PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here are two Barling's Make pots I have just finished conserving. Larger is 1579 Smaller is 1533. I believe these were for the British market.

18609611-orig.jpg

1533, Stamped Barling's Make

18609616-orig.jpg

Preedy (British Tobacconist) EL
Stem, Barling Cross, Barling Design on bottom

18609617-orig.jpg

1579 Stamped Barling's Make (Arch is less dramatic) Ye Olde Wood T.V.F.

18609613-orig.jpg

Made in England.
Stem Barling Cross, nothing on bottom

18609614-orig.jpg

This is a quite interesting thing. It goes through the bowl and the "carbs" are at the bottom of the smoking chamber.
Quite a precision fit so I do believe it is original to the pipe, I may be wrong... Jesse?

18609615-orig.jpg

Interesting Barling's Make stamp differences

18609618-orig.jpg

18609612-orig.jpg

18609619-orig.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a fine job of restoration; they look great. I don't have a lovely Barling like these, but I had a recent smoke in my Greek made Amadeus pot where it performed as never before. It is one of the most basic designs, usually, unless we are talking about a Sixten Iversson, basic along with the poker. With the good broad bowl, and the usually pleasing balance, they are inspiring in simplicity.

Reactions: donjgiles

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would like to see those with a white background. It's hard for me to see the pipes very well. Maybe it's just me. Lol

Edit: pictures look just fine. I was outside looking at them. Nice work!

Last edited:

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
What a fine job of restoration; they look great. I don't have a lovely Barling like these, but I had a recent smoke in my Greek made Amadeus pot where it performed as never before. It is one of the most basic designs, usually, unless we are talking about a Sixten Iversson, basic along with the poker. With the good broad bowl, and the usually pleasing balance, they are inspiring in simplicity.
Thank you Sir. :)

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Nice job. A touch of liquid white out and a quick wipe will make the X Barling white again. I do that with my Pete's after an oxy-clean bath and it works well.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
the 1533 with barlings design is from 1950-62

from Jesse's excellent pipedia article

Following the granting of the patent in 1935, Barling stems featured the following patent numbers:

• REG'D 98 046 - US patent number - 1936 - 1949 • REG'D 42/8968 - WW2 production - 1942 - 1950 • REG'D 754 068 - WW2 production • Barling Design - 1950 - 1962

During the 1930’s and early 1940’s the BARLING’S MAKE logo appeared in a small version with a simpler letter style. Following the War, the small “BARLING’S MAKE” logo was discontinued and a larger logo was used. The larger logo would continue to be in use until 1962, when the 1930’s style logo was reintroduced along with the new numbering system.
Over the years there were a number of changes and adjustments to the nomenclature, though the company logo stamps remained a constant.

over to you Sablebrush

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Absolutely stunning pipes, resto work (I assume), and photographs, Don! These are the kinds of posts which make this a worthwhile place to hang out online.
Thank you Sir!
Yes, I try to be very gentle when conserving these old pipes.
Barling stem logos seem to just disappear when you even look at them.
Thank you all, for your kind words.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
the 1533 with barlings design is from 1950-62

The stem appears to be from that period. The stummel from an earlier date.

"During the 1930’s and early 1940’s the BARLING’S MAKE logo appeared in a small version with a simpler letter style. Following the War, the small “BARLING’S MAKE” logo was discontinued and a larger logo was used."

The easiest way to see this is the curve of the arched Barling's Make and the relative position of the M in MAKE to the BAR in BARLING'S.

Nice pipes Don, those Barling's pots, are wonderful smokers.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The stem appears to be from that period. The stummel from an earlier date.

"During the 1930’s and early 1940’s the BARLING’S MAKE logo appeared in a small version with a simpler letter style. Following the War, the small “BARLING’S MAKE” logo was discontinued and a larger logo was used."

The easiest way to see this is the curve of the arched Barling's Make and the relative position of the M in MAKE to the BAR in BARLING'S.

Nice pipes Don, those Barling's pots, are wonderful smokers.
Thank you Dave!
I was pretty sure the 1533 had a Barling's replaced stem, the dates did not add up. Thank you for the confirmation!
:)

Reactions: dmcmtk

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here are two Barling's Make pots I have just finished conserving. Larger is 1579 Smaller is 1533. I believe these were for the British market.

18609611-orig.jpg

1533, Stamped Barling's Make

18609616-orig.jpg

Preedy (British Tobacconist) EL
Stem, Barling Cross, Barling Design on bottom

18609617-orig.jpg

1579 Stamped Barling's Make (Arch is less dramatic) Ye Olde Wood T.V.F.

18609613-orig.jpg

Made in England.
Stem Barling Cross, nothing on bottom

18609614-orig.jpg

This is a quite interesting thing. It goes through the bowl and the "carbs" are at the bottom of the smoking chamber.
Quite a precision fit so I do believe it is original to the pipe, I may be wrong... Jesse?

18609615-orig.jpg

Interesting Barling's Make stamp differences

18609618-orig.jpg

18609612-orig.jpg

18609619-orig.jpg
That's a great pair of pipes!
They were indeed made for the British market. I can't see the logo stamps too clearly, but the stamp on the 1579 is post WW2, so 1940's thru early 1950's. What's very odd about this pipe is that it has a Tro-Tube filter in it. I don't currently have access to my dating guide, but IIRC, the Tro-Tube filter went out of service in the late 1920's. So it may not be original to the pipe. Or, these filters may have been in use longer than the Tro-Tube era. It should come out and have a patent number and the words "Tro-Tube stamped on it. You may need a magnifier to read the stampings, but it would be very cool to know it the filter is stamped. The design was patented around 1924.
The smaller pot looks like a 1950's thru 1962 Barling Logo, but as I wrote, I can't quite make it out.
Beautiful wood on both of them. Barling's pots were wonderful smoking machines.

Excellent job on the clean up!

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
That's a great pair of pipes!
They were indeed made for the British market. I can't see the logo stamps too clearly, but the stamp on the 1579 is post WW2, so 1940's thru early 1950's. What's very odd about this pipe is that it has a Tro-Tube filter in it. I don't currently have access to my dating guide, but IIRC, the Tro-Tube filter went out of service in the late 1920's. So it may not be original to the pipe. Or, these filters may have been in use longer than the Tro-Tube era. It should come out and have a patent number and the words "Tro-Tube stamped on it. You may need a magnifier to read the stampings, but it would be very cool to know it the filter is stamped. The design was patented around 1924.
The smaller pot looks like a 1950's thru 1962 Barling Logo, but as I wrote, I can't quite make it out.
Beautiful wood on both of them. Barling's pots were wonderful smoking machines.

Excellent job on the clean up!
Thank you Sir.
If you click on the images they will come up larger, another click will make them full size.
I did not try to take the stinger out yet, it seemed pretty snug in there and I did not want to force it.
I will work with it more tomorrow.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, thank you!

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you Sir.
If you click on the images they will come up larger, another click will make them full size.
I did not try to take the stinger out yet, it seemed pretty snug in there and I did not want to force it.
I will work with it more tomorrow.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, thank you!

Hi Don,
You don't have to remove the stinger to see the stampings. They're very small and they extend way past where the stinger inserts into the stem. Don't force it. That stinger is very delicate. Past the two ponds the stinger continues deep into the stem and becomes a circular collar. That Tro-Tube stinger is certainly a curiosity.
I did figure out now to make the images large (nice rich photography BTW) and that told me that my guesstimate as to when they were made is on target.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Hi Don,
You don't have to remove the stinger to see the stampings. They're very small and they extend way past where the stinger inserts into the stem. Don't force it. That stinger is very delicate. Past the two ponds the stinger continues deep into the stem and becomes a circular collar. That Tro-Tube stinger is certainly a curiosity.
I did figure out now to make the images large (nice rich photography BTW) and that told me that my guesstimate as to when they were made is on target.
Thank you Sir!
I did not see any markings visible on the tube, perhaps they are further up into the stem. I will try to gently coax it out, I will not break it. Thank you again.

Reactions: sablebrush52

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I stand by my earlier comment, from what I'm seeing, the 1533 stummel (smaller logo) is older than 1579. Am I wrong? In fact, I'd say 1533 with the EL mark is ~ early 1940's.

Status
Not open for further replies.