PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The last order I placed with SP, the adunana in Spain charged me more than the total value of the package. So it is already unbearable to buy tobacco from the USA. I continue to stock up with tobacco from the local tobacconist and some in Europe. I think this 2022 is going to be crucial. Spain is about to kick us in the ass, with taxes. Alcoholic beverages are also in the eye of the hurricane. Damn it, I'm starting to get stressed out already.1489721061795-there-will-be-blood-opening.jpeg

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Sure fooled me! But some time ago when I was crossing the border with pipe tobacco the CBSA guy (the Canadian equivalent of the Border Patrol) read me the riot act. Made me ready to believe almost anything about Canada and tobacco now. ?

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
From the CBC article:

In an effort to curb the disastrous effects of tobacco, CBC has learned that Jean-Yves Duclos, minister of Health is proposing a 350% import tax on all forms of tobacco coming from the United States and a 150% tax on tobacco from Europe. The Bill which will be tabled before Parliament when it resumes, is expected to pass.

Increasingly Canadians are buying tobacco products abroad ... to avoid paying Canadian tax which this Bill will seek to eliminate.

Looks like I'd better get my smoking pipes order in soon!

Link to Article
Not funny Mike! You scared the S*#t out of me. Totally something Turdo would do.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I offer this modest proposal:
Simply deny any and all medical services and insurance coverage relating to illnesses caused by primary smoking, in exchange for no governmental interference with smoking within designated areas, one's own home, indoor smoking sections, etc.

That would be a fair exchange.

Do the same for sugar and it’s a deal.

Reactions: brian64 and jpmcwjr

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
You can still bring back 200 cigars tax free with a one week visit across the border.
Cigar smokers are laughing, that's easily 4Kg worth of tobacco.
Meanwhile pipe smokers get an exemption worth about twenty times less (200g).
How about if you roll the pipe tobacco into cigars before crossing the border, and then slice the wrapper open when home?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The number one cause of chronic illness across the board by far is obesity. Where's the fat tax?
Possibly, though I also suspect that the #1 cause of injury and death is stupidity, so denying insurance and medical care to stupid people would very likely cut costs by 80 to 90%.
Given the medical law about to be passed in South Carolina, this will soon be reality anyway, since access to medical care and insurance coverage will be decided by the doctor's or insurance adjusters' "personal beliefs".

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Shouldn't be too long before the joke is a reality in Canada and many other places. I hope everyone is preparing their cellar as things slowly get worse.

Reactions: JOHN72

Lyon0oq

Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
From the CBC article:

In an effort to curb the disastrous effects of tobacco, CBC has learned that Jean-Yves Duclos, minister of Health is proposing a 350% import tax on all forms of tobacco coming from the United States and a 150% tax on tobacco from Europe. The Bill which will be tabled before Parliament when it resumes, is expected to pass.

Increasingly Canadians are buying tobacco products abroad ... to avoid paying Canadian tax which this Bill will seek to eliminate.

Looks like I'd better get my smoking pipes order in soon!

Link to Article

Well played sir, well played.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Shouldn't be too long before the joke is a reality in Canada and many other places. I hope everyone is preparing their cellar as things slowly get worse.
We're pretty much there, thinking about it. I get nailed between $25 to $40 for each $10-$12 50g tin when my order gets intercepted. That's between 150 to about 300%.
When that happens, in the best case scenario ($25 + 10USD), I am not really saving. And in the worse ($40 + 12USD), I actually pay more than what it would cost me to buy it here.
Granted, I get access to much more choices but it still sucks.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I offer this modest proposal:
Simply deny any and all medical services and insurance coverage relating to illnesses caused by primary smoking, in exchange for no governmental interference with smoking within designated areas, one's own home, indoor smoking sections, etc.

That would be a fair exchange.
Not a realistic option, but it’s a thought. ☕

Status
Not open for further replies.