PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinelli bought Rossi pipes, and now most Rossi pipes are Savinelli shapes with slightly less elaborate finish, in mostly Savenelli shapes. They are durable quality pipes and start at about $45.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
My first thought when I read your post was, “Minis? Oy veh!” The medium and large cobs from MM are good quality. I have a basket of them that have withstood heavy use. Don’t be put off by the minis. Great advice from other posters re good quality affordable briars. Lots of very good smokers in the $40-50 range.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Dr. Grabow still makes a decent pipe, and there’s nothing like going to your neighborhood Walgreens to buy one. I encourage it; if they sell enough pipes, they may continue to carry them. You may want to pull out the filter before starting, though.

I‘ve gotten to have a little fun with ghosting. Tonquin, latakia, deer tongue, some aromatic flavorings ... I like all of the above, so I don’t mind if they inform the next smoke a little, sometimes, anyway. Last time I smoked some old Dunhill Flake that had a little 1792 haunting the bowl, I really enjoyed it. A couple bowls of something more flavor neutral will chase that ghost away, anyway.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Lots of good advice here from the old timers. Personally, as a new smoker, I find myself following some of the advice here on top of trying everything I can!
So far here's my collection, next up is to add a Meer and a Churchwarden. I'm also on the hunt for a proper Peterson System Premier or Deluxe, whichever comes first!
nARqd1M.jpg

I use the Cob to test new tobaccos and the Vittoria for flakes so far, out of all of them I smoke the T Christiano (Courtesy of a member on here) and the Brigham most often.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
MM cobs with a hardwood plug in the base are the way to go.
Both my Dr Grabow briars are good smokers. [My Dr Grabow Duke is a smaller pipe that's great for a quick smoke or for sampling a blend]

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have handfuls of cobs. The only "mushy" one I had actually had a flaw - the bottom was not hardwood, but had been plugged with a thin layer of plaster. First time I poked it with a pipe tool (gently, mind you), it sunk right through and put a hole in the bottom. SP replaced it right away when I called them. Now, I only buy the models with hardwood. I prefer the Country Gentleman model.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Our esteemed colleague. @alaskanpiper put together a great thread dedicated to good, relatively affordable pipes.

PSA (long): New Smokers: You Do Not Need An Expensive Pipe

I am very partial to the unfinished Savinelli Series III pipes. I bought one for my first briar, and I adore it. I smoke it nearly every day. You can score them for like $50-60 stateside, but site sponsor Bollito Pipe has them for like $28. Since the int'l shipping is a bit pricey, you might as well get 2 or 3 if you go that route. I would also recommend Rossi and (if you want to spend a bit more) Peterson System pipes.

I was real worried about ghosting, durability and burnout when I first got into briars, but really, I have not had any issues with that type of thing. They're meant for smoking, after all. Of course, there's nothing wrong with Cobs either. My favorite shape is the Diplomat 5th Ave.

Good luck!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I recently stared to get into pipe smoking but am coming across a couple of problems time and time again. I have been buying the mini corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum to try different tobaccos. However, I get one, maybe 2 bowls out of it before the bottom of the pipe is so soft it falls out. Is this common with corn cob pipes?

With this issue I am having I am thinking that maybe briar is a better option, but I am just dipping my toe into this and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a pipe that I am learning with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap starter pipe?

Thanks so much everyone.
The best advice I got as a beginner(50yrs ago) was to buy seven medium sized cobs. MM used to offer a bag of ”seconds” very cheaply.
Anyway, you rotate theses pipes every day to keep them dry and sweet and as you acquire higher end briars you substitute them into the rotation. You need to avoid buying just one pipe and over smoking it.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Morgan Bones briar pipes are generally being hyped right now so take this with a grain of salt, but I think they offer an excellent "bang for the buck" and are friendly towards beginners. They are unfinished briar pipes with minor imperfections and generally small bowls at a price of around 50$. They are natural pipes and hence develop their distinctive colour with every bowl you smoke. Back when I started pipe smoking, people would advise me to go for pipes with huge bowls. Beginner mistakes (packing especially), as well as not being used to smoking for an hour, would always lead to me throwing aways lots of perfectly fine tobacco and never smoking the pipe top to bottom - pure frustration. It was only when I switched to smaller bowls that I could resolve my many problems by trial & error and would have satisfying but shorter smokes. puffy

If you specifically want a longer smoking session, the Rossi 320 pipes have quite the following.
They are cheaper than Savinellis and are excellent smokers with a simpler finish. ?

Depending on where you are, it might also be worth looking into Savinelli Grezza (unfinished) pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Try one cob. Some love them, others won't touch 'em.

Best bang for the buck is in "estate" pipes. Aka "used".

A large bowl has never been a problem for me. If I think I am going to have a short smoke, I load it halfway. If I load it fully, and have to cut it short, it keeps just fine for days. (Though the tobacco can't be soggy or it tastes like dreck.)

Happy piping!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I recently stared to get into pipe smoking but am coming across a couple of problems time and time again. I have been buying the mini corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum to try different tobaccos. However, I get one, maybe 2 bowls out of it before the bottom of the pipe is so soft it falls out. Is this common with corn cob pipes?

With this issue I am having I am thinking that maybe briar is a better option, but I am just dipping my toe into this and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a pipe that I am learning with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap starter pipe?

Thanks so much everyone.
little cobs are for mary j wanna not tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started with a 150.00 Savinelli Lineau Piu 5 and it was a great decision. The pipe smokes cool and dry and shows what a good pipe should smoke like. If gives a baseline for a pipe that smokes cool and dry and builds a nice cake rather quickly. It is a great first pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SDJ1967

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Central Florida, USA
If you can't afford a $250 pipe, you can't be a part of this pastime.

But seriously, I'm a fan of corncobs for people new to the hobby (like me). They work beautifully and are very inexpensive, so you can see if this is for you or not.

Some long time pipers won't use anything but a corncob.