PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I agree with that. Author shapes were made here and there by several companies over the decades, including Dunhill, but the 320s really put the shape on the map. I'm smoking one now, as a matter of fact.

I find the wide bowl to be optimal for revealing nuances in complicated blends, and to that end, one of mine is a review pipe.
Interesting note about using it for reviews. I have a Viking pipe I bought as a lightly used estate pipe. The notes about it call it a bent apple, but it is basically an author now that I’ve learned more about pipe shapes. It may be smaller than the Savinelli 320, but I’ll have to actually buy one of those to know for sure. And it is a serious consideration because I simply love the size of the bowl (wider and shallower) and the feel of it in my hand is simply perfect. A true comfort pipe!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Interesting note about using it for reviews. I have a Viking pipe I bought as a lightly used estate pipe. The notes about it call it a bent apple, but it is basically an author now that I’ve learned more about pipe shapes. It may be smaller than the Savinelli 320, but I’ll have to actually buy one of those to know for sure. And it is a serious consideration because I simply love the size of the bowl (wider and shallower) and the feel of it in my hand is simply perfect. A true comfort pipe!
The author and apple are two of my favorite pipe shapes in great part to the reason you gave in your last two sentences. Also, the looks of them appeal to me greatly.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
The author and apple are two of my favorite pipe shapes in great part to the reason you gave in your last two sentences. Also, the looks of them appeal to me greatly.
I should note that my "bent apple" Viking aligns more to the 321 than the 320, but that's still an author:

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
My favorite pipes are my Ardor bent apples. Sort of a slim version of a fat author.

I had a Sav 320 for a few years. Ended up selling it because it hardly ever got smoked. It did, however, make a fantastic doorstop.

• Haha
Reactions: Toast and danimalia

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Comoy's Old Bruyere

18576237-orig.jpg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I absolutely will, but unfortunately this is the only author shape so far for me. Hoping it arrives soon, been really looking forward to it, as I dont buy myself new pipes very often.
I hope to make a quick visit to a local tobaconist this weekend to check out their Savenilli and Peterson pipes. I am torn between the two brands and since I have two author types, the Peterson may give me a different experience.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I hope to make a quick visit to a local tobaconist this weekend to check out their Savenilli and Peterson pipes. I am torn between the two brands and since I have two author types, the Peterson may give me a different experience.
I can give a bit of my experiences between the 2 brands if you care at all. I have 3 new Petersons, and 2 new Savinellis(hopefully that 3rd arrives soon). As well as 3 Old Petes and 1 Old Sav. The difference between the Old vs New Savinellis is minor, All smoke perfect, nice clean smooth draw, fit and finish is top notch.
I wish I could say the same about the Petes, Older Petes are well done, nice stem fit, clean draw, great fit on the metal work, but the new ones dont smoke worth a f***.
They are drilled tight, they whistle like crazy, draft holes aren't centered, also dont line up with the stems, metal work looks like it was done by a child, the new style rustication looks machine done and kinda like plastic, oh and they all smoke super wet no matter what i change.
I could drone on and on about all the problems I have with the newer Petes, but I still buy them anyway, because I have started to collect the St. Patrick's Day collection, event though I rarely smoke them anymore.
And yes I am fully aware some people will just tell me I'm smoking them wrong, but smoking the same blends as I do in the rest of my pipes, which smoke very consistently, only the NEW Petes give me issue, and maybe one old DeLuxe, but that one has a few repairs in it and a story for another time.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I can give a bit of my experiences between the 2 brands if you care at all. I have 3 new Petersons, and 2 new Savinellis(hopefully that 3rd arrives soon). As well as 3 Old Petes and 1 Old Sav. The difference between the Old vs New Savinellis is minor, All smoke perfect, nice clean smooth draw, fit and finish is top notch.
I wish I could say the same about the Petes, Older Petes are well done, nice stem fit, clean draw, great fit on the metal work, but the new ones dont smoke worth a f***.
They are drilled tight, they whistle like crazy, draft holes aren't centered, also dont line up with the stems, metal work looks like it was done by a child, the new style rustication looks machine done and kinda like plastic, oh and they all smoke super wet no matter what i change.
I could drone on and on about all the problems I have with the newer Petes, but I still buy them anyway, because I have started to collect the St. Patrick's Day collection, event though I rarely smoke them anymore.
And yes I am fully aware some people will just tell me I'm smoking them wrong, but smoking the same blends as I do in the rest of my pipes, which smoke very consistently, only the NEW Petes give me issue, and maybe one old DeLuxe, but that one has a few repairs in it and a story for another time.
Thank you for your generous appraisal. Perhaps if I am patient I can find an old Peterson. Presently I am happy with the $50 used pipes I've found and it probably makes little practical sense to pay three times that amount or more for a chance on trouble.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'm on the hunt for an author myself. I don't like the Savinelli chunky style though. I seem to remember seeing thinner, more svelte renderings. Almost like a shorter Prince.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Thank you for your generous appraisal. Perhaps if I am patient I can find an old Peterson. Presently I am happy with the $50 used pipes I've found and it probably makes little practical sense to pay three times that amount or more for a chance on trouble.
Dealers choice really, Lots of people out there that are very happy with new Petes, and you might end up being one of them. But yeah, prices of new pipes are just ludicrous these days, most of the pipes I buy are estates. Get better pipes at better prices that way, only time I buy new is If I cant get what I want used.
Let us know how it goes either way. Lots of great pipes out there. Hope you enjoy whatever you grab. I just had a Stanwell estate arrive today, real fantastic smoke.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
The only pipe I've bought brand-spanking-new-in-the-box (so, not counting unsmoked estate pipes from SP.com) is a Peterson Kinsale XL14 rusticated, just 3 years ago and I absolutely love the way that thing smokes: and the quality can be felt just by holding it. Maybe I lucked out, but I feel that I can stand by the quality compared to my other pipes, which are an assortment of unsmoked and refurbished estate pipes, include a Stanwell, a BriarWorks, a Randy Wiley, a Viking and an HS Studio.

In fact, I hope Pete's comes through for me again: I purchased an Arklow (a beautiful author/bent apple, as it happens) for my son who is turning 20 and has toyed around with getting into pipes. I hope he appreciates it as much as I would, though you never know with these young Zoomer-snappers!