PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cloozoe

Lifer
Sep 1, 2023
It's entirely possible for great numbers of seemingly sentient beings to be dead wrong, hence the invention of politics, and political parties.
No doubt the exception that proves the rule, but I had precisely that in mind when I threw in the modifiers, "valued, enjoyed, studied" and, most especially, "seemingly sentient"

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Not withstanding that this has turned into an entertaining thread, and after my various ironic/insightful/snide/rude (take your pick) comments and disregarding the merits or lack thereof of the Beatles, it finally dawned on me what irked from jump:

If you're about to make a comment that starts conceptually with "I don't get it", don't bother; you have nothing of worth to say on the subject and all you'll do is expose your ignorance and sound silly to those who do get it.

Opera sucks

Richard Pryor isn't funny

Soccer's a stupid game where nobody scores

I mean, why?

Rule of thumb: if something is valued/enjoyed/studied over an extended period of time by a large number of seemingly sentient beings and its appeal eludes you, you can't necessarily help it but I would eschew boasting about it.
I think there is some wisdom here. Even when it comes to stuff that I don’t connect to, like Taylor Swift’s music, I have to realize that millions do. They must be getting something out if it, and there must be something to it all. For me to label all of her fans as morons would say more about me than them.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Cloozoe

Lifer
Sep 1, 2023
You are a man of most assured opinions. I'd advise you to tone down the insults lest you soon find yourself writing to a readership of one.

I normally let folks with an attitude die by themselves, but you write well and are intelligent; I'd hope you are able to hang around.
Against my better judgement I'll reply. I hope you find it in-bounds and civil.

Calling someone a fool is an insult. Ad hominem.

Explaining why you think someone said something foolish--as do we all, occasionally--is a conversation, a debate...in any case, fair and acceptable in most quarters.

It's moot, however; you've made it clear what you require, it's your house, not mine, and I'll respect the boundaries.

G

Gimlet

So I suppose, therefore, we can look forward to your informed exposition on Coltrane soon?
I've no idea who Coltrane is.
If you're about to make a comment that starts conceptually with "I don't get it", don't bother; you have nothing of worth to say on the subject and all you'll do is expose your ignorance and sound silly to those who do get it.

Rule of thumb: if something is valued/enjoyed/studied over an extended period of time by a large number of seemingly sentient beings and its appeal eludes you, you can't necessarily help it but I would eschew boasting about it.
Well you've ably proved your own rule. I ventured my opinion and you didn't get it. For the rest of it, the cap fits and suits you very well.

Reactions: Birddog66
G

Gimlet

I think there is some wisdom here. Even when it comes to stuff that I don’t connect to, like Taylor Swift’s music, I have to realize that millions do. They must be getting something out if it, and there must be something to it all. For me to label all of her fans as morons would say more about me than them.
Which is precisely why I didn't do that.