SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

You will be delighted to know I did a water washing yesterday. I goes against my better judgement, but I figured what the heck...LOL!!
I would just avoid or be very careful rinsing cobs. I'm not sure if anyone has tested this yet. But, briars, yep. I love how it keep my pipes smelling fresh, without that ashtray smell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You will be delighted to know I did a water washing yesterday. I goes against my better judgement, but I figured what the heck...LOL!!
It takes a brave man.... really, some folks put up such barriers. Hope your results are excellent.

And as to cobs, yes, I've done it, but I am not really a cob smoker to any extent. Caution that one doesn't loosen the glue holding the stem into the cob. (Though easily fixed)

It takes a brave man.... really, some folks put up such barriers. Hope your results are excellent.

And as to cobs, yes, I've done it, but I am not really a cob smoker to any extent. Caution that one doesn't loosen the glue holding the stem into the cob. (Though easily fixed)
Yeh, the affects of the hot water on the glue was what I was thinking could be a bad thing. It needs to be tested, more so than the effects of being on a roof of a canadian summer, ha ha. JK

Man, all this talk of back to back bowls... and I can't smoke right, is KILLING me. Dammit!!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I bet I am saying the same as many. As long as it's dry and you clean it after each smoke, it doesn't matter. It really doesn't.
I have a pet theory that we know more about briar and how to spot problems in it then we did in the past. For example even back in the 90's I knew less pipe smokers who bought less pipes (I would have thought my collection was huge at 10 pipes) and yet I knew more pipe smokers that had experienced burn out even treating their pipe much more dainty then anyone recommends now. A smaller sample size with more burn outs says a lot in my opinion.

Reactions: Briar Lee

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My great great great grandpa on my mom's side of the family was a boat captain. He left school at 13 to pursue a career on the sea. He did well, working both privately and in the Royal Navy Reserve. He eventually became commodore of the company he worked for and it was his job to take their newest boats on their maiden voyages. Well, on what would be his last voyage, his brother Charles asked Grandpa Edward to take his grandson Buck on the trip with him. He was always helping people so he said yes. Buck was around 10 years old. Grandpa Edward loved smoking his pipe on the bridge and relaxing with it on deck off shift. He had dozen of beautiful pipes in his captains quarters and would smoke them for a day, then choose another one for the next day. "Always start the day with a fresh clean pipe!" he would say!

Anyways, turns out Buck was a bit of a handful. Today we would say he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, load him up with Ritalin and give him an Xbox to play with but there was no such thing back then. After a number of days of him being disruptive on the bridge, Grandpa Charles had had it with Buck and sent him down to the engine room to work off his energy shoveling coal. One night, Buck snuck back on the bridge and apparently decided to play "What's this button do?" You guessed it, he hit the emergency button that took the ship hard to starboard when they should have been going to port, taking them right into a collision with an iceberg, sinking that shiny new ship and killing hundreds of people. Irony being what is meant Grandpa Edward went down with the ship while Buck the imbecile made it into a life boat. They even made a couple of movies about that boat but kept the Buck part of the story to our family because, well how embarrassing. Anyways, Great Great Great Grandpa Edward said, "Always start the day with a fresh clean pipe!" So I do.

On my dad's side, my late great uncle Claus smoked the same pipe all the time, day after day. I don't do that because apparently he was an idiot who accidently set fire to an airship that apparently burned down in New Jersey somewhere back in the 30's. He ended up jumping out and surviving, but killed 35 people trying to sneak a smoke in a chamber filled with hydrogen. It made the news, once again forcing my family to change their last names in the hopes of finding a normal life.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
My great great great grandpa on my mom's side of the family was a boat captain. He left school at 13 to pursue a career on the sea. He did well, working both privately and in the Royal Navy Reserve. He eventually became commodore of the company he worked for and it was his job to take their newest boats on their maiden voyages. Well, on what would be his last voyage, his brother Charles asked Grandpa Edward to take his grandson Buck on the trip with him. He was always helping people so he said yes. Buck was around 10 years old. Grandpa Edward loved smoking his pipe on the bridge and relaxing with it on deck off shift. He had dozen of beautiful pipes in his captains quarters and would smoke them for a day, then choose another one for the next day. "Always start the day with a fresh clean pipe!" he would say!

Anyways, turns out Buck was a bit of a handful. Today we would say he has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, load him up with Ritalin and give him an Xbox to play with but there was no such thing back then. After a number of days of him being disruptive on the bridge, Grandpa Charles had had it with Buck and sent him down to the engine room to work off his energy shoveling coal. One night, Buck snuck back on the bridge and apparently decided to play "What's this button do?" You guessed it, he hit the emergency button that took the ship hard to starboard when they should have been going to port, taking them right into a collision with an iceberg, sinking that shiny new ship and killing hundreds of people. Irony being what is meant Grandpa Edward went down with the ship while Buck the imbecile made it into a life boat. They even made a couple of movies about that boat but kept the Buck part of the story to our family because, well how embarrassing. Anyways, Great Great Great Grandpa Edward said, "Always start the day with a fresh clean pipe!" So I do.

On my dad's side, my late great uncle Claus smoked the same pipe all the time, day after day. I don't do that because apparently he was an idiot who accidently set fire to an airship that apparently burned down in New Jersey somewhere back in the 30's. He ended up jumping out and surviving, but killed 35 people trying to sneak a smoke in a chamber filled with hydrogen. It made the news, once again forcing my family to change their last names in the hopes of finding a normal life.
I am starting to think you're more into tall tales then actual family history. :)

• Haha
Reactions: wyfbane and OzPiper

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I am starting to think you're more into tall tales then actual family history. :)

Don't be ridiculous. I found it all right there on ancestry.com! Next time I light up a pipe, I'll tell you about my drunk uncle Byron who forgot to put an o-ring on a rocket carrying a space shuttle because of overwhelmingly itchy hemorrhoids after a long night out. Spoiler alert, it didn't end well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think your ancestor sailed on ships, not boats, unless he was on the Great Lakes, where icebergs haven't been seen for several thousand years.

So, when does a boat become a ship? Size alone? Purpose? Registration? I don't know, but I know a ship when I see one. Unless it's a tiny ship or a big boat....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Don't be ridiculous. I found it all right there on ancestry.com! Next time I light up a pipe, I'll tell you about my drunk uncle Byron who forgot to put an o-ring on a rocket carrying a space shuttle because of overwhelmingly itchy hemorrhoids after a long night out. Spoiler alert, it didn't end well.
right you have an Uncle that drank. And let me guess on the ending he got fired for scratching his bottom in front of the crew that did all the math and stuff for the rocket and no one believed him that he wasn't just being drunk and weird (mainly cause he kept making up stories about his ancestors, and also because they hadn't even come up with ancestry.com yet and yet he still cited that site as a source). ;)
By the way reality is over rated.

• Haha
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
right you have an Uncle that drank. And let me guess on the ending he got fired for scratching his bottom in front of the crew that did all the math and stuff for the rocket and no one believed him that he wasn't just being drunk and weird (mainly cause he kept making up stories about his ancestors, and also because they hadn't even come up with ancestry.com yet and yet he still cited that site as a source). ;)
By the way reality is over rated.
That’s a good one. My great, great grandfather used Ancestry dot com

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee

Glorious hijacking there!

If I ever have the time and attention to smoke, I will go bowl after bowl. I change pipes out usually after 2 or 3, since by then I am usually changing tobaccos.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glorious hijacking there!

If I ever have the time and attention to smoke, I will go bowl after bowl. I change pipes out usually after 2 or 3, since by then I am usually changing tobaccos.
Thanks for re-steering the thread. We'll see if it takes! Otherwise, it's dead, Jim, dead.