Best Refillable Lighter-- Xikar, IM Corona or Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I have tried a few lighters, But I always go back to my Zippo's. I'll always use a Zippo. Except while Fly fishing or Surf fishing, and oil painting. Then I use a cheap bick lighter. I lose it and who cares. I also keep matches in my truck when all else fails.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
If you want a refillable butane pipe lighter then I think an IM Corona Old Boy is the way to go. That said I've got several high end refillable butane lighters that I don't use anymore -- they're too fiddly to keep operating. When I want to use butane I reach for a Bic EZ reach, they work fine till they don't and then they get tossed.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
If you really want an I'm corona old boy for less then $100 you will want to wait for ebay to have some up for auction. They don't come up often but every now and then a few people will put um up at the same time an one can be had for a decent price, anything new is gonna be over 100 bucks

Reactions: jpmcwjr

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Long time Old Boy user here. I sent it back for service last year after over 15 years of service where it’d been dropped on concrete a few times. It’s back strong as ever.

Only “complaint” is that it’s a soft flame so windy days can be problematic.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've had several mid-range refillable butane lighters. They're not bad, but they've all crapped out on me. I'm not hard on lighters. The one that has worked since 2007 without needing repair is my IM corona. I use it at home. When I'm out of the house, typically camping or visiting friends, I use a bic. I do have some of the EZ reach long bic lighters for my pipes with deeper bowls.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Clipper makes the same lighter but is refillable. Reliable and disposable.
Sorry, I didn't take the refillable requirement into account, but I figured that the Bic is so cheap that compared to the other lighters prices it was somewhat irrelevant. It's nice to know that there are cheaper and also refillable lighters similar to the Bic though. Also, I have nothing against higher priced lighters as I have several, and honestly there are no real substitutes for lighting in a breeze than a Zippo which are quite affordable.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Disclaimer: I've only owned this low-end lighter in the butane category.
But it's worked rather well for me. My first one lasted about 2 years I think...
I bought that first one for $20 I think, it worked well so I got a couple more somewhere for about the same price. I see some of them for as much as $60 on Ebay but I don't know why. The 1st one stopped working and I haven't investigated why yet, just broke out the 2nd one and been using it for a while. It has been reliable and I just keep re-filling.

Found this on a quick search:

Reactions: Ceriano