PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
So I've had a beard off and on over the years. I usually have a goatee during the spring and summer and grow out my beard during the fall and through winter. Sometimes I'll shave it all off and start fresh. This year I've decided I'm going to grow out my beard, though I can't go to long for work purposes, but I want a fuller and thicker beard instead of the very short beard I normally would grow. I recently discovered that even people with short beards like mine (currently) can use beard oil and that it will help with the beard during the growing out process. I purchased a bottle of Portland Beard Company (Schuler) which has a nice citrus type smell. I've only been using it for a week so I can't say one way or the other it has helped just yet, but I'm sure its doing its thing. I've also got another bottle, made by a fellow You Tube Pipe Presenter, coming my way to try out and give feed back on as he's getting ready to send it to market to sell.
So out of curiosity, who all has beards and who uses beard oil? If you're using beard oil what brand are you using and what are your thoughts on it? Also if you have any tips feel free to share them.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
It's been a few years since I had a beard, and I never used beard oil. What I did find useful for making my beard look thicker was to use a hairdryer to give it a blow dry. Certainly helped to give a fuller look.
I am also a firm believer that a glass of stout is an excellent way to achieve a health glossy beard :)

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I just have a van dyke now but I use Honest Amish Beard Balm about $14 on Amazon. I'm not sure how much it helps growth since my facial hair grows pretty fast, but I really like the shine and softness it lends. It's also good for keeping those contrary rogue hairs from getting out of place.
Has nice licorice scent but it isn't overly strong or greasy.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I try to grow a beard but it just never works... Pretty lame. So every time I see a good lookin' beard I give them the evil eye because I am so jealous.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I wear a long beard now but have worn beards continuously for many years. I use a good beard oil and/or jojoba oil available from health food stores like GNC 3-4 times per wk. it's not necessary to use it daily. Beard oil helps keep the pores of your skin and the hair folicles under the beard open and moist, keeps your skin from itching when first growing out your beard and keeps the skin moist during the dry winter months, and protects the beard hair which is very important with long beards. It does help to style your beard a little bit also. I sometimes use American Crew Hair Fiber which is probably similar to the Amish Beard Baum. It is like a salve that melts to oil by rubbing your hands together, goes into your beard easy, and when it resets it gives your beard a little body. I have a long mustache but don't use mustache wax; just a little oil on it as well. I rinse my beard out every time I shower and use a good beard shampoo & beard conditioner every 7-10 days, and may use just the conditioner after a rinse between shampoos.
Don't use a hot blow dryer. Worst thing you can do to your beard.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I have been looking into beard oils after listening to a wet shaving podcast. Seems like with my type of hair (very coarse) it would help a lot. I will be curious to see how it turns out for you. Keep us posted.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
plus 1 on the hot dryer johnnyreb, I should have mentioned a cold setting

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The man (at least I think it's a man) pictured below obviously failed to use beard-oil. Don't let this happen to you!
th

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No beard, chops which almost meet at the chin and a rather large stash. Both brushed out every day, takes a couple of minutes, washed every other day or so. I've never given a thought to applying anything to either, seems a bit unnatural and as even my facial hair is on the oily side I do not want to add to the dust and food collection.
I am a bit tempted to ask the age of those which use oil and those that do not. In the interest of harmony I will not. I will say that I am on the downhill side of sixty. I will also admit to waxing the stash on special days, but that's the only affectation I know of. Also, mustache rides are still only a dollar for the ladies. And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements.
I had to read that a couple of times ... thought you meant to say "chomp". :P
My beard started in 1995 after getting out of the military and hasn't been removed since then.
Recently, I trimmed it way back but regretted that and am letting it grow again.
I've never used any special oils but when it's longer I'll hit it with a little conditioner in the shower.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... my wife tells me I'm becoming "distinguished". That's a nice way to put it! :)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
beard oil. conditioner, whatever will make your beard softer and tamer but it ain't going to make your hair grow.. trust me or you wouldn't all the bald guys you do.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I am a bit tempted to ask the age of those which use oil and those that do not.
I'll offer mine. 38. It's something I started using maybe a year and a half ago. I like it. I don't have any hair left on my head, so it gives me something to comb and fuss over. Ha.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've worn a full beard since about 1994 (length variable - it's shorter these days than it was in the past), but just recently started using beard oil, as my face started producing more dandruff than my scalp ever did. Tea Tree Oil shampoo/conditioner had been sufficient for years, but as I get older, I seem to get flakier... :lol:
I actually started using beard oil after looking into mustache wax - I don't generally wax my 'stache on a day-to-day basis, but it's a fun look when I'm doing a Steampunk event, so I've been doing some training in the evenings. A local company, Mod Cabin, offers not only a decent training wax, but also some very nice beard oils. I tried their sampler, and the dandruff cleared right up. I now keep bottles of both their Miner's Mint and Gunbarrel oil on hand. It's definitely had a positive impact on my beard's appearance as well.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Also, mustache rides are still only a dollar for the ladies. And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements."
With beard oil & it's natural lubricity, you might not have to "comp" so many! Just tryin to help a brother out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.