PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I find that a Pot shape works great for spreading out the heat and keeping the pipe more dry near the end. This is only my experience.

Agreed. I suppose every pipe with a larger chamber diameter is helpful there.

And of course be aware that most aromatics (at least of the Danish variety, Mac Baren and the likes) are designed to be smoked with filter, so they do produce more liquid.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Best Pipe Type for Aromatics

Any of them.

Am I correct that a pipe with the most significant bend in the shank is best to avoid the occasional mouthful of gross liquid?
Smoke slower and use a pipe cleaner from time to time to avoid moisture build up.

And of course be aware that most aromatics (at least of the Danish variety, Mac Baren and the likes) are designed to be smoked with filter, so they do produce more liquid.
Never heard that one before. Allow some air time, pack looser, and smoke slower and the moisture won't be an issue.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
He does not have to read it nowhere because it is logical...aromatics makes more gumbo in your pipe so if you use a filtered pipe you got less chance to drink that mess...
I'm around 50% aromatics smoked at this point and get no moisture buildup from them. If you don't smoke them hot enough to cause more moisture, most if not all of it burns off.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Likewise, I came across that concept early on in my pipe smoking, that a significant shank bend is useful when smoking aromatics (which is all I smoked for the first year or so). It certainly made an impression on me, as my primary aromatic pipe is a Savinelli Tortuga 614, a bent billiard doing its best to rival the extreme bend of an Oom Paul. This pipe also takes a 6mm balsa, which certainly helps in that regard.

Still, like Embers points out, the best strategies to avoid moisture buildup are drying longer, packing lighter, and puffing slower/gentler. These things make the biggest difference, regardless of what type of pipe you are using.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I picked up a Peterson system pipe early on in my pipe smoking career and it helped with excess moisture. Now that I've got a little more experience under the belt I don't have the moisture issue anymore. The Peterson helped me to develop my technique while still enjoying every smoke. Just don't dump your ash until you've dried the spigots reservoir out with a pipe cleaner. The military mount allows you to de-stem the pipe while hot so you can dry out the reservoir then dump ash and keep on smoking.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have a few carburetor pipes that I use for some aros that (gasp) I smoke undried. Half of them are old Kaywoodies. They moderate the temperature and transport the flavor in a humid, not steamy, smoke. Packing is likely a factor, but I just do it without thought.
Moisture really isn't an issue if you pack lighter and allow more oxygen in the chamber to burn it off.

helistone

Lurker
Jun 17, 2022
Germany
I almost exclusively smoke aromatic tobacco and notice it all gets very damp towards the end of my smoke. Am I correct that a pipe with the most significant bend in the shank is best to avoid the occasional mouthful of gross liquid? I was looking at an Oom Paul, Rhodesian, Bulldog, or Author-shaped pipe. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Are your pipes "gurgling" while smoking?
Do you hear the liquid building up?
If so, you could dry your moist tobacco a little bit and try to smoke slower.
You could also use a pipe- cleaner from time to time, to suck that liquids out.
I don't think the pipe shape has something to do with it...