PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Yeah that must be my problem, don't know how to pack and smoke a pipe. Apparently I'm not the only one who never got the hang of it either, because bite, wet-smoking goop-production is a problem tons of veteran pipers have with a large percentage of aros.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Boswell Pipes has some very nice aros. What I like most about Boswell's aros is that they don't bite and they are not goopy. Just plain good tobacco from folks who both know tobaccos and pipes.
Transparency: I have no stock in Boswell's, but I do smoke their pipes and tobaccos.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Without question: Merde de Cheval Blend
Review here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3655/f-k-merde-de-cheval

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love aromatics. Lane RLP-6 is my absolute favorite smoke followed by a 50/50 blend of Lane MV1000 and Lane BCA. In the past I also enjoyed Lane's TK-6 for a cherry smoke and their Black Raspberry. I guess it is safe to say I have no problem with Lane tobacco; however, for the record I have some Trout Stream, Mac B Vanilla Cream and Erinmore mixture arriving in the mail this weekend (at least hopping for a Sat. delivery)

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Yeah that must be my problem, don't know how to pack and smoke a pipe. Apparently I'm not the only one who never got the hang of it either, because bite, wet-smoking goop-production is a problem tons of veteran pipers have with a large percentage of aros.
You know, it is so easy to blame the tobacco rather than the person smoking it. I've tried about 30 different aros over the past several months and I cannot say I have had any real problem smoking any of them, except C&D Dark Chocolate, and that was mainly a taste issue. Just because a lot of people think one way does not necessarily make them right, Bug, don't forget, at one time everyone thought the world was flat and you'd fall off the edge. Turns out they were all wrong.
Or I have been very, very lucky. In a recent thread on getting an aromatic recommendation, I noted a great many of the respondents started off by saying they were not really much of an aro smoker. If all your aros are wet and goopy, I'm guessing you are not much of one either. But I can see by your sarcastic attitude, you think you already know it all, so there is really no point trying to tell you anything. In fact, you know so much Bug, you should probably start your own forum, right?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I don't know if it counts as an aro... it's more like a full-on VA flake... but SG Brown Sugar Flake is moving up through my list! Just had some on the porch last evening as the sun set... sublime peace and equanimity took hold and I was one with the universe. Ahhhhhhhh.... And it smelt good too!!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I found that Boswell's dried my mouth out severely, so I stopped smoking them. As far as flavor is concerned Boswell's does pack some serious punch in that department.
I have recently found some aro's that have no issues with dry mouth or any other issue so I am enjoying them just like I would any other tobacco. Here is a list that I have been stocking in my cellar.
Cult: Blood Red Moon

Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Sutliff Molto Dolce

Peterson University Flake

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If all your aros are wet and goopy, I'm guessing you are not much of one either. But I can see by your sarcastic attitude, you think you already know it all
None of my aros are wet and goopy. 4th Generation 1931 Flake and GL Pease's The Virginia Cream are not wet and goopy. There are others. Many aros are merely cheap burley soaked in flavored syrup, and those smoke wet and goopy.
And I don't know it all, just more than a relative noob such as yourself.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
And I don't know it all, just more than a relative noob such as yourself.
Apparently you don't even read my posts well enough to know I've been smoking pipes and cigars since about 1973. Noob my ass.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I just tried Sillem's Black last night... BIZARRE but WONDERFUL!! Lotsa latakia, lotsa aromatic elements. I bought it on a whim, almost disbelieving the tobacco descriptions... thought it improbable and impossible, but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Whoda thunkit??!!!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Superlatives and "aromatic" cannot live together in any sentence I could construct unless one considers Latakia to be an aromatic which, technically, it probably is.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Apparently you don't even read my posts well enough to know I've been smoking pipes and cigars since about 1973. Noob my ass.
My bad. I assumed your misinformed opinions were because of inexperience. Guess not.

Mar 1, 2014
I tend to find the best Aromatics are alcohol flavored. All the fruit and vanilla stuff tends to have a hard time coming through the smoke, but just about every alcohol based flavor that I've tried has been nice and strong, as long as you don't let it dry out.
I actually recommend smoking these fresh, a lot of them burn quite well straight out of the tin, as long as it's a nice ribbon cut.
And don't forget the Lakeland blends. Not an ordinary aromatic, but something like Ennerdale can give you a strong flavor much deeper into the bowl than most blends.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Did I mention Samuel Gawith FireDance Flake? GREAT ONE!!! A fine basic Virginia base with a touch of black-berry and maybe something else!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I assumed your misinformed opinions were because of inexperience. Guess not.
Sure. Right, Bug. Meantime, I am smoking all kinds of aromatics including the real stuff with heavy casings left and right cool and dry and enjoying them tastily and you are left stuck only able to smoke a small limited niche market of one kind.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
you are left stuck only able to smoke a small limited niche
Bwahahaha ROFLMAO, yeah it sucks having to smoke top-quality blends instead of syrup-doused dung.
And don't forget the Lakeland blends.
I don't think it's even possible to forget Lakeland blends if you've had even one puff of it. Lord knows I've tried.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'm not an aromatic smoker as a general rule, but I do keep them around for guests, mixed company, and sometimes I am in the mood. My favorites tend to be house blends, (not the Lane mixes that are renamed), but proper in shop mixes. For tinned tobacco, I really like Mac baren's Vanilla Cream.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Update: I recently picked up a couple blends to try, 1-Q, Mac baren's Vanilla Cream, Bob's chocolate flake, Briar works peach cobbler, rum soaked rope, and a non aromatic Cabbies mixture. I previously had and liked Cult BRM, so I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out. I generally do not smoke aromatics but since I have started to smoke at my favorite cafe's I figured I wouldn't assault the non smokers with my latakia blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.