PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fooberticus

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2019
I picked up a tin of Balkan Sobranie at SmokingPipes when they were available the other day and cracked it open this afternoon. I don't think it's worth the $15 I paid for it. There are so many other, better tasting oriental-forward english blends for a much lower price. It's novel for the yenidje flavor, but way overhyped for what it is in my opinion.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I picked up a tin of Balkan Sobranie at SmokingPipes when they were available the other day and cracked it open this afternoon. I don't think it's worth the $15 I paid for it. There are so many other, better tasting oriental-forward english blends for a much lower price. It's novel for the yenidje flavor, but way overhyped for what it is in my opinion.
White knight..........

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I like BS but not at that price. I bought a sleeve of 4 tins last week at Iwan Ries for 14.20 a tin.
I got a tin there about two weeks ago. I went through it pretty quick, so that must mean I liked it
?‍♂️ I couldn't compare it to any of the old versions, so can't say how it stacks up, but if you're curious to try it, there's only one way to scratch the itch...
...I don't remember having tried White Knight, but I'll try to remember to pick some up.

Reactions: 3rdguy and cshubhra

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you really want to "taste the legend" it's going to cost you about $300. If you're lucky, it won't be a ghost of its former self.
Yeah I don’t even like the stuff was just posting for others.

not a very big Latakia fan but White Knight is not bad at all. Almost needs to be smoked fresh though it seems.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
not a very big Latakia fan but White Knight is not bad at all. Almost needs to be smoked fresh though it seems.

I think a lot of Balkans are that way. If you want your latakia punchy and full strength it's best to avoid aging.

Reactions: Fooberticus

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
Interesting, just saw a few tins at Iwan Ries the other day. They must have sent a new batch to a bunch of US retailers. I know it's subjective but this may be my favorite smoking mixture. A bowl of this stuff always helps me endure the brutal Chicago cold, especially since I wouldn't dare smoke it inside.

Edit: wow, just checked the price, I love this stuff for $14 (which is what it costs at Iwan Ries) but for $20, forget it since there are other Balkans that taste very similar for half of that price. It's a bold flavor, certainly not for everyone. I guess I must be a fan of "gasoline infused puppy farts"

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and ron123

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting, just saw a few tins at Iwan Ries the other day. They must have sent a new batch to a bunch of US retailers. I know it's subjective but this may be my favorite smoking mixture. A bowl of this stuff always helps me endure the brutal Chicago cold, especially since I wouldn't dare smoke it inside.

Edit: wow, just checked the price, I love this stuff for $14 (which is what it costs at Iwan Ries) but for $20, forget it since there are other Balkans that taste very similar for half of that price. It's a bold flavor, certainly not for everyone. I guess I must be a fan of "gasoline infused puppy farts"
I never tried the stuff but from what I have seen it's the Dorian fruit of blends. I honestly have seen more one blend smokers with that stuff then anything else. Or heard as much don't trust the hype. Which kind of makes it a must try considering at worst it will be educational.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.