PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an observation, not advice. Sometimes when I first light a pipe, what I thought for a long time was a charring light, once the tobacco on the top is lit, I can quickly lightly tamp, then partially cover the bowl with two fingers (probably to close in the heat a little better) and sip softly, this sets off the ember and I don't have to relight at all, at least for quite a while. It eliminates the charring light and simply lights the pipe. I just did that with a home mix in my Ropp "Tonic" smooth straight billiard. Nice start. But oops, time for a relight now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROBS, I think I got a good twenty minutes before the relight. It had just burnt up the ember and needed tamping to resettle the ash. Or, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I did get a long smoke before relight. Your method sounds good too.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I guess it depends on the tobacco.. both cut and dryness.
Some I do go right on to smoke if they take up.. others I do the char method above and it works well providing good flavor.

If it's a thin ribbon or flake fully rubbed out bone dry.. I guess I kind of do the char/tamp/light all at once.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
When I started smoking a pipe back in 1967 I just pushed some tobacco in a bowl, lit it and smoked it. I tamped and relit if the bowl went out. Fast forward to the start of the internet pipe forums. I read about all the techniques regarding packing, lighting, smoking and building cake etc...
I got so confused I just disregarded the advice and still do what I did back in 1967. I'm still a Happy Pipe Smoker.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I sometimes do the charring light. More often then not the first light and tamp really is enough to get a good even ember and a great smoke. Though sometimes a blend is a little more fighty and in those cases a good char seems needed and useful.

Reactions: gamzultovah

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
This is an observation, not advice. Sometimes when I first light a pipe, what I thought for a long time was a charring light, once the tobacco on the top is lit, I can quickly lightly tamp, then partially cover the bowl with two fingers (probably to close in the heat a little better) and sip softly, this sets off the ember and I don't have to relight at all, at least for quite a while. It eliminates the charring light and simply lights the pipe. I just did that with a home mix in my Ropp "Tonic" smooth straight billiard. Nice start. But oops, time for a relight now.
I do something similar by partially covering the top of the bowl with the tamper without actually temping. I don't think it increases the heat so much as creates a lower pressure area below the tamper (in your case your fingers) which helps the ember light up better. I do this throughout smoking a bowl as well to avoid having to relight.

Reactions: gamzultovah

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I found this to be true, sometimes I am off to the races without a charing light. It depends on the conditions, the tobacco, etc.

The consistent exception would for me would be flake tobaccos which can take a bit of persuasion to get going.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
To avoid the charring light, I duck just after lighting it, and then spin around real fast. So far, works like a charm.
Though I'm going to try this method, so far I rather embrace the charring light. Even though it's not really necessary a fair amount of the time.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If I’m reading you right, Wise Brother MSO, I do the same thing. I find a char light is only in need when screwing around with European tobacco. If you smoke those warm C&D Burley tobaccos, no char light is included.

Anyone like Lasagna? *In Honor of Throwing a Thread.

montypiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Smyrna, Ga
I do something similar by partially covering the top of the bowl with the tamper without actually temping. I don't think it increases the heat so much as creates a lower pressure area below the tamper (in your case your fingers) which helps the ember light up better. I do this throughout smoking a bowl as well to avoid having to relight.

same here. sometimes I use this tamper with a bunch of holes in it.. seems to work well, just lightly cover and draw:

IMG_2799.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From time to time, I light the bowl thoroughly and it goes right out, thus enforcing the charring light on me, and I accept that and relight, on my jolly way. But I have noticed I can often skip this extra step ... and if so, why not? I'm glad to see that some others "get" what I am talking about and do likewise when possible. I like to think when the pipe insists on going out, it is saying, "No, really, take a minute; you're really going to enjoy this."

Reactions: Papamique

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I like a cooler flame for the charring light, think match or zippo. It takes a bit longer but gives me a toasted start instead of burnt. I’ll use butane for relights to start it back up quicker.

Reactions: Papamique and Bowie