PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
What are the best AROMATIC tobaccos you have tried? I'm already on a pursuit for my next order.
Also if you have any input on sillems black. Briarworks bacon old fashioned, and C&D mississippi mud. It would be appreciated. :)

Jun 4, 2014
Not a big aromatic smoker, but I do keep Boswells Bear Blend on hand for those times when I feel the need.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A bunch of guys like the Molto Dolce from Sutliff. I smoke Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake,Mac Baren Modern Virgina and Peterson University Flake for my aromatics. and that is pretty good. Boswells has a bunch of aromatics that people love. I have tried some and the flavor is right there with the smell.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been especially impressed by Cult's relatively new Abacus, and the remaining two Cult blends, Blood Red Moon (a cherry) and Conspiracy are pretty good. For a nice bulk, try P&C's Trout Stream.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hands down for me is Scotty's Pancake from Pipes and Cigars. It tastes like a blue berry pancake and the flavors always rotate between, muffin, maple and berry and I can taste the tobacco. Its one of the few aros where I can taste it in my mouth as well. Two problems with it though 1)It is a bit too over the top to smoke all the time and 2) Its always sold out...

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Are you looking for an aromatic focused more on the topping/flavoring or more of a tobacco forward blend?

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2132/pipeworks-wilke-wilke-rumcake
Pipeworks & Wilke No. 191

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2131/pipeworks-wilke-wilke-no191
Rattray Bagpiper's Dream

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2838/rattray-bagpipers-dream

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The vast majority of aros are cheap crap tobacco laced with flavoring, which smoke hot, wet and taste nothing like they smell in the tin. Two exceptions:
Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 Flake
GL Pease Virginia Cream
1931 is good to go straight from the tin. VA Cream bites even when sipped, so I mix it 2 parts VA Cream to 1 part Lane Ltd BCA. Voila, no bite.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have a tin of Sillem's Black which I dip into now and then. It's not your typical aromatic, for sure; and it's not my idea of an everyday smoke. But I enjoy it a great deal. I think of it the smoker's equivalent of a good-quality port, to be sipped after a fine meal. It's well worth keeping around for those occasions.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Any of the new Cult blends, particularly Blood Red Moon, are Excellent!

Also try one of the bulk sample packs from http://www.pipesandcigars.com/, such as the Fruit salad or Ice Cream Shop.

It is hard to beat five, 2oz bags for only $19.99

Hope this is helpful.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I second the Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake and #191 votes, and add BCAQ (Lane 1Q & BCA at a 1:1 ratio).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sillem's Black is hands down one of the best aromatics I've smoked, even after all these years I still enjoy it from time to time. Some others that I enjoy are:

Dan Tobacco - Blue Note, Da Vinci and Black Velvet. (BN being my favorite among the 3)

C&D's Autumn Evening. I enjoy this and it's a proper aromatic but I doubt that I'll buy it again.
You should know that I prefer mostly Balkans and VaPers but when I'm in the mood for an aromatic, these are the ones I reach for.
Edit* I forgot to mentions C&D's Golden Days of Yore. Very good light aromatic.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I occasionally enjoy an aromatic blend. Some of my favs are C&D Autumn Evening, Lane RLP-6, and Molto Dolce that I cut 50/50 with Anni Kake.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've enjoyed a few, Sutliff Private Stock Maple Street is very nice, also like Scottys Butternut Burley. I sometimes mix Lanes TK6 with another stronger blend when I feel like a little cherry. Surprisingly I think cherry mixes well with Latakia forward blends.

Mar 1, 2014
Ennerdale.
Then Frog Morton's Cellar.
But for a regular Aromatic, really I think just about anything from Sutliff is probably going to be fine. Out of the four or five blends I've tried from them (Vanilla Custard, Frosty Mint, Top Shelf, Chocolate Truffle, Molto Dolce) they're all reasonably saturated and burn very well. They must be putting accelerants on these blends because goopy Aromatics are the only things that I've ever seen smoke themselves just sitting on the table after you light it. It's not hard to get them burning too hot.

As far as specific Sutliff blends go, I think the flavour of Z92 Vanilla Custard translates through the smoke particularly well.
I should note that sometimes a small bulk sample is not going to be a very good representation of an Aromatic. I know that bulk Ennerdale isn't half as potent as a fresh tin, and I think the same will generally go for most other aromatics.

With Sutliff blends sometimes buying 8oz of bulk is pretty good though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Not the sexiest blend but over the years only one aromatic has kept my interest enough to smoke regularly. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I've tried many but this one is the only one that has made the grade for me.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.