was a topping or a casing. Slow, even burning, fairly one-dimensional, no bite.

I suppose the old “codger blends”, like Carter Hall or Sir Walther Raleigh might fit the bill?
Thanks mate, I just got some Prince Albert and will try it tomorrow. How many locall pipe tobacco's are currently produced in Slouth Africa?

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Thanks mate, I just got some Prince Albert and will try it tomorrow. How many locall pipe tobacco's are currently produced in Slouth Africa?
I really don’t know. I only knew of Van Erkoms and they practically supplied the whole country with tobacco, and the rest was imported. If there are any other local manufacturers I never knew of them.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I wish I could enjoy a good book. I’ve become a clencher of late. My three light em and forget about em blends are Granger, Pegasus and Winchester. But I suppose any well behaved OTC would do the trick and I second Prince Albert as the quintessential accompaniment to your book. Just a nice nutty, cocoa aura to surround you without you having to give it a second thought. Enjoy!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
OTC and non-aromatic ribbon blends aren't fussy.

Before my toddler was born, I read 1-2 books a week (without pictures, thank you).

Currently, my most efficient time to smoke is weekend mornings before the household awakes.

Now that the weather is breaking (since I smoke outside), maybe I can try reading for pleasure again. Some Sherlock Holmes stories with a pipe in hand sounds nice.

I'm looking forward to what others say.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Warped: Until the End

Sold out at the moment but when it comes back in stock I highly recommend. Just a super easy going well behaved and refined blend. The components might sound intimidating (cigar and DFK being listed) but its just so smooth and easy to smoke its a shock. Could easily smoke books to this tobacco, sad it doesn't come in bulk.

edit: looks like you're in AU, not sure sp ships to there.

Reactions: JOHN72

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Usually one of the three or four blends found on my desk. Pairing activities to blends? Seems to unduly complicate the smoking experience. Stuff a bowl with some Three Star Blue, ignite, lean back, scratch the dog's ears, open book and I'm good.
Pay attention newbies! The secret to packing a pipe is JUST after the char light, scratch the dogs ears. Hair of the dog will help you through, and also provide an interesting room note post-finger tamp.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Book reading tobaccos? What kind of mutant leaf is this? I didn’t know there were any plants that could read. All the tobacco I’ve ever seen has just sort of laid there. Sometimes when I light it, it’ll kinda raise up and curl. But other than that, zero sentience or intelligence whatsoever.

All joking aside, I concur. But when I do read and smoke, I use my all-time favorite type of pipe: one of my churchwardens.