PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am surprised any business produces catalogues these days.With the internet it seems a bit of a waste of paper in this supposedly environmental world and I would be surprised if it was cost effective,although I guess it must be as they are being produced and sent out.

by the way I am not in any way an environmentalist

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like paper catalogs, though everything seems to be online today, so a lot of my catalog reading is off the screen. However, I do enjoy the Pipes and Cigars catalog when it shows up, and especially the Iwan Ries catalog, though those seem to arrive few and far between, annually I guess.

Hard copy fills a niche that screen devices never will. I'm not sure why. The portability and adaptability of hard copy is superior. I can nearly always arrange a page to read outdoors, whereas glare off a screen is a perpetual problem. There's no wifi variability. Making notes in the margin is always easier and more expressive than what you can do on a screen. I'm atavistic, but also correct. I have a kindle, but I just don't enjoy reading a book that way. Articles online aren't as intense as the print on the page. Online was supposed to put books and magazines out of business, but it didn't.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I like paper catalogs, though everything seems to be online today, so a lot of my catalog reading is off the screen. However, I do enjoy the Pipes and Cigars catalog when it shows up, and especially the Iwan Ries catalog, though those seem to arrive few and far between, annually I guess.

Hard copy fills a niche that screen devices never will. I'm not sure why. The portability and adaptability of hard copy is superior. I can nearly always arrange a page to read outdoors, whereas glare off a screen is a perpetual problem. There's no wifi variability. Making notes in the margin is always easier and more expressive than what you can do on a screen. I'm atavistic, but also correct. I have a kindle, but I just don't enjoy reading a book that way. Articles online aren't as intense as the print on the page. Online was supposed to put books and magazines out of business, but it didn't.
Call me old school but I agree too. just something about studying with paper is almost a lost art.

Reactions: Nevaditude

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The 1914 Barling Catalog is available illegally from a Chinese site. The posting is illegal, as the restoration is copyrighted, but the Chinese don't respect that any more than do Americans or many, many people who think it's their right to steal the work of others.

You can also buy inferior illegal copies from a corrupt eBay seller, who is charging way too much. Just do the Chinese download. It's better quality, though not nearly the quality of the edition I published, and it's free.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I am surprised any business produces catalogues these days.With the internet it seems a bit of a waste of paper in this supposedly environmental world and I would be surprised if it was cost effective,although I guess it must be as they are being produced and sent out.

by the way I am not in any way an environmentalist
Having worked in print most of my life, I'll admit that all of the pipe and cigar catalogs that i get go directly into recycling. You really aren't going to learn anything from a sales catalog, just the usual marketing drivel. My shopping is done online.

Reactions: Egg Shen and paulfg

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
P&C is the only catalogue I receive in the mail. Everyone else sends emails. Ive had some difficulty getting and ordered filled from P&C recently, so I dont plan on doing business with P&C in the future. I have had good experiences and customer support from SP and TP, as well as 4Noggins, CupOJoes, and Country Squire.

Reactions: Servant King

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
The 1914 Barling Catalog is available illegally from a Chinese site. The posting is illegal, as the restoration is copyrighted, but the Chinese don't respect that any more than do Americans or many, many people who think it's their right to steal the work of others.

You can also buy inferior illegal copies from a corrupt eBay seller, who is charging way too much. Just do the Chinese download. It's better quality, though not nearly the quality of the edition I published, and it's free.
ah not interested in illegal material. Thanks anyways

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Finck Cigar Company has an attractive catalog, about 90% cigar-related, 10% pipes and tobacco. I kept the last issue because it explains the different versions of Macanudo, Romeo y Julieta, etc. I find catalogs even more seductive than visiting websites. And where else can you get those big, honkin' Travis Club perfectos?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
P&C could stand to ease up on the catalog frequency. I’m not sure how they think a person could go through cigars so fast as to require a monthly/ near-monthly catalogue. There is seldom anything new in them. But, as others have mentioned good while on the throne, but then it’s the recycling bin.

I prefer hard copy for books. I really don’t miss the magazine though, my tablet is an ok substitution for them.