PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In The Book of Pipes and Tobacco, Carl Ehwa advises against leaving a pipe cleaner in the pipe after smoking. He says, sure, the pipe cleaner absorbs some moisture, but it can't go anywhere. A clear draft hole allows for better drying.
OTOH, in a brochure that Julius Vesz provides with his handmade pipes, he advises that you leave a cleaner in the pipe on a temporary basis (a matter of several hours, I gather.)
What is your practice in this regard? ...and your reasoning on the issue.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I use pipe cleaners in a couple of different ways.

#1 When the pipe is cooling down, I will run one from stem to bowl just to remove any excess moisture.

#2 After a pipe has cooled, or is generally in need of a good cleaning; I will vigorously scrub with a couple of bristle cleaners followed by a tapered cleaner thick end first into the shank soaked in Ezra Brooks and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes max.

Then bend it 90 degrees and give it several spins. Remove the pipe cleaner and let the pipe rest for at least 3 or 4 days before I use it again. This keeps them sweet. Cleaning them like this I have never had a pipe go sour on me. But, that is only after the utilitarian use of the pipe for a few days. I also use a regular cleaner soaked in Ezra Brooks and clean the stem, there is usually no need to let the stem soak. Just a good swabbing out is sufficient.

The one exception being my Peterson Standard 307 with the military well system. It's a bit more problematic. It's tough to keep sweet. I like the pipe, and it smokes very well but I can't smoke it for more than one day, maybe two before it needs a serious cleaning and rest period.

pipegangster

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2009
Upstate NY
I usually leave the cleaner in the pipe about 15-20 minutes after I am done with a bowl. In my opinion, the pipe cleaner can only absorb so much moisture until it becomes useless. If the cleaner is moist and sitting in your pipe, it is actually keeping the moisture in you pipe and it is unable to dry properly. After the cleaner is removed, air can enter your pipe (shank, stem, bit) and evaporate the excess moisture. Just my two cents worth.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I use pipe cleaners to absorb excess moisture (if there is any) while smoking.
When I am done smoking, I run pipe cleaners through the stem and into the bowl to do an after smoke cleaning. If that is not possible, I will wait until the pipe completely cools down and then remove the stem and clean both stem and briar with pipe cleaners.
After I am done the after smoke cleaning, I bend the used cleaners in half and lightly wipe out all of the ash residue from the bowl (after the pipe is completely cooled down).
I then put the pipe back in its place on the rack until its next turn to be smoked.
I never leave a cleaner in the pipe after smoking.
Reason for doing it this way? None. It's just the way I have always done it.
I also use quite a few cleaners when doing routine cleaning with alcohol.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like to make little people out of my pipe cleaners.
Just kidding.
I think it is good to not leave a pipe cleaner in the pipe so air can circulate through the air hole.
I have seen new pipes waiting to be sold that are sitting with a pipe cleaner inside them. Maybe this is to keep dust out of a new pipe before it is bought and smoked?

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Beside making small animals (not joking) I leave a pipe cleaner in for anywhere from 10 minutes to overnight. I agree with pipegangster that it can absorb only so much moisture and may contribute to pipe souring. When I leave it in overnight, it is because that is the last pipe of the day and I get lazy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Little people! LOL
Thanks for the input. I located that Julius Vesz brochure and re-read it. He advises to clean the stem, and then insert a fresh pipe cleaner and leave it overnight.
On occasion I have found that a fresh "thick" cleaner, left in a pipe I had just cleaned, picked up a surprising amount of filth. So like gangster, I leave the cleaner in the bowl for a while, but I remain sensitive to the air circulation that Kevin refers to.
Has anyone besides me discovered the utility of Q-tips for cleaning mortises, shanks and bowl rims? I wonder how they would work in Peterson system wells. I don't have one, so maybe pstlpkr can try it and let others know.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I use Q-tips to clean the rims of my pipes and when I am doing routine alcohol cleaning. I use them in the shank and mortise, it cuts down on the amount of pipe cleaners needed.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
here is my routine, at the end of the day I take the pipes I have used that day and run cleaners through them stem to bowl until cleaners come out clean. I bend a cleaner and wipe out the bowl, then place the pipes in the rack to rest at least 3 days with no cleaner in the stem. I have never had one go sour. Every 4 months or so I give them a good cleaning with a pipe cleaner soaked in good spirits followed by dry cleaners. This system has worked well for me for several years.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I use Q-tips to clean the rims of my pipes and when I am doing routine alcohol cleaning. I use them in the shank and mortise, it cuts down on the amount of pipe cleaners needed.
I also use Q-tips, especially on the two pipes I have that are chambered for filters. After I use one end, I'll cut it off with toenail clippers in order not to make a mess when using the leftover clean end.
Toenail clippers are very valuable to me in getting that extra mile out of pipe cleaners too.

Status
Not open for further replies.