PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I'm still trying to confirm my smells as a novice. I can't tell what exactly I'm smelling even after I do some research. My nose does not seem to match the few tin note descriptors I find online.

I started off with Lane 1-Q, moved quickly onto Escudo and much prefer it, haven't touched 1-Q since. Escudo smells like tobacco to me. Just what I remember when I tried cigars, and what I imagine when I think of delicious tobacco. My recent order included some "Balkans" and heavier blends. C&D Red Odessa, Morley's Best, Epiphany (maybe not Balkan)... But they all have this bizarre underlying smell. I thought something was wrong at first. It wasn't appealing to me, the taste is nowhere near the smell, but still...

It smelled like a chemical when I opened up this round's box. Then quickly moved into some sort of rubber tire, then firewood smell. A burnt log? It's extremely pungent, not like smelling a light sugary Virginia.

Is this an accurate experience of these blends?

Reactions: JOHN72
Jun 23, 2019
Taste is very personal.

Some people react poorly to Latakia, some to Perique, and some to Red Virginias. It could be a particular Oriental leaf that bothers you. (Some people get this chemically taste to certain components) So your problem could be from any number of factors.

But chances are it's just growing pains as a novice. Most people take months (without exaggeration) to properly master drying, packing, lighting a pipe, and then it's a whole 'nother skill keeping it lit with your breathing cadence.

Unlike cigars, pipe smoking has a slightly steeper learning curve.

I would recommend something like GLP Chelsea Morning - it's mild but about as flavorful as a Balkan can get and on the premium side. If it's still chemicals and burn rubber then you're probably reacting to one of the leaves.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
When I started smoking pipe, the guys at the shop were all smoking strong English blends. It was burning tires to me also.

I finally found Syrian Latakia blends and they were great. Then later, I got used to the Cyprian Latakia you are smelling.

I left smoking for 8 years and came backing smoking VA and VApers for a year. Now, I’m starting on the English blends. I like VA forward and Latakia way in the back. Two nice ones are Chelsea Morning and Blackpoint.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
When I started smoking pipe, the guys at the shop were all smoking strong English blends. It was burning tires to me also.

I finally found Syrian Latakia blends and they were great. Then later, I got used to the Cyprian Latakia you are smelling.

I left smoking for 8 years and came backing smoking VA and VApers for a year. Now, I’m starting on the English blends. I like VA forward and Latakia way in the back. Two nice ones are Chelsea Morning and Blackpoint.
This gives me comfort. I'm sure nobody on this forum has ever heard of a manufacturing issue or chemical issue with tobaccos, but being brand new, no pipe shop around for reference, I just had to make sure even if I felt it was likely fine.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I wonder where you've been getting the idea to try what you have tried?
As a typical newbie, you seem interested in learning as much as fast as you can. No judgement here. I was the same way about this fantastic hobby.
Here's a good way to get an idea about blends and blenders.
Tobacco Reviews
Use Mr. Jiminks as your baseline and marvel at his palate and proliferation.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I wonder where you've been getting the idea to try what you have tried?
As a typical newbie, you seem interested in learning as much as fast as you can. No judgement here. I was the same way about this fantastic hobby.
Here's a good way to get an idea about blends and blenders.
Tobacco Reviews
Use Mr. Jiminks as your baseline and marvel at his palate and proliferation.
Well I have been an espresso enthusiast for about 3 years now.

99% of the time I drink straight espresso and no espresso I've gotten from "third wave shops" near me has ever touched mine, only recently I got a steamer for lattes and I don't drink dairy, so I'm still experimenting with oat milk as I always have dozens of pounds of oats on hand.

I placed my first order knowing nothing. I ordered a pipe over $50, and random blends from the bulk section that had a rating over 4.0 on smokingpipes.com, as well as if they had a badge, like "Top 100" or "Top 25"... I immediately did not enjoy the only aromatic I got, 1-Q, since it smelled like my baking pantry after opening vanilla extract. The second order of all these new tobaccos was only because of a C&D sale... I love to explore, I am not a find something and stick with it person. I'm sure I'll have a permanent rotation but I will always be exploring.

How could I say no for 20% off?

After the first order I was convinced this hobby is almost tangentially identical to espresso.

Curing and fermenting tobacco: drying/washing and fermenting coffee beans
Aging tobacco: roasting coffee beans
Preparing the tobacco: grinding coffee beans
Packing a bowl: preparing a basket
Tamping tobacco: tamping portafilter
Char light: pre infusion.... you get the idea

My palate is alright but I'm still new to the retrohale. I roast all my beans at home. If I could grow coffee in FL you bet your bippy I would! Unfortunately one of my favorite crops likes high mountains and shade. Luckily tobacco grows here :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not all tobacco is fermented. In fact, I'd venture to guess that only Perique would quaiify.
You were way ahead of me because you at least started ordering pipe tobacco from a pipe tobacco vendor.
I, on the other hand, hadn't 'done the research' and had been ordering and smoking RYO cigs before getting the bright idea to bypass papers with an inexpensive corn cob. I even shopped further bulk ryo's from non pipe smoking vendors for a bit until I discovered this forum. That was about 8 yrs ago and the funny thing is: I just recently tried 1-Q for the first time, and I enjoy it a lot. I typically mix my own burley, va, and perique.
Latakia was fun while it lasted. I seldom smoke it now.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Not all tobacco is fermented. In fact, I'd venture to guess that only Perique would quaiify.
You were way ahead of me because you at least started ordering pipe tobacco from a pipe tobacco vendor.
I, on the other hand, hadn't 'done the research' and had been ordering and smoking RYO cigs before getting the bright idea to bypass papers with an inexpensive corn cob. I even shopped further bulk ryo's from non pipe smoking vendors for a bit until I discovered this forum. That was about 8 yrs ago and the funny thing is: I just recently tried 1-Q for the first time, and I enjoy it a lot. I typically mix my own burley, va, and perique.
Latakia was fun while it lasted. I seldom smoke it now.

That is interesting... Perhaps I've done too much research on cigar production. You are telling me that a lot of the blends we smoke are mostly just cured leaves save for perique?

That is something I won't try for a while... mixing my own blends. Although I'm sure there is good information on this forum about it plus people like you that can help when someone starts mixing. I only just recently tried my hand at using my own grain bill for homebrew. It was quite good, not great, but good, it's gotten better over time and mellowed out, a classic Brown Ale. I made it for winter, it's now summer and I need an IPA. I don't drink enough beer so unfortunately I only get 2-4 brews/years. Living in the suburbs does not help community unfortunately and I have my beers kegged and on tap with no one to share them with.

When I first researched organic tobacco I did find some American Spirit cigs but I don't have a cig personality and I knew like cigars, there were options you didn't have to inhale. Thus my anti-inhaling crusade led me to pipes! I discovered smokingpipes.com and tobaccopipes.com, Why I ended up settling on smokingpipes is beyond me but I just chose one and stuck with it. Not to mention my preference for purity. Who knows what they stuff into cigarettes. Pipe tobacco is something I can grow in the backyard, which is what made me consider it in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlopez

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I'm still trying to confirm my smells as a novice. I can't tell what exactly I'm smelling even after I do some research. My nose does not seem to match the few tin note descriptors I find online.

I started off with Lane 1-Q, moved quickly onto Escudo and much prefer it, haven't touched 1-Q since. Escudo smells like tobacco to me. Just what I remember when I tried cigars, and what I imagine when I think of delicious tobacco. My recent order included some "Balkans" and heavier blends. C&D Red Odessa, Morley's Best, Epiphany (maybe not Balkan)... But they all have this bizarre underlying smell. I thought something was wrong at first. It wasn't appealing to me, the taste is nowhere near the smell, but still...

It smelled like a chemical when I opened up this round's box. Then quickly moved into some sort of rubber tire, then firewood smell. A burnt log? It's extremely pungent, not like smelling a light sugary Virginia.

"Rubber Tires"....add this one to the list.

CP.png

Reactions: jlopez and Kooky

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I find the UK flag unsurprising in this case... I am a huge soccer fan, sometimes I feel like I should've been born in the UK. Wonder how shunned pipe culture is there compared to America?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Latakia tobacco is dark fired. Unlike Kentucky & Tennessee dark fired tobaccos which use hickory, sycamore, and other local woods, Latakia is fired, at least in part, by mastic tree slabs and chips. I've always assumed the "burnt rubber" notes of Latakia come from the chemical components of that particular tree. Somehow, it works (for me).

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Latakia tobacco is dark fired. Unlike Kentucky & Tennessee dark fired tobaccos which use hickory, sycamore, and other local woods, Latakia is fired, at least in part, by mastic tree slabs and chips. I've always assumed the "burnt rubber" notes of Latakia come from the chemical components of that particular tree. Somehow, it works (for me).
As I was scouting instagram for info on the smell of Morley’s Best one person replied to me “creosote” which I assume would smell similar.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan

As mentioned that’s the Latakia. I gave Latakia blends a good try through several tins of different blends, and at the end of that process I was at the same place I started: I also think Latakia tastes like a rubber tire, and it pervades and dominates any blend I’ve had it in (with a few exceptions).
Try some other stuff like more Virginias, VaPers, burleys, etc. In a little while, come back and try a Latakia blend again. If you still don’t like it, then you’ve just saved yourself a lot of time and money in your exploration of pipe blends. If you do like it, then you’ve got a huge number of blends to sample through. Knowing what you don’t like is just as important as knowing what you like.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
As mentioned that’s the Latakia. I gave Latakia blends a good try through several tins of different blends, and at the end of that process I was at the same place I started: I also think Latakia tastes like a rubber tire, and it pervades and dominates any blend I’ve had it in (with a few exceptions).
Try some other stuff like more Virginias, VaPers, burleys, etc. In a little while, come back and try a Latakia blend again. If you still don’t like it, then you’ve just saved yourself a lot of time and money in your exploration of pipe blends. If you do like it, then you’ve got a huge number of blends to sample through. Knowing what you don’t like is just as important as knowing what you like.

I have been enjoying them. I imagine it takes some people a while to enjoy them but I have been drinking straight espressos for years now, sometimes I have a light, fruity roast, other times I have a dark Colombian that puts hair on my chest with every sip. Luckily for me, it's mostly the smell, which I am getting used to. The taste is not the same (thank goodness).

I have found one Lat blend that was so unbelievably smooth on the retrohale, it did remind me a bit of menthol but my palate is not refined enough to confirm, I'm not a fan of casings but this was great. I think, just like Va/Pers and every other tobacco that exists, there are good and bad blends.

As a noob I have a hate/love with having to experiment so much, the discovery is fun but finding the gems is going to take a while. I have probably 15+ blends already, 2oz, some in 4 or 8.... everyone's tastes are different. Some love something, others hate it. I'm sure there are people that absolutely hate the blend I described as heavenly. With that said, blends like Escudo have a special place in my heart, it's what I thought a tobacco pipe would be like. Not tobacco that smells like a whiskey bottle, or tobacco that smells like a rubber tire. I guess due to my minor experience with cigars.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have been enjoying them. I imagine it takes some people a while to enjoy them but I have been drinking straight espressos for years now, sometimes I have a light, fruity roast, other times I have a dark Colombian that puts hair on my chest with every sip. Luckily for me, it's mostly the smell, which I am getting used to. The taste is not the same (thank goodness).

I have found one Lat blend that was so unbelievably smooth on the retrohale, it did remind me a bit of menthol but my palate is not refined enough to confirm, I'm not a fan of casings but this was great. I think, just like Va/Pers and every other tobacco that exists, there are good and bad blends.

As a noob I have a hate/love with having to experiment so much, the discovery is fun but finding the gems is going to take a while. I have probably 15+ blends already, 2oz, some in 4 or 8.... everyone's tastes are different. Some love something, others hate it. I'm sure there are people that absolutely hate the blend I described as heavenly. With that said, blends like Escudo have a special place in my heart, it's what I thought a tobacco pipe would be like. Not tobacco that smells like a whiskey bottle, or tobacco that smells like a rubber tire. I guess due to my minor experience with cigars.

I smoked cigarettes (quit a long time ago, many years before I smoked a pipe) and cigars (which I still smoke) before I picked up a pipe, and the only pipe tobaccos I truly dislike are Latakia and flowery Lakelands. It isn’t a question of “taking a while to enjoy them,” I am 100% certain I don’t like them. I gave them a good chance, and they’re not for me.
I also don’t like raspberry vinaigrette. I don’t stress about it or try to acquire the taste. I just eat the salad dressings that I enjoy. Same with pipe tobacco.