Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Frozen's answer was awesome.
You ever see that painting "This Is Not a Pipe" by Magritte? That's a bent pipe, right? Weelllll??
I like Billards.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Ditto Frozen!
On avoiding a big mouthful of nasty juice, bents are good for that, although I've come to doubt that they are any better at preventing the unpleasantness of the juice forming, which once it's there will require removal with a pipecleaner before you can resume any enjoyable smoking (or if you're lazy like I am, blowing it clear after removing the stem carefully, and do be careful, also replace it in the shank afterward while the bowl is still hot to avoid problems later). I have also read that bents allow moisture to accumulate more quickly due to the pooling effect of the stem, and having divided my smoking time evenly with straights I tend to believe it. Adjusting your cadence, puffing only gently in short "sips" is really the best way to prevent this, and the best way to avoid pipe smoking. When the bowl feels no longer warm, but hot in your hand, that's when you know it's time to slow down!

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
I read that 7 out of 10 pipes sold are bents. My collection leans the other way, 30% bents. Hey, I love em all! Enjoy.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I started with bent, everything from a mild 1/8 - 1/4 bent billiard to an Oom Paul. But eventually migrated to some straights and enjoying those more when relaxing. Still prefer bent while driving though.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I kind of prefer straight pipes simply because they are easier to clean. I wish I had a couple bent pipes though. As I become more comfortable with the idea of clenching they become more attractive.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's also possible that the straight pipe you didn't care for was a dud in some way(s). But as I said—and many others said—what appeals to you, what works for you is what matters. I enjoy straights and bents about equally.
And your question was far from silly.
Happy smoking!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Welcome! I personally prefer bent to straight, as I am a clencher. Buy a cheap one of both designs and see which one works best. My rule is that I have to be able to walk, talk, fly-fish, and work with it in my mouth. My bent Missourri Cob and my straight Yellobole work equally as well.
Enjoy the journey!

richjw

Lurker
Aug 12, 2015
Far be it from me to give anyone advice as a beginner myself but I have always found the look of straight pipes more appealing. I have a couple of mi-range straight Savinellis and I am finding that the 6mm balsa filter system is working really well in terms of giving a cool dry smoke.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Macfeegle, your question isn't silly. But I would point out that straight and bent both perform fine, assuming it isn't a Chinese pipe and assuming you pack and smoke it properly. I agree that bent pipes are easier to clench. But I have several full-sized straight pipes that are extremely light and are easy to clench.
If you're a clencher, check out the weight. I like my pipes to come under one oz for straight pipes. I can tolerate up to 2 oz for bent pipes.
But in the end, you'll have to buy a variety of pipes and try them out, before you'll know what YOU like.
OHhhh, and welcome to the forum.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
I smoke both. Which one I smoke depends on what I am doing at the time. If I am writing at the computer, trying to read a book, or fly fishing/fly tying, I usually smoke a bent, so the bowl stays out of my line of sight, and I have an unobstructed view. If I am sitting on the porch, hiking, paddling, bank or bait fishing, running trot lines or jug lines, etc... I probably will be smoking a straight. As far as smoking, there is little difference between them. However, straights are easier to clean, and keep clean. Bents let you see into the bowl while you are lighting them so you can get an even light.
It's 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other. For some things, a bent is more convenient, but if I am out fly fishing, and all I have with me is a straight, I am not going to decline to smoke...I'll just make do with what I've got....., and be happy that I have a pipe and tobacco to smoke at all.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I'd say straight. Easier to clean, less likely to gather moisture at the bottom. Plus a straight pipe is easier to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.