Baofa Butane Pipe Lighter. Worth the Investment?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
https://loja.charutosecachimbos.com.br/isqueiro-macarico-jobon-chumbo-quadriculado-macarico-e-chama-normal-p43822/
Just bought this.
Pure shit. Cost me R$80, which means $20.
I'm gonna go back to the store and trade for something else, any reccomendations?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, me and my videos, but here, see how this man is using a 'normal' Zippo (without the pipe insert, which makes it behave like a BIC) and see how he tilts the pipe to light it: https://youtu.be/VpXFuSdMfG0?t=593. I learned the 'trick' from there. If the pipe is packed properly, the contents won't spill if you tilt it sideways; as a matter of fact, a pipe freshly packed can be flipped upside down and the tobacco will stay in the chamber**.

**Freshly packed. Please, don't do this once you've started smoking it! (Or if you used the gravity fill method to pack cubed flake.)

Reactions: vates

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm returning my shitty "Jobon" shortly, should a standard Zippo be an option?
I have R$80 (20 dollars) at my disposal, much more than enough for a BIC. I have to spend it on something more expensive.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Unless you are really set on purchasing a quote 'pipe lighter' than a standard pack of six Bic lighters will set you back less than ten bucks and they work fine.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I have a zippo because it’s a cool nostalgic lighter
It’s also fairly tough and almost wind proof , but yes , the recommended ronson lighter fluid does have an odour
It leaks too , but some say a light smear of petroleum jelly will seal it up

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I got this Baofa pipe lighter and it's very unreliable. Looking for one with a spark wheel, the electric spark becomes weak with time and all those loud klicks are driving me mad.
I'm also wondering how to refill it properly, no matter how hard I push when trying to empty it completely before a refill there's no sign of any gas coming out.
BIC is the best alternative but I got spoiled by the side flame that only pipe lighters have. :)

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
@mrmachado I bought an expensive pipe lighter when I first started but now I just use a BIC or matches, unless you like the idea of having a nice pipe lighter to compliment your whole kit I, like many others, recommend a trip to the local shop and a cheap disposable lighter

Reactions: jpmcwjr

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
giphy.gif

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@mrmachado I bought an expensive pipe lighter when I first started but now I just use a BIC or matches, unless you like the idea of having a nice pipe lighter to compliment your whole kit I, like many others, recommend a trip to the local shop and a cheap disposable lighter
Macado left the building some time ago.

I started with BICs and matches, now I much prefer a good- even expensive- butane lighter and small wooden matches. To each his own!

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Macado left the building some time ago.

I started with BICs and matches, now I much prefer a good- even expensive- butane lighter and small wooden matches. To each his own!
Whoops,:LOL:. Didn't even realize. I bought myself a Xikar along with my own pipe. It stopped working correctly within two weeks and then I promptly lost it. I know just use cheaper means out of spite.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Reactions: jpmcwjr and luigi

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Huh! My Xicar's spring needed springing— that is, I stretched it out to give more pressure against the wheel.

For bang for the buck, I recommend the Chinese "tribute" (hah) lighters, aka "Fauxponts". DuPont. Got four of them on eBay for about $25 each including shipping, about a year ago. Rock solid, heavy as a brick.

But I really like my Old Boys- IM Coronas, and the Kiribi ones. They are much more expensive than the above.

Reactions: luigi

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Huh! My Xicar's spring needed springing— that is, I stretched it out to give more pressure against the wheel.

For bang for the buck, I recommend the Chinese "tribute" (hah) lighters, aka "Fauxponts". DuPont. Got four of them on eBay for about $25 each including shipping, about a year ago. Rock solid, heavy as a brick.

But I really like my Old Boys- IM Coronas, and the Kiribi ones. They are much more expensive than the above.

One day. One day I'll have the money for an Old Boy.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I'm thinking of buying a lighter called "Clipper", very famous and cheap here.
Like Bics. But they can be recharged with Butane.
It's around $1.50.
Order two, papa. One for me because those sound great!
I always play around with the idea of buying an old boy style from IM Corona or Kiribi, or buying an old roll from back when things held up, but I never do because there is no functional shortcoming to a BIC that isn't solvable with spending a nickel to buy another. Pony spit.
It's not about having the money for the purchase for me. There's just no amount of play money you can put in my pocket for me to realistically not buy tobacco with, not with BICs being the only lighter that's never let me down. At the price point they just can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: luigi and jhowell
Status
Not open for further replies.