PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Trying something new need not be a radically expensive or shocking thing. You don't have to buy hundreds of dollars' worth of tins and pouches to try a few ounces of some representative blends from the differing families. I'm among those who think that lots of novice smokers really SHOULDN'T be starting with the majority of aromatics that get recommended.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I don’t buy the whole “tip-toe” into it transition thing. Just jump right into a nice English or Balkan and appreciate its difference from those aromatics you’ve been smoking. PS/Arango Balkan Supreme is tough to beat, and available as bulk. Same for Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture Match and Sutliff Balkan Sobranie 759 Match.
I agree. Try an ounce sampler of any of those - no harm, no foul, as the saying goes. If the OP doesn't care for those, there are still lots of aromatics to try.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t buy the whole “tip-toe” into it transition thing. Just jump right into a nice English or Balkan and appreciate its difference from those aromatics you’ve been smoking. PS/Arango Balkan Supreme is tough to beat, and available as bulk. Same for Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture Match and Sutliff Balkan Sobranie 759 Match.
Agreed and I think there would be a much higher success rate as far as people actually sticking with the pipe if they were offered more full bodied blends early on in their venture. You hear so often these beginners complaining that they don’t taste anything, “It just tastes like hot steam” because they are trying out Captain Black or a similar heavily steamed, heavily topped black Cavendish blend. They end up burning their tongues off because they are puffing on the pipe like a freight train trying to get some flavor out of it. Give someone a stout English and they are going to taste something guaranteed, whether they get on with Latakia is one thing but that’s all a part of the journey, discovering what you like. It doesn’t necessarily have to even be a Latakia blend but in this case the individual was asking specifically for a Lat blend. You give an individual a blend with big taste they won’t be puffing so hard on the pipe trying to find some flavor, they’ll learn that they get plenty of flavor from sipping the pipe.

Anyway, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I would try Vauen: English Blend No. 22 50g.

Vauen No. 22 English Blend is a creamy English crossover, blended from smokey Latakia, black Cavendish, golden Virginia, and just a pinch of Burley for spice, then lightly topped in vanilla and bourbon for a touch of extra sweetness.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks everyone for the input. Definitely two different approaches suggested here - go gradual and go all in. I can see the wisdom in both. As for me, generally I'm more conservative and slow. To use a child learning to swim analogy, I'd learn better starting in the shallow end of the pool with floatation devices on my arms and with a patient teacher. My wife, on the other hand, learned to swim when her dad threw her in the deep end of the pool! She found it exhilarating and has loved the water ever since. If that was done to me, I would have been terrified and still have nightmares of going in the water. :)

So, I'm not sure I'm ready for a super strong Latakia blend right now. I did just have my second EMP bowl today and enjoyed it much more than yesterday and feel like I'm starting to get what's special about this type of blend over my normal aromatics. So maybe I don't need an English aromatic - maybe just other "light" English blends for now?

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
I'm a new pipe smoker and took the path you are following. I didn't spend much time with aros but they were the first. Then smoked a lot of HGL and Sutliff Aro/Eng. Moved on to other englishes recommended here and then to Balkans where I found a favorite in Balkan Supreme. I sensed something new about each one and now am back on the Aro englishes. I think these blends are a fantastic place to be.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Thanks everyone for the input. Definitely two different approaches suggested here - go gradual and go all in. I can see the wisdom in both. As for me, generally I'm more conservative and slow. To use a child learning to swim analogy, I'd learn better starting in the shallow end of the pool with floatation devices on my arms and with a patient teacher. My wife, on the other hand, learned to swim when her dad threw her in the deep end of the pool! She found it exhilarating and has loved the water ever since. If that was done to me, I would have been terrified and still have nightmares of going in the water. :)

So, I'm not sure I'm ready for a super strong Latakia blend right now. I did just have my second EMP bowl today and enjoyed it much more than yesterday and feel like I'm starting to get what's special about this type of blend over my normal aromatics. So maybe I don't need an English aromatic - maybe just other "light" English blends for now?
And there are some other blends with some complexity that aren't heavy on stronger tobaccos. L.J. Peretti has a milder blend called "English 110" that has oriental and latakia, and it's pretty easygoing. Their Cuban Mixture is an old burley blend that has a nice blend of flavors without being harsh or domineering (it also has a slight mint topping without being loaded up on the flavor - it's good!). You have a pretty broad choice without going whole hog into the stouter Englishes or Balkans.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would try Vauen: English Blend No. 22 50g.

Vauen No. 22 English Blend is a creamy English crossover, blended from smokey Latakia, black Cavendish, golden Virginia, and just a pinch of Burley for spice, then lightly topped in vanilla and bourbon for a touch of extra sweetness.
also Vauen Zeppelin.. very under-rated

• Wow
Reactions: dcon and anotherbob

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Surprised no one has mentioned this one, but Presbyterian Mixture. It's light and although supposedly has no topping, smells a bit of vanilla in the tin and in the room (according to my wifey). You'll get a base of gentle Virginias with a little Oriental & Latakia that are never overpowering, but are there to introduce you to the genre & their characteristics.

Reactions: dcon and ArtAraya

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I disagree with several responses. I see nothing wrong with transitioning from aros to an aromatic English ( I might add Boswell’s Northwoods to that list). The suggestions of EMP and 965 are, also, fine introductions coming from aros. However, if I see Balkan Supreme recommended one more time as an “introductory English“ I am going to f___ing scream! To Hell with that, I AM screaming, right NOW!

Balkans are great. They may even be my favorite genre (but, Balkan Supreme sure as hell is not my favorite Balkan, or even close...). Balkans are NOT a good introduction to English blends. They are blends to be appreciated once a a more traditional English, with much lighter proportions of both Latakia and Orientals, have been smoked. My advice comes from introducing many new smokers to the pipe and tobaccos, when I was actually managing smoke shops and 40+ years of pipe smoking.

There are many analogies that come to mind. But, rather than be a smart ass, I would suggest that when forum members offer advice to new smokers, or smokers of a new leaf, that we read and see from where they are coming. Not everybody needs to be immediately introduced to your personal favorite. If someone is telling you that they are coming from aros, the aromatic English or lighter English blends are a logical introduction.
So don’t say Pirate Kake? ? In all honesty I second what you’re saying here. HGL is a good cross over English or whatever the cool kids are calling it now.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I know a very long time pipe smoker who mixes BCA and Latakia at varying proportions and loves it. Maybe 90% BCA and 10% Latakia and see how it goes? I’ve never tried it since I don’t keep either on hand but he says it’s like smokey dark chocolate.

Reactions: ArtAraya

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
A pleasing introduction on the mild side, though availability in the future is unlikely, is Nat Sherman 536. I think SP still has this in inventory. The Nat Sherman flagship (and only) store on Manhattan is closing or has closed.
I wouldn't be surprised if STG buys the rights to continue manufacturing and marketing the Nat Sherman pipe blends, as they already produce them.

Status
Not open for further replies.