PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So someone broke into my apt while I was at work. Got most of my instruments, both of my rifles,two small desktop humidors and some assorted cigars, my travel case for cigars, and they emptied out my wine rack.
They did however leave me my liquor cabinet, my pipes, my pipe baccy(since my humidor was on the same shelf as my cellar I'm surprised), all my electronics, and, oh yeah, I store the bolts and clips for my rifles in a locked firesafe separately from the rifles, the safe is still here. Also both rifles had cable style bolt locks in place.

They also left my package from P&C on the front stoop. So I actually have a bundle of cigars left, granted right now they are in a gallon ziplock with a humidisk, at least until I get around to ordering a new humidor, or the police show up and say they found my stuff.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Brother that just sucks. So sorry to hear this. At least you have bowls and baccy to comfort you as you pick up the pieces.
-- Pat

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
So sorry to hear about this! (Hopefully you at least have some insurance coverage.) Glad, though, that they left you the pipes, tobacco, and the P&C order. . . at least you can find some comfort in a good smoke.
I was most upset, though, to read "Got most of my instruments." I don't know if you're talking about guitars or not. But if you are, Vintage Guitar magazine runs a regular column where people can post descriptions and serial numbers of stolen instruments (and it doesn't matter if they're technically "vintage" or not). Of course, that info should also be part of your police report, in case anything shows up at local pawn/resale shops.
Bob

joshwolftree

the info I had on them went right to he police report, two acoustics, both older with no serials,(one is a cheapy yamaha acoustic students, and one is a early to mid seventies hondo II that my mom had just given me from her collection, also an early 60s three octave accordian, my first act cheapy electric guitar, and my Electric bass. I had my backpacker in the car with me(I sometimes light a pipe and practice at lunch.) and theyn left my assorted wind instruments and my djembe, so there's still some music around the house.
oh and the three fearless defenders of my household(the cats) are all fine, though I may need to explain what guard duty entails again.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow- really sorry to hear that Josh - but glad your cats are okay and that you haven't lost your pipes.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
That SUCKS! I hope they catch these losers!!
Let's hope you aren't in CDA and don't get nailed with b/s 'improper storeage of a firearm'.

joshwolftree

firearms were in locked cases on the top shelf of the bedroom closet, with trigger and bolt lock devices in place. Bolts were removed(they are both bolt action hunting rifles, a .22 and a .308) clips and bolts stored separately in a locked fire safe(still in my possession)in the second bedroom closet, ammo(also still in my possession) stored in a second locked fire safe in yet another room of the house, keys to both safes and the carry cases are located on my keychain, and my father's keychain. They'll have to bolt cutter the lock on the case to determine they don't have any usable weapons.

My father was a military cop for 20 years, and is a prison guard now...He taught me the safe way to store,handle, and care for firearms.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Man that does suck big time! Sorry to hear that, I've worried about that before. If sommeone broke in would they atleast leave the pipes.

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Sorry to hear you had your possessions taken from you, lets hope the police can find the people and get them back to you in the same condition they were before they were taken.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Sorry to hear about your misfortune... If there is any silver lining they are just things that can be replaced. It really is a wonder to me at all why people steal anything at all. They just hurt other people, just like them. It's not like they're ripping off millionaires or people who won't notice.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
sorry to hear about your misfortune. hope you hear some good news and they find your stuff.
Mike

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I am sorry josh. They came in my house three times and took all my stuff. I hope they die. Glad you're ok.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Josh:
The downside:
You had your privacy permanently violated and you lost your guitars, cigars, a couple of humidors, some wine and a couple of rifles.
The upside:
You weren't physically harmed.

Your cats are safe.

Guitars, guns, wine, cigars and humidors can be replaced.

Your rifles, fortunately, won't do any harm on the streets unless they're used as clubs.
My favorite uncle flew C-47s during WWII: dropping paras and fuel chasing Patton's 3rd Army. He always told me that any landing you walked away from was a good one.
This is a walk away, Josh.
Fnord

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Recovery is hit or miss in these cases, Josh. A lot depends on the detectives. But rest assured, if they find your stuff, the fact that you have serials and good descriptions weighs very heavily into whether or not you get them back. Our detective unit locally is very strong and very good, and they recover truckloads of stuff... about half of which is never returned to the owner because we just don't know who it belongs to.
So, if the burglary detectives in your area are awake, you have a better than even chance. Best of luck to you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.