PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Since January I have made 15 orders with SP most arrived directly to my house, a few went to to customs and a couple never arrived.I could never work out why some older orders arrived weeks after newer orders now I know.
Hi marconi, I’m in the South East, Newhaven, and was considering ordering from the States. What’s the delivery charge like and are there customs charges? tobaccoonline does American brands but you have to order a Kilo minimum, that’ll run to about £350. If appreciate your opinion on the matter if you don’t mind.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
At a guess, most members of the forum who are most knowledgable about US online vendors (and regularly buy from them), are themselves based here in the US.

So our own actual experience with say, Smoking Pipes, may not be much help to you. This said, Smoking Pipes does clearly state its international shipping policies (listing countries that they will NOT ship to), and Jordan is fine. Some others that are popular here, like Mars Cigars, for example, don't ship outside the US at all. But if I had not now gone to their website to check, I wouldn't know.

Some vendors are much better with answering emails than others (with all that this implies), even at the best of times. And generally in the US this is not the best of times.

Best of luck, and hopefully some overseas regulars will chime in.
reminds me that sometimes they say they won't ship to a country it can be worth asking why. I've had luck with that. The problem isn't always legal. Sometimes it's just that packages get lost too often or take a nightmare long time to get through. in the worth a try since it can't hurt to ask. I've found things I wanted badly and said to the seller I don't care if it takes forever I'll wait.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Were it me, I'd find a friend in the USA and get them to purchase the tobacco and ship it to me in modest portions. Label it books or something innocuous. If smoking were real important to me, I'd plan a trip somewhere I wanted to go that also has plenty of tobacco shops. I'd buy a bunch, ship the tobacco back home in multiple shipments while I was out of country and I'd carry as much as I could back in country. If a shipment or two gets nabbed by Customs, I'd consider it the cost of doing business.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Hi marconi, I’m in the South East, Newhaven, and was considering ordering from the States. What’s the delivery charge like and are there customs charges? tobaccoonline does American brands but you have to order a Kilo minimum, that’ll run to about £350. If appreciate your opinion
If
Hi marconi, I’m in the South East, Newhaven, and was considering ordering from the States. What’s the delivery charge like and are there customs charges? tobaccoonline does American brands but you have to order a Kilo minimum, that’ll run to about £350. If appreciate your opinion on the matter if you don’t mind.
Hi I only buy 4oz of bulk at a time from SP, that costs between $3-4 in postage which is very cheap. Anything under $15 has a good chance of getting through. Above that in my experience it gets stopped so tins are out. If they do catch you they send you a card through the post telling you how much you need to pay to get your goods.The amount they charge is different every time but it works out very expensive, you can pay online and get it delivered next day.
Unfortunately you came late to the party on buying from the EU. Before 31.1.20 you could buy online from Estervals five days later a nice DHL box would land on your doorstop full of tins of tobacco that were duty free and unavailable in the UK. Since leaving the single market DHL does not post to the UK anymore too much red tape. All the online German tobacco shops won't send to the UK anyway, because of the paperwork, which involves customs declaration about what's in the box. Even if they agreed to sell to the UK who is going to buy knowing you will have a large customs charge.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
If

Hi I only buy 4oz of bulk at a time from SP, that costs between $3-4 in postage which is very cheap. Anything under $15 has a good chance of getting through. Above that in my experience it gets stopped so tins are out. If they do catch you they send you a card through the post telling you how much you need to pay to get your goods.The amount they charge is different every time but it works out very expensive, you can pay online and get it delivered next day.
Unfortunately you came late to the party on buying from the EU. Before 31.1.20 you could buy online from Estervals five days later a nice DHL box would land on your doorstop full of tins of tobacco that were duty free and unavailable in the UK. Since leaving the single market DHL does not post to the UK anymore too much red tape. All the online German tobacco shops won't send to the UK anyway, because of the paperwork, which involves customs declaration about what's in the box. Even if they agreed to sell to the UK who is going to buy knowing you will have a large customs charge.
Bloody typical isn’t it! Have you looked at tobaccoonline uk? They offer American brands but you must order at least 1100grams although you can pick and mix different blends.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Bloody typical isn’t it! Have you looked at tobaccoonline uk? They offer American brands but you must order at least 1100grams although you can pick and mix different blends.
In my opinion I think its well dodgy and I would not touch it with a barge pole.
If you read some of the UK pipe forum posts about this they agree with the bard that Something is Rotten in the State of Denmark.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Would you still be able to ship tax free from estervals to someone in Ireland and then go over for the weekend via Northern Ireland?
Good idea I think the answer is yes. I'm due a Dublin/Peterson/Guinness factory trip with my American brother in law when we are allowed out. I'm also thinking that to get my HU fix its going to have to be a Eurostar trip to the nearest German city selling HU tobacco, or get an Esterval order sent to one of the hotels at Brussels Midi railway station for collection that's a day trip from Ebbsfleet.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
In my opinion I think its well dodgy and I would not touch it with a barge pole.
If you read some of the UK pipe forum posts about this they agree with the bard that Something is Rotten in the State of Denmark.
I did email them several days ago and haven’t heard anything back, that’s always a bad sign. I’m just going to be patient and wait till I’m allowed to Swap and Sell on here, there’s gotta be something here that’s unavailable in the US or elsewhere and worth trading. Our European friends might have trouble getting British tobacco and us there’s if things get bumpy for a while.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I did email them several days ago and haven’t heard anything back, that’s always a bad sign. I’m just going to be patient and wait till I’m allowed to Swap and Sell on here, there’s gotta be something here that’s unavailable in the US or elsewhere and worth trading. Our European friends might have trouble getting British tobacco and us there’s if things get bumpy for a while.
I have seen a lot of selling on this site but not any swaps and definitely no international swaps. I think your idea is a sound one but not sure how practical it is.What US tobaccos are you after?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
FYI, I have done tobacco swaps with members across the pond.
I think if there was a section in the tobacco buy/sell for swapping, could be worth investigating.
I have done this a bit too. However just privately with different forum members as opposed to advertising through the listings thread

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I have done this a bit too. However just privately with different forum members as opposed to advertising through the listings thread
Yes exactly, mine done privately also.
Maybe a swapping listing could be created. People could advertise what there after in hope that others could help.
Don't even have to swap, anyone wanting a particular brand that's available elsewhere could ask and if someone is willing buy the brand, then reship.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
FYI, I have done tobacco swaps with members across the pond.
I think if there was a section in the tobacco buy/sell for swapping, could be worth investigating.
Did you do this through PM's? How did it work out in practice.? It makes sense UKk members have easy access to G&H/Sam Gawith blends that many members in the US and the EU have difficulty obtaining.
I would be happy to swap blends.Now that the ESTERVAl door has slammed shut I would like to make swaps for HU and HH blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.