PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I prefer Mason style jars for tobacco storage but they are out of stock everywhere but online. Online 12 jars cost about 9 bucks but shipping is 23 bucks. Will zip locks work? I really don't trust their seals much. My wife has Food Saver but they might off gas. I've read about Mylar bags, but I just want to buy some time until jars are available. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I prefer Mason style jars for tobacco storage but they are out of stock everywhere but online. Online 12 jars cost about 9 bucks but shipping is 23 bucks. Will zip locks work? I really don't trust their seals much. My wife has Food Saver but they might off gas. I've read about Mylar bags, but I just want to buy some time until jars are available. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Foodsaver is fine for a few years.
there are jars at every local store here now... Target.. Walmart... etc.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The problem with zip lock is the plastic isn't thick enough to keep moisture from working its way through.

I recommend having a brewing primary on hand. Keep original packaging and put inside. Good seal, no moisture loss, food grade, not ugly like a home depot bucket.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What Is so called Foodsaver supposed to be ? Plastic container I assume?
It’s like thicker plastic bag material with a heat/vacuum sealer
26be19cc-a879-4016-96e7-6f2fc1062d0b.10a165bd170e6e1a1deee8dc832ecd16.jpeg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I would guess they'd be available sometime this spring, so you shouldn't have to wait long. I keep mine in their original tins always, if it's bulk, I keep them in ziplocs with the air squeezed out. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't cellar any, but I keep bulk tobacco in ziplocs for up to a year with no issues at all.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Don’t laugh too much. In our house, my girlfriend keeps salad dressing jars to use for canning/freezing stuff. The lids have the same thread count as mason jars, and the lids have a sealing compound where the glass meets the rim of the jar. I send em through the dishwasher and have used a number of them...and they work just fine. Granted, I only use them for bulk stuff that I continuously smoke like OJK and Yorktown, so I’m in and out of those jars a lot. They might not hold a seal for years. So far so good, though! I haven’t seen any noticeable drying out, no mold...no difference really from a mason jar except it has a one piece lid.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Don’t laugh too much. In our house, my girlfriend keeps salad dressing jars to use for canning/freezing stuff. The lids have the same thread count as mason jars, and the lids have a sealing compound where the glass meets the rim of the jar. I send em through the dishwasher and have used a number of them...and they work just fine. Granted, I only use them for bulk stuff that I continuously smoke like OJK and Yorktown, so I’m in and out of those jars a lot. They might not hold a seal for years. So far so good, though! I haven’t seen any noticeable drying out, no mold...no difference really from a mason jar except it has a one piece lid.
I re-use jams/preserves jars for blends that I smoke often...not long term storage. The lids have a rubber type sealing similar to mason jars. I run them through the dishwasher and they're good to go.

If I have a mason jar that's almost empty, I will transfer it into a jam jar and re-use the mason jar for a new opened tin.

In the pic you'll see a small amount of Moontrance that I transferred to a jam jar to free up a mason jar for a new tin.
20210105_160056.jpg

I do this only for temporary storage.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To the OP, search for 7 mil, you won’t find any 7mm mylar bags. A “mil” is 1/1000th of an inch. 7mm is almost a third of an inch.

They also come as ziploc, so you can decide to heat seal or just ziploc them, depending on how long you’re storing.
Correct, my bad. 7 mm is actually .27" which would not be feasible. I buy 7 mil mylar bags on Amazon and have done so two times recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.