PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
When I started smoking a pipe, a fellow pipe smoker that rode the morning commuter train with me, suggested Balkan Blue. I finally was able to find a tin and I absolutely loved it. I jarred about half the tin, and was content for a time smoking mostly the Frog Morton Cellar tins and Old Dog that I bought, and only dipping in to the Balkan Blue from time to time. It finally happened, last week, I finished my entire stash of Balkan Blue. I know that it is no longer available, so the question is, are there any out there which are close to Balkan Blue as a good substitute?
Justdafacts

Jan 8, 2013
so the question is, are there any out there which are close to Balkan Blue as a good substitute?
No. Not really. Personally, I put Balkan Blue in a class of it's own among Balkans. Although, there are other great Balkans out there. I would certainly recommend Hearth & Home's Black House. Black House and Balkan Blue are my favorites among the genre.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have one tin left. It is unique. Nothing compares, but that’s ok. Lots of other good blends. I’m going to wait a few years and open the last tin at the Chicago show and pass it around. That’s the fun of extinct blends, letting others enjoy.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I often see it on ebay but, as many know, prices typically aren't acceptable to most folks. They always sell though.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
but you might find SPC Plum Pudding to be an ok substitute

Not even close in my humble opinion. But PP is good/great in its own right.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've done my share of latakia bashing but perhaps I've been too hasty on my rejection of these blends. I've got a box somewhere in the basement, perhaps it's time to give them another shot. I Feel like I'm missing out. I'll start with the jar of Black Frigate on the mantel and work from there. It is that time of year I suppose.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I got a taste of this for the first time recently. There's nothing I've had that's like it. Sorry.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I smoked a bowl last night of both Balkan Blue, Presbyterian, and what is left of a jar Arango. None can come close to the buttery Orientals. What leaf is giving that smooth taste? And would it be possible to blend in with some of the other good Balkans?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not even close in my humble opinion. But PP is good/great in its own right.
When I first started buying "boutique" tins I didnt know what different varietals meant flavor-wise.

PP and Blue Mountain were on that first order from sp.com.
Its been several years since I was up close and personal with either, i just remember those two being more similar to each other than the other handful of blends I bought at that time.

I dont doubt they arent super close in flavor profile, but just goes to show how I feel about latakia. Ruins everything.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a bunch of Blue Mountain tins squirreled away, which I believe is somewhat similar to Balkan Blue. One day I will like latakia again and give BM a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.