PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jesster109

Lurker
Dec 2, 2022
Illinois
An easy way to get decent rotation from a one-stop shop is Missouri Meerschaum pouches. They are pretty decent for what they are, and they run the gamut. Burley forward blend (Missouri Pride), English crossover (American Patriot), VaPerKy (Country Gent), and a well behaved aro (Great Dane).
I smoked through several pouches of each as a rotation, it was fun for a while.

Reactions: OverMountain

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
An easy way to get decent rotation from a one-stop shop is Missouri Meerschaum pouches. They are pretty decent for what they are, and they run the gamut. Burley forward blend (Missouri Pride), English crossover (American Patriot), VaPerKy (Country Gent), and a well behaved aro (Great Dane).
I can pouch vouch for the American Patriot and Great Dane. Both are very tasty, super easy to snag on CBID for a few $ per pouch.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Ghines04

People always seem to bring up Aromatics, as a One Size Label describes every Aromatic ever made, and it’s not true.

Aromatics can be Heavy, Medium and Light. ;)

Try Samuel Gawith Grousemoor, it like a light lemon tea, it’s a Light Aromatic, with nice Virginia tobacco flavors too.

Next be sure to seriously grab a pouch of KBV Sakura. This is an amazing Medium Aromatic, also with a lot of nice tobacco flavors.

Just be sure to dry them both out fairly crispy feeling, if you were to grab a pinch between your fingers, but not bone dry, where it turns to dust.

Just spread some out when drying.

After drying crispy the first time around, you can experiment drying times, till you find, at what level of moisture you enjoy the most

The Grousemoor is quite nice straight from the tin, as it’s not a very moist blend.

If you get these, please report back how you like them. :)

Enjoy! ❤️

P.S. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with these blends. They represent some of the best in Aromatics, on a different level. ;)

Last edited:

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
Such nonsense regarding aromatics. If you were to introduce someone to French Cuisine, would you begin with a rich cream laden beef dinner. Or might you start with something simple. Heavy English blends or Virginias can make one reel with nicotine revolt. Here, have something that might make you throw up. Yes, you’ve discovered something more complex than Captain Black. Granger would be a nicer way to ease into the pipe, n’est pas?

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
What nonsense?

I’m not sure who, or what you are referring to, I’m not saying it’s me, just not sure what Aromatic conversation is all. 🤔

Please look up and read my reply. ;)
My post is a generalized statement and response to those who preach that aromatics are somehow inappropriate for beginners. It is not a direct or even indirect reply to your post which I hadn’t seen and seems to be a reasonable addition to the discussion. It is frustrating to read post where individuals somehow take it upon themselves to relegate aromatics as a tobacco to be reserved for more seasoned pipe smokers. Despite the evidence that most pipe smokers prefer and choose these simple blends as their primary blends. To suggest that the vast majority of smokers are making the wrong choice or an uneducated choice is a presumption I generally relegate to the French.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PipeIT and simong

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
who preach that aromatics are somehow inappropriate for beginners
Preach? Not hardly, you may want to go back and read reviews of new smokers trying aromatics. "Tastes like hot air" "No flavor" "Tongue bite" All cases of little smoking experience or technique.

Despite the evidence that most pipe smokers prefer and choose these simple blends as their primary blends.
Typically not new smokers. It took me nearly 25 years to fully understand them and I would guess it took @JimInks some time to master how to smoke them as learned technique is necessary to completely enjoy them. Not to mention that without them pipe tobacco sells wouldn't be enough revenue to keep companies open.

Or might you start with something simple.
That's why I suggest English or Burley blends. They're very forgiving for a new smoker and will nearly smoke themselves. They give a smoker more margin of error when practicing packing and cadence and often don't smoke hot or cause tongue bite.

Heavy English blends or Virginias can make one reel with nicotine revolt.
If they are blends without burley or perique, they rarely have much nicotine at all which is why I often recommend English blends along with their relative ease of smoking. I'd never suggest Virginias for a beginner as they can smoke hot due to their sugar content. The oriental base of latakia is some of the mildest of tobaccos to smoke.

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
Preach? Not hardly, you may want to go back and read reviews of new smokers trying aromatics. "Tastes like hot air" "No flavor" "Tongue bite" All cases of little smoking experience or technique.

Typically not new smokers. It took me nearly 25 years to fully understand them and I would guess it took @JimInks some time to master how to smoke them as learned technique is necessary to completely enjoy them. Not to mention that without them pipe tobacco sells wouldn't be enough revenue to keep companies open.

That's why I suggest English or Burley blends. They're very forgiving for a new smoker and will nearly smoke themselves. They give a smoker more margin of error when practicing packing and cadence and often don't smoke hot or cause tongue bite.

If they are blends without burley or perique, they rarely have much nicotine at all which is why I often recommend English blends along with their relative ease of smoking. I'd never suggest Virginias for a beginner as they can smoke hot due to their sugar content. The oriental base of latakia is some of the mildest of tobaccos to smoke.
I rest my case. You proved my point perfectly.

Reactions: simong

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
If someone is just getting started with a pipe, my recommendation is get a couple cobs and a couple of codger/OTC burley blends, whatever pouch looks appealing. Since your going to be mostly burning the crap out of your mouth anyways, burley in a cob I think has a bit shorter learning curve and doesn't break the bank if someone is just dipping a toe in the pipe tobacco waters. Once you learn the mechanics of loading, lighting tamping etc and getting some good enjoyment with some burley and a cob well then the skies the limit. PAD and TAD are for real...

Mar 1, 2014
(apologies if this has been discussed before)

Good morning all,
talked with another member here this morning, and that spawned a question I wanted to put out here in order to learn more...

If you were guiding a new pipe smoker, someone who's been giving it a go for roughly 6 months, what progression would you take that person through in trying new blends? Starting with a quality Aro from someone like Country Squire, how would you progress that new pipe enthusiast through the different types of tobacco blends, and what's an example of that blend? (not looking for everyone's favorite, or best, I know thats very subjective)

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
It takes a few weeks for your tastebuds to acclimatize to tobacco smoke, the same as eating spicy curry, so for the first month flavor is almost irrelevant, just smoke something consistent and easy burning (most codger blends).
Then start a rotation of the strongest flavored blends you can find, Virginia Perique, Latakia, Orientals, Kentucky, and maybe try some crazy ropes or Lakeland blends, there's no sense in starting on anything less than the boldest tobacco available.

Even after the initial acclimatization period it might do you some good to keep a stock of "codger blend" to reset your tastebuds every once in a while.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Didn't have time to read this whole thread, but my two cents is there isn't really a standard answer for all new pipe smokers...for at least a few reasons. Such as whether they are a new smoker entirely or are coming from cigars or cigarettes.

I would suggest to try a variety of the basic blend types...just dry the tobacco and smoke slowly.

If you don't like a blend at first, don't toss it, just set it aside and try it again after a while.

Reactions: FLDRD
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
For a smoker just starting out, I would say developing good packing, tamping, and smoking techniques are a given and should be a priority. It’s probably a good idea to try two or three tobacco blends from each of the major groups to taste how very different they can be from each other even though they might use the same type of component leaf.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned much in the previous posts is to also try different cuts of tobacco within those major groups; a ribbon is going to behave differently than a plug or crumble cake; a tobacco that has been rubbed out is going to burn differently than one that hasn’t; all of those differences are worth exploring and experiencing.