PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Russ used to personally oversee shipping, and made reforms. He would actually personally check on orders for folks also. But then, when complaints got irrational and insults started, I think he dialed back how much he was willing to bend over backwards for folks.
We probably want to watch how many times we try to drag SP.com administration into discussions on here, or else they will start top feel taken advantage of. Someone could have emailed him first. It's not really fair to publicly put these guys on the spot for every iota and notion for a post that crosses a forum member's mind.

Just saying... we don't wanna squeeze the Goose too often.
This isn’t a vendor related issue. No one is forced to respond. Is the key to the gate here really heavy?

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wasn't admonishing you for tagging folks, just posting it for everyone. Yes, I tagged Russ, but he hasn't really responded to tags lately. And, I don't blame him.

I think that discussing it is a great post. My experiences with people claiming that their jewelry designs were stolen usually don't pan out. You almost have to have access top their files to prove these things. I've had several of my designs reproduced by these catalog jewelry companies, but enforcing copyright for a sculptural design like jewelry or a pipe shape is almost impossible. It's the logo and trademarks that are more easily protected.
But, ultimately, I would wonder why a Peterson shape would be any more outrageous to assimilate than a Dunhill shape or an Eltang.
It’s not the shapes you aren’t even understanding the discussion here.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Yeh, the weird part is that the factory run Petes are already cheap as shit, IMO. It is like counterfeiting cheap Czech tools. Doesn't make sense to me. I would not be surprised if these turned out to come out of the Peterson factory. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if they came out of Poland or some other Eastern European company.
It says they're made in Italy in the description. I personally think it's part of a friendly-ish war between SP and P&C that's becoming less friendly.
Does anyone know if SP is selling Stanwells again? Is Stanwell now owned by the same brand that owns Erin Go Bragh?

Not being a Peterson fan but having a few in my racks, I bet these "knock offs" are probably just as good as the originals.

Like Cosmic said, it's nearly impossible to lay claim to a design whether it be a pipe or jewelry. If you could sue for design, Sixten Ivarsson would have died a very, very, rich man. The same could be said about several other pioneering pipe makers.

What I want to know is why they decided to make an entire line to come after the Peterson line? In the Automotive Industry that would be like making knock offs of Kia's. Why bother? Couldn't they have set their sights a bit higher? puffy

In either case, I don't think they will take much, if any business from Peterson.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Not being a Peterson fan but having a few in my racks, I bet these "knock offs" are probably just as good as the originals.

Like Cosmic said, it's nearly impossible to lay claim to a design whether it be a pipe or jewelry. If you could sue for design, Sixten Ivarsson would have died a very, very, rich man. The same could be said about several other pioneering pipe makers.

What I want to know is why they decided to make an entire line to come after the Peterson line? In the Automotive Industry that would be like making knock offs of Kia's. Why bother? Couldn't they have set their sights a bit higher? puffy

In either case, I don't think they will take much, if any business from Peterson.
What if I made a car called the Henry F. Taurus. But it didn’t look exactly like a Ford Taurus?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Much ado about nuthin...

Erin Go Bragh decides to add a pipe line to their tobacco portfolio. They contract an Italian company to make the pipes... design of the pipes loosely follows similar designs made by another manufacturer.

PM’s pipe industry experts cry FOUL!

If there were a copyright/patent on any design, which is rare, it would have probably expired years ago, since said designs are decades old.

The lions share of factory pipes are made in Italy, due to a number of factors. Price, quality, facilities and the experienced labor force are probably among those.

The practice of pipe manufacturers turning out private label products is decades old, and allows the manufacturers to establish economies of scale.

I haven’t had an Italian factory pipe that I would consider poorly or substandard, either.

As for the pipes in question, I doubt I would mistake them for a Peterson, and at the price they are asking I would just opt for a Peterson, since I could get it for a few dollars less from SP anyway...

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Much ado about nuthin...
As is any conversation about tobacco pipes, if you're inclined to think that way about it. But this is PipesMagazine.com's Pipe Talk forum, so here we are.
A new line of pipes has been released under a generic house-brand name (Erin Go Bragh doesn't exist as anything other than an STG label) and is using Peterson shapes, colorways, shape numbers, and line names.
Italian factories have been making "well pipe" system knockoffs for nearly the last 100 years, so it's nothing new, but it's still interesting to see this new line roll out this March, just a year or two behind their biggest competitor acquiring the Peterson brand.
If you don't think it's worth discussing, I'm sure there's a thread discussing dead celebrities, or fishing, or eating camels or something more interesting to you somewhere.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
So what’s you’re point...?

I was discussing it.

If I don’t share your opinion, I should piss off...? Is that it?
I took "much ado about nothing" to mean discussing these pipes is making a big fuss over something insignificant.
There isn't much to discuss besides them being Italian made Pete clones made exclusively for P&C, and why they might want to push a product line that doesn't put money directly into the other big online pipe dealers pocket.
I don't see anyone with torches and pitchforks chanting "SUE THEM" or anything, just a few people postulating that there might would or could be some form of retaliation over it.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I decided to go have a look at these pipes. This particular model and accompanying description are something else.

"Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes will seem very familiar to you at first glance, but these aren't anything like the cheap knockoffs with shank caps that would fall off and stems that would break. Tirim pipes are smooth briars that are finished in a warm walnut tone with a lustrous finish. The shank has a bright metal cap that is fully integrated so it's made to last. The stem has the recognizable fluted shape you would expect, but it's made with incredibly durable and brilliant ebony acrylic and uses the more comfortable fishtail bit. Finally, instead of using a reservoir to deliver a dry smoke, Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes use a 9mm charcoal filter to reduce excess moisture and cool the smoke. Best of all, you'll save a lot with these pipes vs. similar briars."

pegbt-pf-1002.jpeg

I decided to go have a look at these pipes. This particular model and accompanying description are something else.

"Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes will seem very familiar to you at first glance, but these aren't anything like the cheap knockoffs with shank caps that would fall off and stems that would break. Tirim pipes are smooth briars that are finished in a warm walnut tone with a lustrous finish. The shank has a bright metal cap that is fully integrated so it's made to last. The stem has the recognizable fluted shape you would expect, but it's made with incredibly durable and brilliant ebony acrylic and uses the more comfortable fishtail bit. Finally, instead of using a reservoir to deliver a dry smoke, Erin Go Bragh Tirim pipes use a 9mm charcoal filter to reduce excess moisture and cool the smoke. Best of all, you'll save a lot with these pipes vs. similar briars."

View attachment 73002
Where is that quote from? Is it from the P&C website?

Status
Not open for further replies.