PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Oliva V (and Oliva in general) is not a cigar/maker I'd consider to be a hype/marketing creation, personally. Hell, they've released like 2 new cigars in the past decade, which is kind of charming compared to some companies that do a ton of new and/or limited releases each year. I do prefer the original Habano-seed wrapper to the maduros on the Vs, though, and that's generally my preference across most cigars that have "natural" and maduro options.

Variety is too important to me to truly have a daily cigar. If I was forced to smoke one cigar every day, Illusione Fume D'Amor (CG size), Fuente Rosado Sungrown (44, 52 and even 54 would all be fine), Por Larranaga Montecarlos and Padron Londres would all be in the running. All good, somewhat affordable and not the kind of cigars that will fry the palate and make it hard to enjoy subsequent cigars. If price was less of a concern, the Trinidad Reyes might be an option, too.
The Montecarlos are probably my all time favorite cigar. So well-balanced. If habanos moves to discontinue those, I might need an equity loan and another cooler to stock up.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The Montecarlos are probably my all time favorite cigar. So well-balanced. If habanos moves to discontinue those, I might need an equity loan and another cooler to stock up.
I've only gone through one box, but thought they could be exhibit A in why price and quality don't necessarily line up. I've never had Cohiba Corona Especiales, but I'd be shocked if they were any better at like 4-5 times the price.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've only gone through one box, but thought they could be exhibit A in why price and quality don't necessarily line up. I've never had Cohiba Corona Especiales, but I'd be shocked if they were any better at like 4-5 times the price.
If they were the same price, I'd pick the Montecarlos 4 out of 5 times. Cohiba are a great blend (especially the skinnies), but nowhere near my favorite Havana blend. Hell, I prefer Trinidad to Cohiba by a wide margin.

The Montecarlos age very well, too.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Man O' War Puro Authentico! Great little smokes...
WG3b3eM.jpg

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I'd happily smoke these everyday: Padron Londres Maduro, El Rey del Mundo Demi-tasse (as long as I could smoke several), Partagas Shorts, Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro (Petit Corona), Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 (Machito), La Flor Dominicana Air Bender (Poderoso), My Father Le Bijou 1922 (Petit Robusto), or Tatuaje Brown Label Noellas.

And if price were no barrier, I'd be more than delighted to smoke Vegas Robaina Famosos every single goddamn day.

Reactions: danimalia

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I stopped by my B&M yesterday and grabbed a couple Perdomo Small Batch 2005 Maduro and Connecticut sticks. I've never tried them, but the owner said they are among his everyday smokes.

I'll see what I think later today...

Status
Not open for further replies.