PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Lane Limited - BCA. Black Cavendish Aromatic. It's a perfect beginner tobacco, and @Ghines04, if you've tried TCS's Black Arrow, you'll find this very similar but more forgiving. Black Arrow likes it hot. BCA likes it anyway you like to smoke.
BCA is quite good. I'm always adding a sprinkle to Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop to smooth things out. BCA mixed with C&D Dark Burley is a tasty treat, great for smoking in a new pipe if the pipe has some bite. I'll often smoke BCA straight if I need just one more smoke before bed.

An often overlooked codger/aromatic is Sutliff J4 burley. Very smooth, caramel and vanilla, no bite, even when you lean on it, as I did last night.

A terrific beginner English is Peter Stokkebye English Luxury. Not a lat bomb, got some black cavendish for roundness, just a great, easy-smoking English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this comes under the heading of choose your own adventure. Start with familiarizing yourself with the two most basic base tobaccos that are the predominant leaf(s) in most blends, a basic Virginia or Virginia blend, and a basic burley or blend of burleys, so you'll know those in most all of the other blends you will smoke.

After that, it is a matter of selecting small quantities of many genres and blends, only trying small quantities even when you find ones you really like. Your tastes will always change over time. You'll learn to like ones you don't like at all at first, and get tired of some you love.

But maybe most important, don't go crazy and think you have to try every known blend in the world. Keep track of what you like, so you can size up blends from the specifications without ordering two ounces of everything in the world.

Enjoyment is the point whether you've been smoking a pipe for three days or fifty years. Slow down and enjoy it, and pay attention and study it enough so you make sense of what you are sampling. But enjoy, enjoy.Take your time.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I see why aros are a bad starting point. They can bite if you don't know what you're doing, and lack flavor if smoked too fast, which novice smokers often do. But, if you don't like what you're smoking you'll most likely quit. I say smoke what you like and learn to smoke it properly. Tongue bite is most likely going to happen to you early on no matter what you smoke. There are some aros that arent bitey and are forgiving. Autumn Evening is a good example. Not many, but just saying. To each his own path though.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Disgusted Old Man Parker GIF - Disgusted Old Man Parker A Christmas Story -  Discover & Share GIFs
Is this from the old Nightstalker days?!! Loved that show!
Anyone who gets the reference is officially an old codger.

Ghines04

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2023
Texas
I would tell a beginning smoker to start out with a mild English. In time you can up the ante a bit to stronger English's. The you can dabble in Virginias and Va/Pers. The you have reached a point where you can consider aromatics. You can stop experimenting anytime.
What’s a good example of a mild English? I’ve tried MM965 but it seemed pretty bold to me.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have you been playing StarCraft? There isn't build order in pipe smoking. You can smoke anything you like from the start. Good number of people start with aromatics since the possibility of cherry or chocolate sounds interesting. But new smokers won't pick up the nuance. Latakia become favorite if you happen to like it since it's easy to pick out. OTC are good because they are less expensive and easy to smoke and you won't notice the flavor anyway. Virginia isn't usually recommended since they burn hotter than others leading to tongue bite and hot bowl. So pick what you want and enjoy the journey.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Have you been playing StarCraft? There isn't build order in pipe smoking.
So tempted to just grab a tech tree, relabel everything, and do a bit about how, "Because the basic Protoss air unit is so bad, it's sub-optimal to go into Va/Pers until you're far enough down Va/Burs to build an Arbiter's Tribunal".

• Haha
Reactions: bullet08

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Definitely not aromatics in the beginning, save those for much later after you've gotten a good smoking technique down.
Not aromatics or not the bulk aromatics sold in large jars at traditional B&Ms? Given how hot some VAs burn, I would say an aromatic like Sillems Black is easier to smoke.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
What’s a good example of a mild English? I’ve tried MM965 but it seemed pretty bold to me.
Eric Stokkebye 4th Generation Afternoon Melange is a very nice light English. The Morning Blend in that series is a much better than average aromatic as well. Not goopy at all. I like mixing these together so much that I just want ahead and combined them and pressed them into a puck. Lovely aromatic English.

Reactions: Ghines04 and FLDRD

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Looking back perhaps a light English or mild Burley, maybe even a simple Dutch Cavendish style blend. Of course, many moons ago I went right into dime store aromatics and then into Virginia which was probably not the best course looking back.

Reactions: JRW11b and Ghines04