PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I've been primarily an aromatic smoker and would like to try some other tobacco types. What would be the easiest introduction into English blends for me?

I just smoked Early Morning Pipe this morning. It was pretty good and I will definitely smoke it again. But are there others that would make the transition easier for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm just here for tips on aromatic English blends I haven't heard of puffy

But I will add a recommendation as well - Hearth & Home White Knight. It's not aromatic at all, but it is quite sweet and of course smoky. I think you might like it. It's one of my very favorite latakia blends, and it's based on the famous and much lauded Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture from the 60's and 70's.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I disagree with several responses. I see nothing wrong with transitioning from aros to an aromatic English ( I might add Boswell’s Northwoods to that list). The suggestions of EMP and 965 are, also, fine introductions coming from aros. However, if I see Balkan Supreme recommended one more time as an “introductory English“ I am going to f___ing scream! To Hell with that, I AM screaming, right NOW!

Balkans are great. They may even be my favorite genre (but, Balkan Supreme sure as hell is not my favorite Balkan, or even close...). Balkans are NOT a good introduction to English blends. They are blends to be appreciated once a a more traditional English, with much lighter proportions of both Latakia and Orientals, have been smoked. My advice comes from introducing many new smokers to the pipe and tobaccos, when I was actually managing smoke shops and 40+ years of pipe smoking.

There are many analogies that come to mind. But, rather than be a smart ass, I would suggest that when forum members offer advice to new smokers, or smokers of a new leaf, that we read and see from where they are coming. Not everybody needs to be immediately introduced to your personal favorite. If someone is telling you that they are coming from aros, the aromatic English or lighter English blends are a logical introduction.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I disagree with several responses. I see nothing wrong with transitioning from aros to an aromatic English ( I might add Boswell’s Northwoods to that list). The suggestions of EMP and 965 are, also, fine introductions coming from aros. However, if I see Balkan Supreme recommended one more time as an “introductory English“ I am going to f___ing scream! To Hell with that, I AM screaming, right NOW!

Balkans are great. They may even be my favorite genre (but, Balkan Supreme sure as hell is not my favorite Balkan, or even close...). Balkans are NOT a good introduction to English blends. They are blends to be appreciated once a a more traditional English, with much lighter proportions of both Latakia and Orientals, have been smoked. My advice comes from introducing many new smokers to the pipe and tobaccos, when I was actually managing smoke shops and 40+ years of pipe smoking.

There are many analogies that come to mind. But, rather than be a smart ass, I would suggest that when forum members offer advice to new smokers, or smokers of a new leaf, that we read and see from where they are coming. Not everybody needs to be immediately introduced to your personal favorite. If someone is telling you that they are coming from aros, the aromatic English or lighter English blends are a logical introduction.

:ROFLMAO: Well at least we got that off your chest!

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I'm just here for tips on aromatic English blends I haven't heard of puffy

But I will add a recommendation as well - Hearth & Home White Knight. It's not aromatic at all, but it is quite sweet and of course smoky. I think you might like it. It's one of my very favorite blends, and it's based on the famous and much lauded Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture from the 60's and 70's.
I get the bulk version of this, which is the Sutliff Balkan Sobraine Original Match, and it is out of this world. I've bought two pounds of it since trying it in March. Not sure if it is what you're looking for in an aromatic English though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I again suggest Balkan Supreme. It's very good shit.. plus the price is right for stocking up, If you like it.
I agree with this. You don’t necessarily need a crossover English if you are coming from aromatics. I say go all the way and this is a damn good English/Balkan, almost as good as Skiff Mixture in my opinion. My pipe smoking really began when I tried my first English blend before that I was trying black cavendish blends that smelled good in the tin or jar, if I stayed in that direction I would have never kept smoking a pipe.

I don’t see anything wrong with going to a full flavored tobacco like this. In fact it would be best if he tried a lil bit of some of the suggestions posted here and then he can make up his own mind.

It’s one thing if he goes to a B&M and asks this question but if you are asking in an open forum you are going to get a lot of different responses, none of which are wrong!

Last edited:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I don't see where he asked for an aromatic english..
He mentioned what he was currently smoking, “I am an aromatic smoker”. That was your clue and my tip about where the smoker is coming. Just as one would probably not recommend an aromatic to someone trying to kick Camels, it makes little sense to throw someone into something uniquely dissimilar to what they currently smoke.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I personally don't find much use for an aromatic english.. so If I guess personal taste does impact what a person's suggestion might be. I'd never suggest suggesting a blend you don't like.

Reactions: hawky454
Status
Not open for further replies.