PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenofondas1

Lurker
May 31, 2010
Hello everyone..
My name is xenofon and I am from Cyprus. 30 years old and have been smoking a pipe for a very long time now…about a week hahahahah
Thing is I am hooked. And this is where I will be needing your help.

Just a couple of questions for you the learned.
What is a good proper way of starting to tackle the vast array of pipes out there?

With which sort/type/style do you guys recommend a beginner like myself should start off with?

What makes a good quality pipe-what are the first things I should look for?

Which brands shall I look at buying as a novice – not too expensive but good quality?

A price range would be appreciated.

Tell me a little something about good quality tobaccos for my new found love and please mention a few sites that will ship world wide if you know of any.
Anything else which will help me understand/guidance is also welcomed.
Thanks

Looking forward to knowing you better.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Xenofon,
I always found a good rule of thumb for buying a pipe is buy one that feels good in your hand, and one that suits your taste in style.

Your preferences will change over time, as with all things.

I would steer clear of something too fancy in the beginning.

Something like a 1/2 bent apple, or a bulldog are good places to start.

You can obtain a decent pipe for very little money.

Just steer away from pipes with walls that are too thin, they can get very warm in your hand.

As for pipe vendors, here is the one I use: The Briary

I don't know if he'll ship overseas but you can ask him.
Once again Welcome to the Fraternity!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Welcome Xenofon... There are many good quality pipe brands but three that you may be able to find just about anywhere in the world would be Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson. Regarding pipe tobacco you should check out the tread on the site titled "My favorite E-tailers"
Enjoy.

JC

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Xenfon...
There are many options and to cover all of them and their implications would likely just further confuse the issue.
I'll cut to the chase and recommend you buy a Savinelli Duca Carlo pipe available at Pipes and Cigars..
I can't recall ever hearing of anyone being dissatisfied with Savinelli and you can buy a Duco Carlo for $42, which is at the low end of what you should expect to pay for a well made pipe. Undoubtedly you can find good pipes cheaper. But I think this is a good safe recommendation to assure you get a pipe you'll be completley happy with as a first purchase. You'll get the Savinelli quality in a lower cost finish. So you're paying for smoking quality not shine. However, I also think the Duca Carlos are quite attractive pipes.
As others mentioned Peterson and Stanwell are the other 2 big players in the entry-levle to mid-level pipe market. Both along with Savinelli have extremely loyal followings. But with either Peterson or Stanwell (which is my favorite of the 3)you're looking at spending at least $60 for there lowest grade pipes.
I'd also recommend a straight pipe (vs. bent) for a first pipe. Simpler design and more likely a pipe cleaner will easily pass through from stem to stern making for a less problematic smoke.
Anyway...there's one option for you. Glad you stopped by. As you learn more keep asking for others experiences and opinions. Many here have a great deal of experience and can offer excellent advice.
Have fun!!!!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Xeno,
You might explore the video section, and the blog sections for a lot of good information.

There are some very good videos that demonstrate pipe care, and packing techniques posted by Bob.

Proper care and feeding of your pipes can help make them last for decades, and increase the pipe smoking experience.

Packing Methods

Pipe Cleaner Usage

Dottle

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I would start off with a basic shape that is no more than 1/4 bent. Something that feels good in your hand and teeth and is to your liking. A simple billiard, pot or apple. A simple pipe is more likely to provide a problem free smoke so that you can focus on the pipe and tobacco. You will learn what you wish your pipe was or wasn't after a short period of time and then, most likely, be struck by pipe acquisition disorder. Myself I tend to like to keep a pipe clenched in my teeth so I like smaller lighter pipes with a comfy bit. I also tend to go for a manufacturer who is noted for their engineering and smoking qualities before I go for shapes and materials, but both are important to me.
As others have mentioned, Stanwell, Peterson and Savinelli make very affordable good quality pipes. I still have Stanwells and will continue to buy them because I have never been let down by them. They always seem to smoke well.
I have bought almost every pipe I own from smokingpipes.com and I do frequent tobaccoreviews.com to see who is saying what about tobacco.
Smoke pipes and tobacco that make you happy is the bottom line. Ask as many people as you can as many questions as you can and try things. It took me a couple years to be fully pipe aware but it was a fun ride. Happy Puffing bro.
Cheers.
P.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Smoking Pipes has pipes called Comoy's that are around $50 or less and are excellent good looking smokes. Right now they are fresh out of them but if you sign up for their email list they usually put new Comoy's on once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.