PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Absolutely agree ?My first smoke of Samuel Gawith’s 1792 Flake was an epiphany, it was a tad damp and I’d loaded in a folded fashion. That smoke lasted an hour and a half in a Peterson 999 Dublin.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
1792 is in my top 5, and yes that's how I smoke it too, stuffed and folded out of the tin, lasts for ages!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
One time I had to run into home depot for maybe 15 minutes, I put my pipe down in the truck. When I came back I went to go light up and realised that a thin wisp of smoke was rising from the bowl...and it tasted incredible. I assume the windows being cracked open and a slight breeze had allowed the bowl to smoulder JUST enough to stay lit without being puffed...I renamed that day Cadence Day, and celebrate it annually by leaving lit pipes in various locations round the house.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Absolutely agree ?My first smoke of Samuel Gawith’s 1792 Flake was an epiphany, it was a tad damp and I’d loaded in a folded fashion. That smoke lasted an hour and a half in a Peterson 999 Dublin.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
@Ettrick puffer I couldn't make a pipeful of baccy last me that long - and I'd worry about it going out!

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
How I smoke is a good barometer of my mood. Stressful day, I pack a charge into the bowl like a doughboy loading a field howitzer and locomotive the poor bowl until the smoke plume is visible from space and my tongue tastes like the bottom of a birdcage.

But the other night I was feeling extraordinarily mellow, eeeeased a measure of Plum Pudding in, sidled onto the porch and proceeded to smolder that bad dad for about an hour, with delightful vapors of latakia dancing about my noggin.

Now any fool knows the second scenario is the ideal one and you'd think I'd learn, but yeah it's about 50/50. I'm getting better though.

Mar 1, 2014
How I smoke is a good barometer of my mood. Stressful day, I pack a charge into the bowl like a doughboy loading a field howitzer and locomotive the poor bowl until the smoke plume is visible from space and my tongue tastes like the bottom of a birdcage.

But the other night I was feeling extraordinarily mellow, eeeeased a measure of Plum Pudding in, sidled onto the porch and proceeded to smolder that bad dad for about an hour, with delightful vapors of latakia dancing about my noggin.

Now any fool knows the second scenario is the ideal one and you'd think I'd learn, but yeah it's about 50/50. I'm getting better though.
This is why Codger blends traditionally outsold boutique blends ten to one.
Busy people just need to stuff and puff on the go, so the most popular pipe tobacco was designed with that application in mind.

Mar 1, 2014
I agree. The cooler the smoke the better the flavor for me. I've wondered about trying to vaporize sometime to see how that tastes.
I found this on my travels through AliExpress and actually bought one (decent battery and spacious chamber), but I haven't tried it yet because my current pipe rotation takes about a year to get through.

I also just placed and order for a laser to see how well it will work as a lighter, in principle you might also be able to do something similar to smokeless vape just heating up the tobacco in your pipe with light gun (I don't have high hopes for that method but it sounds cool enough I had to try).

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I found this on my travels through AliExpress and actually bought one (decent battery and spacious chamber), but I haven't tried it yet because my current pipe rotation takes about a year to get through.

I also just placed and order for a laser to see how well it will work as a lighter, in principle you might also be able to do something similar to smokeless vape just heating up the tobacco in your pipe with light gun (I don't have high hopes for that method but it sounds cool enough I had to try).
I turn down the dial on the Lotus lighter to where it similar to a match in heat .

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
I had a similar revelation with Peterson Flake in a Sav Billiard Churchwarden. Around a 2 hour smoke and on each sip I had to stoke the bowl with two fingers. That was the first smoke that I truly got flavors from and I’ve been hooked since.