PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cgarverick

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
I recently stared to get into pipe smoking but am coming across a couple of problems time and time again. I have been buying the mini corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum to try different tobaccos. However, I get one, maybe 2 bowls out of it before the bottom of the pipe is so soft it falls out. Is this common with corn cob pipes?

With this issue I am having I am thinking that maybe briar is a better option, but I am just dipping my toe into this and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a pipe that I am learning with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap starter pipe?

Thanks so much everyone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You want a good quality starter pipe at a moderate price, which might include a Rossi Vittoria, at about $43; a Dr. Grabow Royalton with the acrylic stem for about $40; or a Savinelli, Chacom, or Ropp, new or used (estate) that comes within your budget. These are just examples, but fairly dependable examples. Actually, my several MM cob special edition pipes that come with acrylic stems have lasted well for years, and come at about $25, but you may be off MM cobs for now, and it is a good chance to try briar, many of which will last a lifetime. Good luck, and keep up posted on what you get.

cgarverick

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about a Dr. Grabow or something like that. There aren’t any B&M stores nearby so I am limited to what the local drug stores carries. How badly does a briar pipe ghost? That’s the big reason I tried the corncob thing because from what I read they don’t ghost.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd not worry about ghosting if you're just starting out and trying numerous types and blends. And:

Welcome from the Central Coast of California!
You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Much is made of ghosting, but unless and until you develop extremely sensitive taste, I don't think you need to worry about that. The only blends that absolutely need a designated pipe, for most people, are so-called Lakeland blends, from the Lake District in England, and only the rose-geranium flavored aromatic blends. So just avoid those and don't worry about ghosting for now, or possibly ever. If you get a bit of residual taste, just smoke a bowl or three of basic burley and that should clear it out.

cgarverick

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
You mention acrylic stems? I wasn’t away that there were different stem materials. What is the benefit to acrylic?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Acrylic doesn't oxidize. But it's a harder material than vulcanite.

Other materials? Bone, horn, clay, wood, metal, and some rare other oddities.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The most common stem materials are acrylic and Vulcanite, which is similar or the same as Ebonite. Both are durable and fine. In lower priced pipes, you want acrylic instead of softer plastics that tend to get more chewed up, but Vulcanite, if it comes within your budget, is also fine ... and some ardently prefer it. I think either works for you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently stared to get into pipe smoking but am coming across a couple of problems time and time again. I have been buying the mini corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum to try different tobaccos. However, I get one, maybe 2 bowls out of it before the bottom of the pipe is so soft it falls out. Is this common with corn cob pipes?

With this issue I am having I am thinking that maybe briar is a better option, but I am just dipping my toe into this and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a pipe that I am learning with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap starter pipe?

Thanks so much everyone.
Get a larger cob like the Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, or many of their others that have a hardwood plug in the bottom.

That’s the big reason I tried the corncob thing because from what I read they don’t ghost.
Total myth, all pipes can ghost, but ghosting is not a permanent issue.

You mention acrylic stems? I wasn’t away that there were different stem materials. What is the benefit to acrylic?
Acrylic is more resistant to oxidation and toothmarks, but cleaning them with alcohol will cause fine cracks in them. I can't stand the mouth feel of them but others prefer them. Other materials include. Vulcanite, amber, bone, horn, bakelite, juma, ivory, rubber, and nylon.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Beginner Pipe

1592173350178.png

nana

Welcome to the forum! Not sure what qualifies as "mini" cob. My first cob was a MM Tom Sawyer, which I determined to be too small for my smoking preference, but it never malfunctioned in the manner you are indicating.

I suspect, either you got a crappy batch (not likely, as MM knows their stuff) or perhaps your smoking technique could use some fine tuning.

How often were you smoking the cobs that failed, ie- how many times per day and how far apart?

What were you smoking in them and did you dry the tobacco any?

How is your smoking "cadence", ie- how frequently do you puff, how heavily, how hot does the bowl get? Do you produce a high volume of smoke or just a little bit?

These are all the same things each of us had to figure out, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger...

The more info you can share, the more all of us know-it-alls can offer our unqualified opinions and either get you straight of screw you up worse.

You're welcome! ?

1592173341994.png

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Go to smokingpipes.com. Using the pipe search feature set your price range. Find a shape and size and color that appeals to you. It can be hard to gauge size from a picture. The different dimensions and variables can be confusing. For a first pipe i would choose a pipe around 5.5 inches snd 1.5 os give or take in whatever shape appeals to you. As someone mentioned savinelli or ropp would be a great choice for a beginner brand - can find a good quality pipe for 50 dollars for a ropp maybe a bit more for a savinelli.

cgarverick

Lurker
Jan 14, 2020
I would smoke them weeks apart. I don’t get to smoke very often so that’s pretty common for me. I have a hard time keeping them lit, and as for cadence I try to use the breathing method and let the smoke build up in my mouth. I have tried several tobaccos, all aromatic, that I do let dry before I pack the pipe. Smoke production varies, sometimes a lot, sometime a little. The pipe bowl never gets hot on me.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Beginner pipe? I say cobs all the way. I have a handful and they’re great. The minis are known to be bad, but any full size like earlier stated is great. Dagner pokes and Carolina gents seem pretty common. I’m looking at one of those to get next.

Another option would be a Morgan Bones pipe. They start at $35 and go up. He rotates Between over +300 shapes. Also Savinelli unfinished series iii are good. More expensive but savinelli has been around for a while.

Reactions: cgarverick

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I have a MM mini cob too and do like it for really short smokes and tasting tobacco. My larger MM had the problem you describe though and I actually put a briar plug in the bottom to correct it. I will do the same to the mini cob if it needs it. Full disclosure though...I have a mini lathe and this repair is easy with the right tools. On cobs...So far these were just throw-around pipes I knew would do the job without caring much about how I took care of them. Then I got an EMC custom cob from Eric Mills. His pipe is the first time I have been wow'd by a cob and it even gets a place in my pipe cabinet alongside my briar pipes. I won't say his pipes are cheap, but quite reasonable in the grand scheme of things.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cobs, briar, morta, olive, meer. I'm told that there are subtle differences in the taste of the mediums, but as a lunker I found none. To me they all smoked well.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon