Best Refillable Lighter-- Xikar, IM Corona or Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I Know this isn't on your list and they don't make them in Austria anymore but I'm going to recommend the IMCO 6700. Uses zippo fuel, has a spot for a spare flint, wind proof, adjustable flame, can be used like a match/candle, doesn't run out of fuel as fast as a Zippo, easier to manipulate than a Zippo (non pipe), doesn't leak in the pocket like a Zippo, smaller footprint than a Zippo. Love this lighter! New ones can be bought but they are made in china now which I have no experience with but I've heard they work well. Austrian ones can still be found on ebay and etsy though. View attachment 206386View attachment 206389View attachment 206390View attachment 206391
If you get a new one, get one of the new Japanese Windmill versions. They bought the tooling machines etc. from Imco when they went under (so I hear).

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have tried a lot of lighters because I have mobility issues with my hands. The Xikar was a problem from the moment I got it, can’t recommend. The two I consistently use now are my Corona IM Old Boy and a dollar store refillable version of the bic ez-reach. Meets and exceeds all my needs with no issues ever.

Bandik

Lurker
May 27, 2023
In terms of butane durability and performance, the IM Corona Old Boy is the way to go. It's a "buy once cry once" proposition. They're phenomenal lighters. I've had mine for close to 18 years now and it's a tank. That said, a lot of depends on where you're going to be smoking. If you're smoking a lot outdoors, you simply cannot beat a Zippo for outdoor smoking. The Old Boy just doesn't do wind well at all. Are you going to be traveling in your vehicle and smoking? My Old Boy does not leave my house. Its too darned expensive (and I bought mine back when they were $90) to risk losing. If money isn't an issue for you, then disregard that and take it wherever you go. Lighters just have a tendency to "walk off" if you know what I mean.

Think of it more as a tool for the job. My Zippo goes with me in the truck, on the jet, on the hiking trail, on a walk. My Old Boy stays home for when I smoke indoors or in my garage.

I'd get an Old Boy & a Zippo and be done with it.

Ghines04

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2023
Texas
For the cheap and on the go, the EZ Reach is what I use. No fuss or refills required.

Croc has a similar version at the Dollar Tree for $1.25.
My hang up with a bic lighter is more about the philosophical end of pipe smoking, not so much practical. One of the draws about pipe smoking is it's inherent push back to the throw away nature of post modern culture. To me, the bic goes with cigarettes (in large part due to family upbringing) and symbolizes the toss and go consumeristic parts of today's way of thinking. That, and the bic doesn't make the awesome "ching" sound that my zippo makes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My hang up with a bic lighter is more about the philosophical end of pipe smoking, not so much practical. One of the draws about pipe smoking is it's inherent push back to the throw away nature of post modern culture. To me, the bic goes with cigarettes (in large part due to family upbringing) and symbolizes the toss and go consumeristic parts of today's way of thinking. That, and the bic doesn't make the awesome "ching" sound that my zippo makes.
I smoke, therfore I am?

I tend to over analyze issues as it is. Adding more philosophy into the pipe smoking equation may cause me to short circuit.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't know. If you haven't figured out Zippo is the lighter to get, I'm not sure what else can be done. Breath smoking? Forget about it.

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I haven't seen anyone mention this one, but here's one sleeper vote is for the Comoy soft flame pipe lighter.

I think it cost me $25 when I bought it ten years ago. It's a piezo (non-flint) butane number. Butane capacity is about the same size as an IM Corona, but it's well sealed and well designed so it lasts a good long time. Never had a single problem with it. Honestly, it works better and more consistently than my Old Boy. Which is in for repairs. Again. I don't know, maybe I got a bad one, but mine seems like a Ferrari. Beautiful to look at. And sometimes it works, too.

Zippo is great as long as you don't mind the taste (I don't) and don't mind refilling often (I do). If you're like me and only smoke a few pipes a week, butane is probably a better option. Seems like I'll fill up the Zippo, a few days go by before I pack a pipe, and when I pick up the Zippo to use it all the fluid has already evaporated.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I love my Peterson when it’s not windy, but I also love my IMCOs. I have a 6600 Junior, 6800 Streamline and a couple 6700 Triplex lighters. They’re brilliant.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Spend the extra money and buy an IM Corona. Best performance and reliability I've used.
Took your advice. May have said so already but since it’s out here …. picked up an Old Boy awhile back. It is more solid and better built IMO than the similar Petersons (which I like fine as well) and out here without any breeze tonight it is easier to focus the flame in the bowl than my Zippos (which I love). image.jpg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I'm going to reiterate my vote for the IM Old Boy. It always lights, holds fuel well and good capacity, and just feels like a quality lighter. No problems at all with mine (knock on wood).

A few weeks back I got an IM Pipemaster. Not really too thrilled with it. Not sure if I got a dud or what. Seems to hold a decent amount of butane, but sometimes it takes multiple clicks to ignite, and it doesn't hold to the flame adjustment I set it to. I'll continue to use it along with my Old Boy, but I didn't expect this new lighter to have the problems its exhibiting.