PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
puf-not, you thought I was an Englishman! When I was commuting to U of Illinois at Navy Pier in Chicago, when the campus was there, a kid at the bus stop asked me if I was from a foreign country. We'd talked. He had a perfect Chicago accent, sounded a little like Mayor Richard Daley. Parts of my family way back originated in Jolly Old (England), and migrated in the 1800's to "the West," which was then Illinois, and the family has a distinct way of speaking, no English accents by a long shot, but maybe Western Massachusetts. Then I bounced around from campuses and with the Navy, so my speech has been pureed, but perhaps in writing I'm still old Yankee Massachusetts. Even my cuz' who has lived mostly in Florida has a bit of the family brogue. No one in North Carolina thinks I grew up here, but people in Chicago say I have a Southern accent. Whew. To make it worse, I'm sort of an involuntary natural mimic. I eventually figured out that Mayor Richard J. Daley, who was an Irishman of course, had grown up in his neighborhood with a lot of Polish kids, so essentially spoke with not the lilting Irish accent but a Polish one. Such is life.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.