PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hi everyone--I understand that 4Noggins is one of the more popular options for "successful and affordable" shipping of tobacco internationally from the US; however, I've tried contacting them a number of times and received no response. Are there others that you can recommend? I know that nothing is 100%, but I'm looking for retailers who might give me good odds for not getting an expensive surprise when it finally arrives. TIA!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hi everyone--I understand that 4Noggins is one of the more popular options for "successful and affordable" shipping of tobacco internationally from the US; however, I've tried contacting them a number of times and received no response. Are there others that you can recommend? I know that nothing is 100%, but I'm looking for retailers who might give me good odds for not getting an expensive surprise when it finally arrives. TIA!
to what country?

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Pipefish- The following is just a suggestion.

Don't cold contact a company and ask them how they're going to break the law for you and expect a response.

If you are truly worried about things, try placing a very small order with a selection of companies you think might be worth dealing with and see what happens.

Would you consider answering a question about illegal activity to a total stranger? An online stranger?

Just a little perspective for you. Best of luck in your search.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Pipefish- The following is just a suggestion.

Don't cold contact a company and ask them how they're going to break the law for you and expect a response.

If you are truly worried about things, try placing a very small order with a selection of companies you think might be worth dealing with and see what happens.

Would you consider answering a question about illegal activity to a total stranger? An online stranger?

Just a little perspective for you. Best of luck in your search.
Yeah, you completely read way too much into my post and assumed a scenario that never happened so best I defend myself a bit here and add a bit more explanation; one that is actually tangential to my original post but here goes--Didn't cold call them; didn't talk to anyone; and I would never ask anyone to break the law on my behalf. I simply tried to place an order with them based on their very good international shipping reputation but for some reason when I typed in my address into their site it didn't allow me to click "next" so I couldn't advance my order. I sent three messages over a period of two weeks to their "Contact Us" link asking what I can do to put my order through but unfortunately received no response. I'm not even angry with 4Noggins (they're a good company), I was just asking for other suggestions. And nowhere in my original post did I mention asking them to break the law.

Now that we've cleared that up, might anyone recommend an alternative to 4Noggins for shipping outside of the US?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
At a guess, most members of the forum who are most knowledgable about US online vendors (and regularly buy from them), are themselves based here in the US.

So our own actual experience with say, Smoking Pipes, may not be much help to you. This said, Smoking Pipes does clearly state its international shipping policies (listing countries that they will NOT ship to), and Jordan is fine. Some others that are popular here, like Mars Cigars, for example, don't ship outside the US at all. But if I had not now gone to their website to check, I wouldn't know.

Some vendors are much better with answering emails than others (with all that this implies), even at the best of times. And generally in the US this is not the best of times.

Best of luck, and hopefully some overseas regulars will chime in.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have used Smokingpipes in the past as they offered a international shipping saver (between 50-75% cheaper than other retailers), and clearly declared the packages contents. With this shipping option I could justify ordering 4oz and not paying 2x the price of the tobacco in freight. However with larger orders, I always found a cupojoes to be the fastest to arrive. Either way I don’t purchase tobacco anymore.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I have used Smokingpipes in the past as they offered a international shipping saver (between 50-75% cheaper than other retailers), and clearly declared the packages contents. With this shipping option I could justify ordering 4oz and not paying 2x the price of the tobacco in freight. However with larger orders, I always found a cupojoes to be the fastest to arrive. Either way I don’t purchase tobacco anymore.
Thanks for the info, Ahi Ka. I did see today that smokingpipes offers a very affordable shipping rate; only about $8.00 for six ounces. Tobacco duties in Jordan run from 50%-180% so if I'm going to be hit with that massive cost, at least I'll save on the shipping! :LOL:

Reactions: Blembob and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do all domestic purchases so don't have firsthand experience. I do recall that 4noggins changed ownership/management two or three years ago. I think much of their international shipping expertise was based on the previous ownership, so they may simply not be as engaged with that as they once were. I don't know that, but it is possible. I guess you have tried a purchase and were rebuffed, so for now, I'd try elsewhere.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Living in Australia and now Brazil I've always found 4Noggins to be reliable shippers but absolutely useless at responding to emails (I don't think they've answered a single email since the ownership changed a few years ago).

I used SmokingPipes for a few tobacco orders to Australia without problems until Aussie tobacco import laws changed; I've placed a couple of orders for pipes from them for delivery to Brazil but the second one was rejected by Brazilian customs - SP have said they'll try and send it again when it finally gets back to them.

Reactions: seanv and pipefish

marconi

May 17, 2019
England

I totally agree with you, for orders up to 7 tins I have in the past used cupojoes unfortunately their postage rates have risen this year.I now order from SP and use the international shipping saver.For 4oz the postage is between $4-5 so I make lots of small orders.One 100g tin and 4oz bulk is about $8.The padded envelopes I receive through my front door letter box have Swiss post markings on them which is interesting.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I totally agree with you, for orders up to 7 tins I have in the past used cupojoes unfortunately their postage rates have risen this year.I now order from SP and use the international shipping saver.For 4oz the postage is between $4-5 so I make lots of small orders.One 100g tin and 4oz bulk is about $8.The padded envelopes I receive through my front door letter box have Swiss post markings on them which is interesting.
It’s using the military post system. So a container gets loaded up in the US and then sent to the post exchange in Switzerland where it is then sorted into regions and forwarded on. I used to enjoy the surprise of when stuff would arrive and try and crack the system, I.e later orders would arrive early as they were loaded I last

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Timelord- I never had problems getting pipes into Brazil. Just tobacco. SmokingPipes wouldn't even try to ship tobacco there.

I found that if a package landed in customs in Rio, it was doomed about 80% of the time. If it cleared in Sao Paulo, they all came through.

My house is in Sao Paulo, but it was about 50/50 if it came to Rio or Sao Paulo. Tough system in Rio, from my experience.
Tough delivery in Sao Paulo too, but for different reasons. For awhile, the postal trucks were getting bumped off by thieves on the way to my house. One day my tobacco came to my door with armed guards. I was very impressed that it was kept so secure.

Tough racket getting your goods into Brazil. It's really hit and miss. I order 2 packages at a time, when I have to, and stagger the time I order by a few days. That way usually at least 1 gets through. 2 is just a bonus.

Good luck.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Timelord- I never had problems getting pipes into Brazil. Just tobacco. SmokingPipes wouldn't even try to ship tobacco there.

I found that if a package landed in customs in Rio, it was doomed about 80% of the time. If it cleared in Sao Paulo, they all came through.

My house is in Sao Paulo, but it was about 50/50 if it came to Rio or Sao Paulo. Tough system in Rio, from my experience.
Tough delivery in Sao Paulo too, but for different reasons. For awhile, the postal trucks were getting bumped off by thieves on the way to my house. One day my tobacco came to my door with armed guards. I was very impressed that it was kept so secure.

Tough racket getting your goods into Brazil. It's really hit and miss. I order 2 packages at a time, when I have to, and stagger the time I order by a few days. That way usually at least 1 gets through. 2 is just a bonus.

Good luck.
I've had packages land in Sao Paulo, Curitiba and Rio. Yup; I've only had problems with the ones that land in Rio :rolleyes:

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Strange. I wonder what that is all about. Perhaps some different technology there. It's odd.

If you leave Brazil for anything, I found the best way to get tobacco in is to bring it yourself. I'll not be going back until the pandemic is a little more under control there, but when I do, I'll have a suitcase full of pipe tobacco to resupply. Getting it by mail is a real hassle.

I load up for at least 6 months worth now. Haven't been stopped yet, but I figure it's worth the risk of a hassle at the airport. Maybe it can be talked through with a little charm if there is trouble.

Only once have I sent my bags through that pre-rubber glove-rectum treatment x-ray machine with a huge haul of tobacco, but they waved me on through. Thought for sure they were going to get me that time, but they didn't care. They were looking for something else or just putting on a show.

Enjoy your summer! I hope to be back sometime in January.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Strange. I wonder what that is all about. Perhaps some different technology there. It's odd.

If you leave Brazil for anything, I found the best way to get tobacco in is to bring it yourself. I'll not be going back until the pandemic is a little more under control there, but when I do, I'll have a suitcase full of pipe tobacco to resupply. Getting it by mail is a real hassle.

I load up for at least 6 months worth now. Haven't been stopped yet, but I figure it's worth the risk of a hassle at the airport. Maybe it can be talked through with a little charm if there is trouble.

Only once have I sent my bags through that pre-rubber glove-rectum treatment x-ray machine with a huge haul of tobacco, but they waved me on through. Thought for sure they were going to get me that time, but they didn't care. They were looking for something else or just putting on a show.

Enjoy your summer! I hope to be back sometime in January.
Last time I flew in I was a bit cautious about tobacco; just brought in 11 (plus 1 open) tins between me and wifey (it should have been 10+1 (just to be on the posted limit) but I miscounted when packing. I was more worried about the 16 wrist watches in my suitcase!

Didn't get stopped. :col:

We had been planning short trip to London in May but obviously that didn't happen and has been postponed until who knows when :sher:

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
It’s using the military post system. So a container gets loaded up in the US and then sent to the post exchange in Switzerland where it is then sorted into regions and forwarded on. I used to enjoy the surprise of when stuff would arrive and try and crack the system, I.e later orders would arrive early as they were loaded I last

Since January I have made 15 orders with SP most arrived directly to my house, a few went to to customs and a couple never arrived.I could never work out why some older orders arrived weeks after newer orders now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.