Baofa Butane Pipe Lighter. Worth the Investment?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
https://www.catalogocdc.com/isqueiro-para-cachimbo-baofa-preto
My budget is limited. A Zippo is very expensive to me atm. Is this inferior to a Zippo or not? How so?
I'd like opinions.
Thanks.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well I browsed that website as best I could, but it looked like when I went to lighters there was a brushed zippo lighter in there at the same price as that thing.
Yes, if it's a torch style lighter, that's not what you want. Yes, it'll light the tobacco, along with the walls of your pipe. I'd steer clear of any torch style lighter. What you want is a soft flame lighter. Hell, pick up some of those Bic lighters on there if you need to, think I saw a 6-pack. They're at least a soft flame.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
It's a soft flame lighter I guess, I've seen a discussion here on PipesMagazine about people using it.
About zippos, they are around $30, which means R$120. Very expensive for me.
This lighter is around half of the price.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm hating using matches all the time. I spend a lot of matches and they bother me.
Are BICs actually good?

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
BICs are fine if you’re on a budget. I have a nice pipe lighter but always have a BIC for back up when it runs out of fuel unexpectedly. Just be careful with flame and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: didimauw

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I have a Zippo pipe lighter and it works very well except for the strong taste of lighter fluid. I always end up going back to a Bic. Just gotta be careful with the flame as it’s easy to burn the rim if you’re not careful.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I used nothing but matches and a BIC when I was traveling. BICs are fine, but watch out for wind: there's one thing worse than wind blowing out your flame: wind blowing your flame against your fingers! (Which can happen with any flame, but I learned that lesson—painfully—with a BIC).
Whilst BICs don't shoot the flame to the side, you can always tilt your pipe 45° towards the lighter and accomplish the same effect of a dedicated 'pipe lighter'.

Reactions: yanoJL
Jan 8, 2013
I have a Zippo pipe lighter and it works very well except for the strong taste of lighter fluid.
Light Zippo, let burn 3 to 5 seconds, then light pipe. Letting it burn a few seconds will solve that issue.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm thinking of buying a lighter called "Clipper", very famous and cheap here.
Like Bics. But they can be recharged with Butane.
It's around $1.50.

Reactions: sandollars

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Try eBay for some Chinese stuff , always free shipping
If you are patient with the bidding process you can get a good bargain refillable lighter , it's going to last longer and be more economical in the long run

Reactions: didimauw

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It looks exactly like a Ronson butane lighter. The Ronson lighter will light fine until it's time to refill. After the first refill the flame reduces, even at the high setting. I'd take previous recommendations and stick with matches and Bics.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@Philo Beddoe, I don't know the rules about importing tobacco, but tobacco isn't illegal so there shouldn't be any problems.
Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.