PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I found this on my travels through AliExpress and actually bought one (decent battery and spacious chamber), but I haven't tried it yet because my current pipe rotation takes about a year to get through.

I also just placed and order for a laser to see how well it will work as a lighter, in principle you might also be able to do something similar to smokeless vape just heating up the tobacco in your pipe with light gun (I don't have high hopes for that method but it sounds cool enough I had to try).
I'll report back when I try it.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Circling back to this thread, I recently ordered a pile of burley and VaPer flakes and spent the past week ROARING through them like a blowtorch through tissue paper. Good smokes all but as a n00b I tend to be impatient, overpack, smoke too hard and then my tongue feels like a SpaceX Falcon Heavy just landed on it.

Told myself "Enough!" tonight, cracked a tin of MM965 (damn but if Peterson doesn't pack those cans tight; ya sure can't bark they don't give you a lot for your buck), yes it's a bit moist out of the tin, don't care, did a nice Frank Method stuff and just *kissed* a flame off it.

And hey how about that? A nice cool and flavorful smoke, just as sweet and easy as a spring rain or necking in the hammock on a summer day.

Now if only I can keep REMEMBERING to slow DOWN, my mouth wouldn't feel like a bingo hall ashtray for the next 5 hours... ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In a perfect world you would never "burn" tobacco, all your flavor comes from baking the steam out of it below the burning temperature.
Thus the aim of pipe smoking is to burn as little tobacco as possible.
smoking is in the most technical terms a convoluted form of vaping. Basically you're using the thing it's self to vape the oils and flavors out of the leaf. Don't tell the mods they might have to ban all conversations on a technicality.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Circling back to this thread, I recently ordered a pile of burley and VaPer flakes and spent the past week ROARING through them like a blowtorch through tissue paper. Good smokes all but as a n00b I tend to be impatient, overpack, smoke too hard and then my tongue feels like a SpaceX Falcon Heavy just landed on it.

Told myself "Enough!" tonight, cracked a tin of MM965 (damn but if Peterson doesn't pack those cans tight; ya sure can't bark they don't give you a lot for your buck), yes it's a bit moist out of the tin, don't care, did a nice Frank Method stuff and just *kissed* a flame off it.

And hey how about that? A nice cool and flavorful smoke, just as sweet and easy as a spring rain or necking in the hammock on a summer day.

Now if only I can keep REMEMBERING to slow DOWN, my mouth wouldn't feel like a bingo hall ashtray for the next 5 hours... ?
the mantra that helped me is to think sip on the pipe. Just sip it. Much easier to go slow and avoid tongue ouch.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Actually, I don't get as much flavor out of tobacco when there's barely any smoke going in my mouth.
I find it depends on the blend. Some really pop when barely going some need a little more heat. But they all lose flavor if you freight train the smoke. I find relaxed but above comatose to be a good place to start.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I turn down the dial on the Lotus lighter to where it similar to a match in heat .
You know, there’s something to that. When my flint went on me —
I was forced to use a paper match. I liked the way the match evenly lit the bowl and how it smoked. Never considered heat. I liked how the match lit the bowl’s entire surface evenly. — Sure didn’t miss the lighter fluid taste ? either.

Reactions: shermnatman

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I'll have to disagree. I think taking small sips and big puffs gives me the whole flavor range. Sometimes I produce little smoke, sometimes big clouds. I try to keep relights to a minimum and bowl cool (relights not always needed until the bottom of the bowl if at all).

I've found that more smoke means more flavor, but I guess it depends on what kind of flavors one is looking for.

On the internet it says that when smoking cigars one should take a puff each 60 seconds. Seems like a waste of cigar to me. Not following this advice at all.

Reactions: bullet08

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Im a stuff and puff kinda guy. Big clouds etc.

However I remember the first time I actually understood sipping to keep the bowl barely lit. Wife's new car lease last year, we had smoked cigs in it, but never my pipe at the time.

We were with our dog, and stopped at a random park to take her for a walk. Got out of the car, packed and lit my pipe, and when we got to the entrance we saw that the trail was closed. So we promptly got back inside and drove off.

My pipe was still lit, and I wanted to try to smoke it without her really noticing it. And boy the flavors that came out of it were unlike any other I've ever witnessed.

So it was like I was sneaking a smoke, with her right next to me. Hoping she wouldn't say anything. And she didn't. I felt like I got away with something, when really, I didn't.

So smoking slowly and sipping IS a real thing. I just don't care for it every day. Fast, hot, and cloudy is what I prefer.