PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Trim them only, as they are too long for my MacQueen churchwarden. It's impossible to get balsa sheets in this city.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm new to the balsa filter world, but I have wondered about trying to make my own. But it would be much easier to just add some to my up coming tobacco orders.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For us Canadians, cutting our own is a real way to save money. I've been using the balsa filters sold by Missouri Meerschaum (I've also a pack of Savinellis, which I'm yet to use), which fit their filtered cobs and my MQ churchie, but of course reordering them is not gonna be cheap. Balsa filters for 9 mm pipes are very expensive at $40 USD per pack, plus shipping, plus possible duties—especially at the current exchange rate.

Jun 27, 2016
Do you just mod the Savinelli insert? Or cut it from "from the scratch"?

The two on the left were cut from 1/4" square strips. The one on the right was cut from a 1/4" triangle strip. The triangle strips cost about twice as much ($2 for a 36" strip) but are easier to work with. In general, I avoid the really soft pithy balsa strips & try to get ones that are a little more dense, but still softer than basswood. The filters end up about 1 1/4" long, 1/4" wide, & between 3/8" to 1/4" tall.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I buy the biggest pack I can get, it's 200 or 300 filters. Those small Savinelli bags with italian flag on them are a steal.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
You're talking all of $30 for 300 6mm Savinelli filters, at one per day, that's about 10 months worth, or $3 per month...I'd rather spend my time at one of my beach houses or here in the mountains than cutting my own filters.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
The only filters I have ever bought are the Brigham ones, which were only a few bucks from the local smoke shop. I can't I at One they'd be any cheaper if I cut my own balsa tube.

I've got a bit of a grump right now, but it's my own fault. Pushed just a smidge too hard & now the insert (Sav brand) in my '18 half-bent St. Nick is stuck so far in now that I can't even ease it out with Tweezers, a cleaner, or a Leatherman. I'm going to have to try a stiffer flexible wire from the other end, or crook a straight pin, or very thin nail to be able have a shot at getting it out by shreds. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I've got a bit of a grump right now, but it's myt own fault. Pushed just a smidge too hard & now the insert (Sav brand) in my '18 half-bent St. Nick is stuck so far in now that I can't even ease it out with Tweezers, a cleaner, or a Leatherman. I'm going to have to try a stiffer flexible wire from the other end, or crook a straight pin, or very thin nail to be able have a shot at getting it out by shreds. :(

Put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and try again. If you haven't tried it yet, of cause.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So now that I have been using the Savinelli balsa filters regularly, I have been re using them. I let them dry, and the next day they are good to go again. However I noticed that they have been shrinking in size...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've got a bit of a grump right now, but it's my own fault. Pushed just a smidge too hard & now the insert (Sav brand) in my '18 half-bent St. Nick is stuck so far in now that I can't even ease it out with Tweezers, a cleaner, or a Leatherman. I'm going to have to try a stiffer flexible wire from the other end, or crook a straight pin, or very thin nail to be able have a shot at getting it out by shreds. :(

You may have luck by letting it dry out significantly. It should shrink a tad, as well as be firmer to grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.