PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
From the CBC article:

In an effort to curb the disastrous effects of tobacco, CBC has learned that Jean-Yves Duclos, minister of Health is proposing a 350% import tax on all forms of tobacco coming from the United States and a 150% tax on tobacco from Europe. The Bill which will be tabled before Parliament when it resumes, is expected to pass.

Increasingly Canadians are buying tobacco products abroad ... to avoid paying Canadian tax which this Bill will seek to eliminate.

Looks like I'd better get my smoking pipes order in soon!

Link to Article

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Mike, sitting back in his chair in the dock, hat pulled low over his eyes, is keenly feeling the rod for the twinge of a nibble.

(I still made an order, because I think he’s channeling the gestalt of the day. Haha.)

Reactions: JOHN72

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
From the CBC article:

In an effort to curb the disastrous effects of tobacco, CBC has learned that Jean-Yves Duclos, minister of Health is proposing a 350% import tax on all forms of tobacco coming from the United States and a 150% tax on tobacco from Europe. The Bill which will be tabled before Parliament when it resumes, is expected to pass.

Increasingly Canadians are buying tobacco products abroad ... to avoid paying Canadian tax which this Bill will seek to eliminate.

Link to Article
You're a bad person Mike Thompson LOL

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
As has been said, tobacco will never be cheaper and more readily available than right now. This provides me with some solace as I continue to add pounds of tobacco to my cellar. I figure it's just a matter of time until here in the United States, tobacco will be taxed to the point where it is cost prohibitive to obtain. So, I'm gathering my rosebuds while I may. Once it gets ridiculously stupid to buy tobacco, I figure I'll smoke up my cellar while it lasts then just quit.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
From the CBC article:

Link to Article
You just gave someone, somewhere a new brilliant idea!

• Haha
Reactions: Casual and scloyd
Mar 1, 2014
You can still bring back 200 cigars tax free with a one week visit across the border.
Cigar smokers are laughing, that's easily 4Kg worth of tobacco.
Meanwhile pipe smokers get an exemption worth about twenty times less (200g).
This is another longstanding example where government regulation is aimed at penalizing the working man and letting the rich get off free (cigars classically being a "rich man" hobby).
I'd say the exemption needs to be fixed to make things fair for pipesmokers but it would never be fixed to make anything better so it is what it is.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Bury the history of humanity, to continue making the same mistakes, century after century.
New generations make the same mistakes because, although they learned from history, they firmly believe they can do whatever "it" is better as they are smarter. That old saw about learning from history omits that. Later generations have knowledge to avoid the mistakes, they are just greedy enough to think they have a better way and can succeed in world domination. control of currency, or whatever. Humans have the same lusts for power and control as the earlier generations. And, certain humans, generation after generation, care nothing about such, are only concerned about rising tobacco tax/prices, the next generation of rock wheel, a virgin for the Spring and such.. We are not as complex as sociologists and such would have us believe. Maslow is simple to understand and, I think, absolutely correct. Some kids we hung with want to dominate the world and others? They just want a Big Mac with fries.

The thread is tongue and cheek but, a response or two tickled an itch.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Amazing as just today NZ govt has announced they will refund any excise tax paid on any domestically purchased tobacco products (receipts required for evidence) that is being sent out of the country…

@mikethompson since the article makes no mention of southern hemisphere tarif zones, it looks like we should set up a supply chain.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm more the morning person, so in bringing my wife her morning coffee, I told her there was a hen on he front porch, a distinct possibility since there is a coop in the neighborhood. Being a farm girl, she beamed and said it would be our hen, so I quickly admitted it was a lame April Fools joke, and she got a good laugh.

I swallowed this tobacco tax tale because legislators are forever after a revenue stream. Like the hen on he porch, it could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.