PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I re-use jams/preserves jars for blends that I smoke often...not long term storage. The lids have a rubber type sealing similar to mason jars. I run them through the dishwasher and they're good to go.

If I have a mason jar that's almost empty, I will transfer it into a jam jar and re-use the mason jar for a new opened tin.

In the pic you'll see a small amount of Moontrance that I transferred to a jam jar to free up a mason jar for a new tin.
View attachment 58937

I do this only for temporary storage.
Yep, same kind of jars really except the ones I use have deeper lids on them. They work just fine for the short term and I’m sure they’d work long enough until mason jars are widely available again!

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Correct, my bad. 7 mm is actually .27" which would not be feasible. I buy 7 mil mylar bags on Amazon and have done so two times recently.
I appreciate you mentioning this, and I may have run across another or earlier post where you shared your positive experience with mylar bags, if my memory is correct (???) :). Whomever it was, though (my memory isn't always good) I'm thankful because I bought two sizes of the bags on Amazon and they've been great! Quite easy to fill with unopened tins and also easy to seal (wife's hair straitener/curler was easy to use as long as I kept my fingers off the hot parts :)) ouch!!)

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I re-use jams/preserves jars for blends that I smoke often...not long term storage. The lids have a rubber type sealing similar to mason jars. I run them through the dishwasher and they're good to go.

If I have a mason jar that's almost empty, I will transfer it into a jam jar and re-use the mason jar for a new opened tin.

In the pic you'll see a small amount of Moontrance that I transferred to a jam jar to free up a mason jar for a new tin.
View attachment 58937

I do this only for temporary storage.
Me too. I think they work pretty well and have no problem keeping tobaccos that are in rotation in them for months even. After all, those lids are leak proof.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yep, same kind of jars really except the ones I use have deeper lids on them. They work just fine for the short term and I’m sure they’d work long enough until mason jars are widely available again!
Like this? These are almost as good as Mason/Ball jars.

20210106_145543 (1).jpg

Reactions: edger and BROBS

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I keep long term storage tobacco in Mason jars. Small amounts of bulk 1 oz or less just stays in their Zip lock bags. Most of the time Tobacco is a bit moist anyways and quite a few people dry it before packing a bowl anyways, so it doesn't really make a difference IMO.

Have had a couple bags dry out a bit from faulty ziplocks but it still burns and smokes just fine and the problem is usually too MUCH moisture rather than too little.

Reactions: edger

ahinesdesign

Lurker
Jan 4, 2021
NC, USA
I have been unable to find pint jars for months, so I bought a few Rubbermaid Brilliance containers to store new tobacco in. They have a full rubber seal around the lids, and come in a lot of different sizes. Downside is they are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive than jars! But they seem to work perfectly fine, and once jars are available, should work great for storing leftovers in the fridge... :ROFLMAO:

I recently discovered several tins of tobacco in storage that I bought back in the early 2000's. The tins were opened, covered with their plastic lids, but stored where temperature and humidity were not controlled for 10–15 years. I tried to rehumidify one tin, but things did not go so well. The other tins, despite being quite dry, smoked just like they did a decade or more ago. I'm sure there are benefits to storing in better containers and conditions for long term cellaring, but there is no need to get crazy trying to do anything special short term.

Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.