PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Clearly the people involved in this thread don't like English/Latakia blends. How is Honeydew got some many votes. Heck, Ennerdale is still in over some great English blends. Good lord.

Peterson/Dunhill - Flake +2
Any thread like this, the winner is ALWAYS going to be a VA based blend, that's pretty much a given.

People prefer Pegasus and anything sickeningly over-done chocolate flavor added to any other burley, if that tells you anything about their taste (or lack thereof) for burley. English is always getting the shortest end of the stick though being even further removed from their precious VAs. Contentious stuff like Lakelands doesn't count, that's just a civil war like people who taste cilantro as citrusy vs those to whom it tastes of soap. "I used to like English when I was a noobz, now I only smoke VA".

I feel you on this one, but we're in the minority. I like Virginia based tobaccos, but they're also way overrated and English way underrated. Look at the announcement of Toscano (?) Maestro... so many go out of their way to say "ew, Lat, what garbage" or whatever. Meanwhile if it's a VA, they're tripping over themselves to hoard it all up like it's gold in a sea of dog shit.

It's like how 99% of all deserts at restaurants are chocolate based, and what few aren't are almost always cheesecake. Or how 90% of stuff comes in mountains of cheese. Why all the worst stuff is the most beloved is beyond my comprehension. Would it kill a restaurant to offer a blondie for a desert? Probably, because I'd be the only one to want that option. Chocolate is one of the most overrated and disgusting foods next to cheese, and yes, that even includes "real European chocolate that doesn't have barf chemical" or whatever nonsense excuse people use to justify why someone might hate chocolate.

Last edited:

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Any thread like this, the winner is ALWAYS going to be a VA based blend, that's pretty much a given.
The thing about English blends is that haters hate it more than enthusiasts love it, and I believe that's largely due to smell. If English blends smelled like cherry, onlookers would compliment it and smoking it would become more pleasurable for the smoker, which would lead to more affinity, etc.

English blends don't smell like cherry, however. They smell like yesterday's bonfire and last week's mangled leather soles. (I say this as a fan of English blends.)

The point to be made here is: nobody in this thread believes that the best blend will win Best Blend. This game is about the journey, not the destination. 😎

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The thing about English blends is that haters hate it more than enthusiasts love it, and I believe that's largely due to smell. If English blends smelled like cherry, onlookers would compliment it and smoking it would become more pleasurable for the smoker, which would lead to more affinity, etc.

English blends don't smell like cherry, however. They smell like yesterday's bonfire and last week's mangled leather soles. (I say this as a fan of English blends.)

The point to be made here is: nobody in this thread believes that the best blend will win Best Blend. This game is about the journey, not the destination. 😎
Au Contrair, Mon Ami.
This thread is about spite and internecine rivalry. And annointing the LCD tobacco.

Ennerdale -2

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
People prefer Pegasus and anything sickeningly over-done chocolate flavor added to any other burley, if that tells you anything about their taste (or lack thereof) for burley.
What a weird comment. Have you ever smoked Pegasus? I wonder. I'm not going to debate you on its finer points, but one thing that is definitely appealing about it is its natural tobacco flavour. It might have a very light casing, but it tastes primarily like tobacco. The small amount of Cavendish it contains is unflavoured.