Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laudisi owns Peterson. If it was my company I’d be pretty upset by the obvious line-walking on copyright.
Ehhhh... does Peterson hold a protection for their shapes? I mean, pipemakers have been copying each other since the very first pipe was made. They aren't stealing the logo or stampings or passing them off as Petersons. .

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Post a link to those pipes. I have a hard time believing SmokingPipes would list knock-off Petersons?
I said P&C in the OP! My first thoughts were: new Italian made Stanwells, and Vikings with no country of origin stampings, like the basket ready Crowns and Romas, are all probably made in the same Italian factory for P&C.

You know Russ gonna say don't blame him, he just blends the leaves!
I really don't see anything to blame anyone for. How many artisans are copying Eltang's designs? Dunhill's? There's no wrongdoing going on, unless someone sees where someone is calling these Petersons.

Russ tends to know a lot more about what is going on at P&C than you'd think. He would know at least a little something about this company.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I really don't see anything to blame anyone for. How many artisans are copying Eltang's designs? Dunhill's? There's no wrongdoing going on, unless someone sees where someone is calling these Petersons.

Russ tends to know a lot more about what is going on at P&C than you'd think. He would know at least a little something about this company.
It was a joke. When folks complain about P&C shipping and handling that's usually his response.

It was a joke. When folks complain about P&C shipping and handling that's usually his response.
Russ used to personally oversee shipping, and made reforms. He would actually personally check on orders for folks also. But then, when complaints got irrational and insults started, I think he dialed back how much he was willing to bend over backwards for folks.
We probably want to watch how many times we try to drag SP.com administration into discussions on here, or else they will start top feel taken advantage of. Someone could have emailed him first. It's not really fair to publicly put these guys on the spot for every iota and notion for a post that crosses a forum member's mind.

Just saying... we don't wanna squeeze the Goose too often.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
We probably want to watch how many times we try to drag SP.com administration into discussions on here, or else they will start top feel taken advantage of. Someone could have emailed him first. It's not really fair to publicly put these guys on the spot for every iota and notion for a post that crosses a forum member's mind.
I didn't tag or drag anyone anywhere. Didn't you tag Russ? I just thought forum members might be interested in the new line of Pete clones. Since this is the Pipe Talk section of the forum, I figured it was a good place to discuss a new line of pipes. The design is, uh, quite derivative, so that coupled with the fact that they're only a few bucks less than what they're derivative of, is likely to be the heart of the discussion.
Honestly, if(when) Russ and the kind folks at P&C put them on sale for $30, I almost want to pick one up just for the sake of fair comparison. And sure, almost all factory pipes are copies of old French and English designs, but it's hard not to see the "Wish version" factor going on here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just assumed these are like house pipes, made by a big outfit and stamped with the name of the smaller outfit, which is the tobacco maker Erin Go Braugh. I thought they were Peterson-made. Since they are selling to the pipe community, everyone recognizes the look. I'd be surprised if these are knock-offs. That wouldn't be ballsy, just tacky.

I didn't tag or drag anyone anywhere. Didn't you tag Russ? I just thought forum members might be interested in the new line of Pete clones. Since this is the Pipe Talk section of the forum, I figured it was a good place to discuss a new line of pipes. The design is, uh, quite derivative, so that coupled with the fact that they're only a few bucks less than what they're derivative of, is likely to be the heart of the discussion.
Honestly, if(when) Russ and the kind folks at P&C put them on sale for $30, I almost want to pick one up just for the sake of fair comparison. And sure, almost all factory pipes are copies of old French and English designs, but it's hard not to see the "Wish version" factor going on here.
I wasn't admonishing you for tagging folks, just posting it for everyone. Yes, I tagged Russ, but he hasn't really responded to tags lately. And, I don't blame him.

I think that discussing it is a great post. My experiences with people claiming that their jewelry designs were stolen usually don't pan out. You almost have to have access top their files to prove these things. I've had several of my designs reproduced by these catalog jewelry companies, but enforcing copyright for a sculptural design like jewelry or a pipe shape is almost impossible. It's the logo and trademarks that are more easily protected.
But, ultimately, I would wonder why a Peterson shape would be any more outrageous to assimilate than a Dunhill shape or an Eltang.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Which part is copyright/trademark infringement? They didn't use the Peterson logo or their "system." Everything else can be freely imitated would be my guess.
Limerick is one of their lines and the whole image is a blatant rip-off. Even if legal they should be cut-off from real Peterson pipes IMO.

I think the galling part is not the shape but the entire package - color schemes, nomenclature, etc.
Yeh, the weird part is that the factory run Petes are already cheap as shit, IMO. It is like counterfeiting cheap Czech tools. Doesn't make sense to me. I would not be surprised if these turned out to come out of the Peterson factory. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if they came out of Poland or some other Eastern European company.

Status
Not open for further replies.