Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you Sir!
I did not see any markings visible on the tube, perhaps they are further up into the stem. I will try to gently coax it out, I will not break it. Thank you again.
Hi Don,

Or possibly it's not stamped. The patent number was a long one, and the Tro-Tube pipes had the patent number stamped on the shank as well as on the stinger. They may have used the stinger far past the expiration date of the patent and the "Tro-Tube" era. The stamping on mine runs almost up to the carburators.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I stand by my earlier comment, from what I'm seeing, the 1533 stummel (smaller logo) is older than 1579. Am I wrong? In fact, I'd say 1533 with the EL mark is ~ early 1940's.
You're wrong. Well, you asked. It's not just the size, it's the type of font. Some time in the early 1950's the Barling's Make stamp switched to a much more pronounced arch. I've wondered if it had anything to do with them losing their harvesting operations in Algeria in 1954. The proportions of the late '30's and early '40's small stamp letters are different from this one.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You're wrong. Well, you asked. It's not just the size, it's the type of font. Some time in the early 1950's the Barling's Make stamp switched to a much more pronounced arch. I've wondered if it had anything to do with them losing their harvesting operations in Algeria in 1954. The proportions of the late '30's and early '40's small stamp letters are different from this one.
Ok, I'll buy that. :) So there was an early 1940's smaller stamp, and a different post war ~ early 1950's smaller stamp?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ok, I'll buy that. :) So there was an early 1940's smaller stamp, and a different post war ~ early 1950's smaller stamp?
Early '40's, yes. Early 50's thru '62, sorta. The stamp featured a more highly curved "BARLING'S" and was smaller than the '40's stamp ,and came in a couple of sizes adjusted for shank thickness.
Also, what complicates things is that Barling also used a stamp with highly rotated lettering at the end that appeared in the 1920's and was occasionally used as late as the late 1940's (that I can date from hallmarks) and possibly later. There was certainly some overlapping of stamps, and I suspect that on occasion, the workman grabbed what was on the tray and stamped the occasional outlier just to confound people like me.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Early '40's, yes. Early 50's thru '62, sorta. The stamp featured a more highly curved "BARLING'S" and was smaller than the '40's stamp ,and came in a couple of sizes adjusted for shank thickness.
Also, what complicates things is that Barling also used a stamp with highly rotated lettering at the end that appeared in the 1920's and was occasionally used as late as the late 1940's (that I can date from hallmarks) and possibly later. There was certainly some overlapping of stamps, and I suspect that on occasion, the workman grabbed what was on the tray and stamped the occasional outlier just to confound people like me.
The Workman will do that sometimes. Just for the Hell of it.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
arly '40's, yes. Early 50's thru '62, sorta. The stamp featured a more highly curved "BARLING'S" and was smaller than the '40's stamp ,and came in a couple of sizes adjusted for shank thickness.
I do remember that, at Charatan's, the guy who did the stamping (Chera Singh) sometimes used the older slightly smaller Charatan's Make stamp for pipes with thinner shanks as it helped achieve a crisper more consistent stamp. Also it was sometimes used when the shank was not absolutely even - e.g. when it 'dipped' a little at some part.

Status
Not open for further replies.