PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I enjoy aro's from time to time, right now I have Hyde Park, Mixture Monster, Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, and Old Tobey open and on the baccy shelf.

All of these are quality tobaccos that burn fine without excessive drying rituals and leave no goop.
My preference is light to no toppings but it is nice to change things up.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
yeah it sucks having to smoke top-quality blends instead of syrup-doused dung
Pretty good, Bugg. In one fleeting statement, you have just put down not only hundreds of blends, many good makers, but all the people here who smoke them as well. I think in another recent thread, mso stated that aros make up 95% of the market? Imagine if the industry lost that.
I did a quick survey of all of Russ's blends, Scotty's, C&D, G, H & Co., Lane, McClelland and P. Stokkebye--- I came up with conservatively about 28% of their collective blends, about 255 out of 917 that I would consider "hard" aromatics; stuff with obviously added non-tobacco casings. I'm sure none of these companies taste or test their blends before sending them to market or say to themselves: This tastes like shit! Let's sell it. ;^/
To be clear, I have never been an aro smoker, at least that I was aware of. I smoked blends like McB Virginia #1 early on which I later found was considered one, but I mean the stuff with the obvious non-tobacco flavors and names.
Months back I was finally talked into a cherry blend and I tried Cult BRM. I found I could like it if dried enough or blended with other things. So I tried others. I have found a number of aros, the stuff with an obvious added casing that were OK to quite good and have added them to my collection. I still eschew the stuff that sounds like candy or sweet but perhaps someday I will try a few of them as well. To say that none of them are any good, not top quality or are all crap just because YOU don't like them or haven't bothered to get the hang of smoking them is your choice, but I find it sadly short-sighted. Many aros can provide a delightful alternative to the traditional smoke.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Man, Jerwynn, you just about listed out a good portion of my "want to try" aromatic list!
My favorite aros at the moment: Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, Cult Blood Red Moon, HPSC Trout Stream, SG Firedance Flake, SG Grousemoor, EITC Cellar Reserve, Dan Blue Note, Peterson's Founder's Choice(formerly St Patricks Day 2015), and several others. These are all very different and I love the variety!
I'll add McClelland Holiday Spirit, Sutliffe R-blend and Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde as some of my favorites.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To say that none of them are any good, not top quality or are all crap just because YOU don't like them or haven't bothered to get the hang of smoking them is your choice, but I find it sadly short-sighted.
I agree, short-sightedness is the problem! Try sitting a little closer to your monitor, maybe you'll be able to read what I write with better comprehension. I smoke aros, I just don't smoke ones made from floor-sweepings burley soaked in syrup. Not all of them are crap, just a lot. Here and there are some standouts that smoke well, don't ghost, don't leave a puddle of poo in the pipe, and have enough nicotene so it's not like smoking hot air. Like you I enjoy BRM mixed with other blends. Lane BCA likewise, mixed with other blends. (Mainly this is due to the almost total absence of nicotene in those blends...if it doesn't matter, then they smoke fine straight). 4th Generation 1931 flake is definitely an aro, but it uses good-quality tobacco and behaves like a good-quality blend and has a decent nic-hit. GL Pease The Virginia Cream is an excellent aro, although it bites easily if smoked at more than a snail's pace. A bit of BCA mixed in tames the bite without altering the flavor profile negatively. Even Amphora, which I would class as a light aro, is a halfway decent smoke.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but my favorite I've had is Tinderbox Reserve 1928.

Status
Not open for further replies.