PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 2 aromatics in my cellar for when my mom comes over and they are Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce. Both smell great while being smoked and their flavors are not bad for an aromatic.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess vanilla is usually a crowd pleaser and is still a smokeable flavoring that allows the tobacco to be tasted. Some of the aromatics with rum, bourbon, liqueurs, and Irish whiskey are smokeable and seem to avoid offending non-pipe-smokers. I like caramel, cherries and chocolate and such, just not in my pipe.

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
I've never had any negative comments or remarks from family, friends or in social gatherings when I smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. It's an old school pipe aroma that most people find acceptable, as do I.

I've never had any negative comments or remarks from family, friends or in social gatherings when I smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. It's an old school pipe aroma that most people find acceptable, as do I.
I think most of the codger blends smell pretty dang good burning, except Borkum Riff. They are all like partial aromatics. Can't go wrong with them, but there are some better quality blends without the PC and additives that do smell better. IMO
But, if one prefers the Codger blends, the best thing is that they are still pretty easy to find.

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
I think most of the codger blends smell pretty dang good burning, except Borkum Riff. They are all like partial aromatics. Can't go wrong with them, but there are some better quality blends without the PC and additives that do smell better. IMO
But, if one prefers the Codger blends, the best thing is that they are still pretty easy to find.
Yep, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic! What can I say, I'm a SWR guy! LOL

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
We've tested this at home. When I smoke an aromatic, it smells ok when being smoked, but after an hour or so, it is absolutely the worst smelling tobacco. Something alchemical or magical happens to an aromatic after it has been smoked and lingers stale in the air. It takes on an ass smell.
But, a nice straight Virginia smells moderately good while smoking it, and leaves the best after smells. Unless you just hate the smell of tobacco, PERIOD. In that case, what the hell are you doing? Maybe take up juggling or something.

Latakia ranges, because there are so many different types of lat blends, but none of them left a great room note.

When we return home after a trip, where we've been out of the house for a few days or more, that home smell of lingering bowls of virginia or VaBurs... mmmmmm, just smells like home. It beats the hell out of cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for decades before giving them up for the pipe, and I never had that feeling when I returned to the house. It smells like an ashtray, and is embarrassing. Embarrassing to even think that I smelled like that at one time, but a quality Virginia... smells like heaven to return to.
I think aromatics shine in public, crowded outdoor venues, people smell the smoke as it wafts up...and then its gone. I have never really smoked them heavily indoors though and it is not too hard to believe the 'takes on an ass smell' after the fact. Although I am ass-uming you mean ass like I would say arse, and not just a donkey, because then we are back in the realms of barnyard flavour profile, usually ass-ociated with the virginia/dark fired bunch.

Tobacco with good room note and also somewhat enjoyable is Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. It is extremely bitey when fresh and needs to age 2-3 years.

I like Rattray’s Exotic Passion although as a tobacco it falls somewhat flat. I sometimes smoke it with some added strong burley based tobacco.

In fact you can buy any aromatic with a good room note and mix it 50:50 with a strong burley to get a satisfying smoke.

Savinelli Essenza Cipriota is an aromatic English which might satisfy both conditions

Erinmore is the best aromatic in my opinion but I am not sure of the room note

Reactions: Strandsbeachlocal
Feb 3, 2022
Hawaii
Excuse my ignorance (I'm a new pipe smoker) but what is a "codger" blend?
I'm no expert, but I use the term to refer to blends I think of my grandfather, father, and uncle used to smoke. Basically old OTC blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter R, Half & Half, Granger, and the like. Those are the ones I recognize now that I smoke, but I haven't figured out the cherry blend my grandfather smoked occasionally, but it was probably more cherry flavoring than tobacco. All sizzle, no steak.