PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up a pack of Middleton's Cherry because the wife liked it when her grandfather smoked it. I had to cut it with some Boswell Burley blend. It was OK mixed that way.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Prince Albert is a good smoke. I have never bought it in pouches though. Only in their plastic "tins". It does not have a noticeable topping, which is what I like about it. Carter Hall is not bad, but it seems to be a little moist to have no topping as some have claimed.
Nothing wrong with a cob. My first pipe was a Sanda but it broke before I got a chance to smoke it, so I bought a cob. I have quickly moved on and now have over 30 pipes:) I still smoke my cobs, but have other pipes that I like better.
One of my favorite pipes is a Savinelli Natural. I purchased 2, and they were both under $40. Great no frills smoker. If I knew I was going to be obsessed with pipe smoking I would have just bought 7 of these.... It might have saved me some money????

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've only tried PA( didn't like it) and captain black white, that's good stuff, I keep a pouch around and smoke it once and a while. I read good things about walnut, I would love to try it but I don't want to buy a whole can... If anyone has some, pm me and i can send you some money for a couple of bowls

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I've only tried PA and the Captain Black stuff. I liked the CB Royal (Blue) and the PA, the other CB stuff is just ok.

torcoman

Lurker
Apr 14, 2011
Here in Greece Drug store tobacco is really common and dominant in comparison with "good/luxurious" tobaccos. Although pipe tobacco is really expensive here, cigarettes are really cheap in comparison to other countries such as the UK. We have Skandinavic,Amphora, CB white and Gold, Borkum Riff and Erinmore mixture(my favorite from all of the above) which i would place it somewhere between tin quality and drug store tobacco. We used to also have mac baren in pouches though i cant find them anymore. Generally speaking the only "Good" tobaccos i can find in Greece is W.O larsen and Davidoff which tend to be a rare sight if not already.Most pipe smokers here including me buy online. So yea Erinmore mixture pouch for me then CB white...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Carter Hall for a good burley fix . And Walgreens is made by Altadis USA shhhhh dont tell anyone if the word gets out it might go up in price . My friend Bud likes the Vanilla mixture and the Burley light is pretty good .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'll ask this quietly: :lol:
And Walgreens is made by Altadis USA
Really?

I haven't tried the Walgreen's brand... No chemical taste late in the bag?

I'll have to give it a try.

Don't worry I won't tell anyone.

:puffy:

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
When you're retired, and live on peanuts, sometimes the cost of things has to play a role in one's purchasing of items,

so in one of those times when I was broke, (which is every Month)...

I bought a big bag of Blenders Gold Royal Cherry Cavendish which I purchased at Walgreens, and I like it a lot.

It's a very wet tobacco, but mine has been 'aging' for two years...(and it's still wet), but it is one of my favorite tobaccos....Hey, at about $6.00 for 12 oz. I love it.
Now let's keep this to ourselves, because I'll just deny it. :puffy:

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Edit to last post....Now that I recall, the tobacco wasn't $6.00, it was more like $10.00 or so.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
No, it was a couple of years ago, and it has been aging all that time, but I don't think it was that much, at least not at this Walgreens.

I haven't bought any in a couple of years, now with the tobacco cost increase, as well as the taxes, it probably is closer to fifteen bucks.

micwarfield

Lurker
Jul 8, 2011
For me, it used to be Amphora - but then they stopped selling it here in the USA. Now, it's probably Captain Black, or Alsbo Gold. I've mixed Red Cap, with Alsbo, but none these really do it for me. I much prefer a nice tin of something good from my local tobacconist.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Osco used to sell some of the Iwan Ries Blends back in the '70s and '80s.
That's the ladt time I bought anything from a drug store that was worth smoking. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.