PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Did a forum search and didn't come up with anything hugely useful. Swiftcraftymonkey also came up blank. I'm looking to make a beard oil for DH. Anyone have a recipe they like for such a product? It's probably going to be left unscented, since he tends to either not like scents, or not be able to smell them at all. I do want it to be a liquid at room temp product, so he or I can pour a little into the palm of a hand and work it through his beard.

I have... alot. Avocado, apricot kernel, babassu, coconut, canola, sunflower, olive, castor, meadowfoam, rice bran, and argan oils, liquid jojoba, lanolin, mango, cocoa, shea and kokum butters, beeswax, candelilla wax, vitamin E, a bottle of toasted sesame oil normally used for cooking (and it's YUMMY! though I'll part with a little for this if it adds nice effects)... Not even going to consider orange peel wax for this, the scent is too strong. Essential oils included for conditioning effects might be considered, but I'd have to run each one by DH first.

I figured I would ask here first if anyone had a recipe they like to use before striking out on my own and making it up as I go. My first batch is going to be maybe an ounce or two, just to try things out. Actually, either way, I may well start off by trying each oil I'm considering individually over the course of a week or two.

Reactions: JOHN72

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Did a forum search and didn't come up with anything hugely useful. Swiftcraftymonkey also came up blank. I'm looking to make a beard oil for DH. Anyone have a recipe they like for such a product? It's probably going to be left unscented, since he tends to either not like scents, or not be able to smell them at all. I do want it to be a liquid at room temp product, so he or I can pour a little into the palm of a hand and work it through his beard.

I have... alot. Avocado, apricot kernel, babassu, coconut, canola, sunflower, olive, castor, meadowfoam, rice bran, and argan oils, liquid jojoba, lanolin, mango, cocoa, shea and kokum butters, beeswax, candelilla wax, vitamin E, a bottle of toasted sesame oil normally used for cooking (and it's YUMMY! though I'll part with a little for this if it adds nice effects)... Not even going to consider orange peel wax for this, the scent is too strong. Essential oils included for conditioning effects might be considered, but I'd have to run each one by DH first.

I figured I would ask here first if anyone had a recipe they like to use before striking out on my own and making it up as I go. My first batch is going to be maybe an ounce or two at jpost.com, just to try things out. Actually, either way, I may well start off by trying each oil I'm considering individually over the course of a week or two.
thanks in advance for any help

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
No recipe from me, I use Honest Amish it's inexpensive, and the scent doesn't linger and seems to work as well (or better) than more expensive brands.
I second Honest Amish. It doesn't contain the chemical crap of the bad oils -- its ingredients are on par with the more expensive ones -- but it's broadly available and inexpensive relative to the bougie rackets.

But I get the interest in concocting something yourself. Have fun!

I just keep a boars hair brush on me at all times and brush my beard to better make use of natural oils, which IMO, is the best oil.

For more closely trimmed beards, yeah, nothing more is necessary. (Besides, the health of hairs that are going to get trimmed off soon anyway doesn't really matter.) But I find that when I want to keep my beard longer, it's dry and less manageable and more prone to breaking if I don't supplement the oils. My face just doesn't seem to produce anything like my scalp does, or else facial hair doesn't carry it the same way, or something.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
For more closely trimmed beards, yeah, nothing more is necessary. (Besides, the health of hairs that are going to get trimmed off soon anyway doesn't really matter.) But I find that when I want to keep my beard longer, it's dry and less manageable and more prone to breaking if I don't supplement the oils. My face just doesn't seem to produce anything like my scalp does, or else facial hair doesn't carry it the same way, or something.
Same here, if I keep it short I don't find much need for oil. If I let it grow it gets really dry especially here in the Mo River Valley when the humidity is very low in the winter time.

Reactions: LotusEater and SBC

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Well, you mentioned fantastic oils, I really don't know what else, hahahahahahahahahah. Homemade recipe with natural ingredients is better than the miracles sold by the cosmetic industry. Cold pressed oils, organic. I once bought a beard oil on amazon, it was really industrial lard for small engines, bicycles, sewing machines. My God, it was horrible. When at home I have honey, almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, rosehip oil, argan oil. Years ago I used lemon juice, like gel, for my hair. I love the beard, but now it's all ash-colored, and I used to dye my beard. I'm tired of dyeing it. Plus I never had a strong, close beard.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SBC
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve used Beardbrand Temple Smoke for years on occasion. Scent is very pleasant to my taste. Not sure if is even being produced any longer. I rarely apply it as I’m lazy & simply use my brush or comb to incorporate my natural oils when I look unruly. ☕

Reactions: JOHN72