PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
tifdickson details the three time periods well. Bill Taylor passed away in Sept of 2009, and it was rumoured that he was in ill health for close to a year. I suspect that Jimmy Craig made most of the 2008 and 2009 pipes, as quality dropped off considerably in the latter years.

My favorites are the 95-99 era. Even so, my first Ashton, a 1998 had horrible drilling, that I was able to fix with some file work. It's said that you didn't want to buy a Taylor era Ashton that Bill made after lunch, as he was apparently known to have a few. (that has never been validated!)

I tried a few Jimmy Craig "Ashtons" (I'm with TF, the name should not have been used past Bill Taylors era) and found the stemwork lacking. Jimmy was at several of the Richmond shows and he had a table full of pipes to examine. Besides him not being very engaged, I also found issues on many of those pipes (2013-2015 era, from memory).

Taylor X sizing was very consistent. Jimmy Craig definitely NOT, by my experience. Jimmy also did a terrible job of marketing pipes - largely selling thru his account on Ebay (he apparently stopped selling on Ebay). For a while, he let several well-known pipe ebay sellers sell new pipes. A German vendor always has a large number of unsmoked Ashton's, so I assume this is now his outlet. Thru these means, Jimmy definitely did everything he could to sully the Ashton name and not exploit the heritage given to him. It has also been rumoured that he let his boys finish pipes in the latter years, again, that is rumour. The pipes I see on Ebay now, do look more refined, but I've not seen one in the flesh to comment.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Taylor at the RTDA in Nashville in 1998 This was in the height of the cigar boom. I remember walking by a booth and someone approached me asking if would like to meet Bill Taylor. My jaw about dropped to the floor and before I could say,”boy, would I!”, Bill reached his hand out and introduced himself. I think the vast amount of cigar retailers there had no idea who Bill was. I think he was probably quite bored because he took the time to chat with me for probably about a half hour. This is despite the fact that I had told him I was managing a store that was primarily cigars at the time. He just seemed pleased that someone knew him and his fantastic history. I don’t recall much detail about the conversation other than him confirming that his briar was oil cured (which always seemed to be debated for some reason). He was just a kind, affable, fellow who loved to talk pipes. I don’t own any Ashtons but I have always kept an eye out for a bargain ‘Bill Taylor”.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Here's an interesting pipe I bought back in 2018, a pipe marked McCranie UK. Now I knew Bill Taylor made pipes for McCranie. They were marked McArris by McCranie, Made in England .

mccuk.jpgmccuk2.jpgmccuk3.jpgmccuk4.jpg

Italian pipe maker Tonino Jacono also made pipes for McCranie's. This pipe definitely had Italian, and not English, shaping to my eye, so what was it? And was it a rusticated, or sandblasted finish?

I figured the best way to solve the mystery was...to call McCranie's! The gentleman I spoke to understood exactly what I was describing. He told me the stummmels and stems were done in Italy by Tonino Jacono, rusticated and unfinished. They were then sent to the UK, where Bill Taylor sand blasted over the rustication, and did the staining and final finishing. So an international joint venture! The fellow said they were sold by McCranie's until about ten years ago, retailing for $150.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another interesting one (not mine) from McCranie's.

McCranie2.jpgMcCranie1.jpg

"McCranie’s also has their own line of pipes which has evolved over the years. It started with Todd and his father making pipes themselves. Then they sent Moroccan Briar that they had acquired to a factory in London to make standard, classic shapes for them. When that factory closed, they started working with Italian pipe maker Tonino Jacono, and Bill Taylor of England. They corroborated on pipes for McCranie’s and they were stamped with a TTT for Tom, Tonino, and Taylor."

McCranie’s Pipe and Tobacco Shop, Charlotte NC - https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/industry-spotlight/mccranies-pipe-and-tobacco-shop-charlotte-nc/

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I have learned a lot from all of you. And from the hours of research,talking to collectors I think I have a good understanding of Ashton and what to look for now. I may have the opportunity purchase a early Ashton, not sure if it’s going to or not. But fingers crossed it does. I now understand the importance of having Bill Taylor pipe in my
Old British wood collection I’m working on. Thanks

Last edited:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
tifdickson details the three time periods well. Bill Taylor passed away in Sept of 2009, and it was rumoured that he was in ill health for close to a year. I suspect that Jimmy Craig made most of the 2008 and 2009 pipes, as quality dropped off considerably in the latter years.

My favorites are the 95-99 era. Even so, my first Ashton, a 1998 had horrible drilling, that I was able to fix with some file work. It's said that you didn't want to buy a Taylor era Ashton that Bill made after lunch, as he was apparently known to have a few. (that has never been validated!)

I tried a few Jimmy Craig "Ashtons" (I'm with TF, the name should not have been used past Bill Taylors era) and found the stemwork lacking. Jimmy was at several of the Richmond shows and he had a table full of pipes to examine. Besides him not being very engaged, I also found issues on many of those pipes (2013-2015 era, from memory).

Taylor X sizing was very consistent. Jimmy Craig definitely NOT, by my experience. Jimmy also did a terrible job of marketing pipes - largely selling thru his account on Ebay (he apparently stopped selling on Ebay). For a while, he let several well-known pipe ebay sellers sell new pipes. A German vendor always has a large number of unsmoked Ashton's, so I assume this is now his outlet. Thru these means, Jimmy definitely did everything he could to sully the Ashton name and not exploit the heritage given to him. It has also been rumoured that he let his boys finish pipes in the latter years, again, that is rumour. The pipes I see on Ebay now, do look more refined, but I've not seen one in the flesh to comment.
I heard the same rumor in the 2000s, apparently Southern Comfort was a fav. To be fair it was from someone traveling with a Dunhill rep at a trunk show, but he still lauded his pre lunch work. I had one or two that I suspected of being after lunch, or maybe even last pipe of the day, but they still smoked good. If it had not been for a gorgeous looking and even more gorgeous smoking Ashton apple my sophomore year of college, I would never have considered breaking the $100 pipe wall. That pipe is about to be sent off for it's second replacement stem, it gets grabbed too often and sometimes pays the price.

I have been looking for a used Craig pipe. I can't bring myself to pay full price as the stems are a little too gaudy and the pipes are shaped a little meh. Even if Bill sometimes had a gaff and maybe turned out an unbalanced pipe they always had charm. How did the JC Ashton's smoke?

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Sorry I ran out of time for edit. I guess I understand Sovereign is what you said natural or smooth. Were the very early pieces graded I guess is my question. I seen example of no date code graded, date code no grade. I concluded, and am 100% unsure, the very earliest weren’t numerical graded.

Some great info here from Hagley.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Hi everyone,

thank you for this very informative and educative thread that is a pleasure to read. Doing so I have noticed that I haven't smoked my only Ashton for a long time. I grabbed it from the pipe cabinet and now I'm unsure about the stamping. I got this pipe from a friend in Austria, who bought this in the 80ies or 90ies. It is an "X" Pebble Grain - a very slender and elegant small Canadian. The stem is very flat and comfortable. But there is no year stamp or only the allusion of one. And there is a strange additional two-letter-marking that I read as "JO". It might be a large "10" as well, but honestly I don't think so. I have attached some pictures. Does anyone of you know what that "JO" stamp might mean? Thank you in advance!

Eddy

002.jpeg

004.jpg

001.jpeg

003.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There was a year that had no date stamp, it was rumored that Bill had lost the date stamp.
Love those single X size Ashtons!
Early on, I collected 3X, as they seem to be the most plentiful, but I settled on 2X as my favorite.

Reactions: dcon and ChuckMijo

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Hi everyone,

thank you for this very informative and educative thread that is a pleasure to read. Doing so I have noticed that I haven't smoked my only Ashton for a long time. I grabbed it from the pipe cabinet and now I'm unsure about the stamping. I got this pipe from a friend in Austria, who bought this in the 80ies or 90ies. It is an "X" Pebble Grain - a very slender and elegant small Canadian. The stem is very flat and comfortable. But there is no year stamp or only the allusion of one. And there is a strange additional two-letter-marking that I read as "JO". It might be a large "10" as well, but honestly I don't think so. I have attached some pictures. Does anyone of you know what that "JO" stamp might mean? Thank you in advance!

Eddy

View attachment 58271

View attachment 58272

View attachment 58273

View attachment 58274

Beautiful pipe! My guess on dating would be mid 1990’s due to the missing date stamp. As for the JO stamp I’m positive about that– the pipe was originally sold through Josef Osstermann, a legendary shop in Vienna that sadly closed its doors in 2016 after 200 years in business. They stamped ”JO” on all the higher end pipes that went through the shop.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Beautiful pipe! My guess on dating would be mid 1990’s due to the missing date stamp. As for the JO stamp I’m positive about that– the pipe was originally sold through Josef Osstermann, a legendary shop in Vienna that sadly closed its doors in 2016 after 200 years in business. They stamped ”JO” on all the higher end pipes that went through the shop.

Ahhh, of course! Thank you! That's a stroke of genius. I have actually been there - it was 9 or 10 years ago now. I was working in Vienna for 4 months, and that was the time I made friends with Peter who gave this pipe to me. Once a month, there was a meeting of the Vienna pipe club, which I always attended. Wonderful people there. And I remember browsing through Ostermann's cabinets of Bang pipes back then - never being able to afford them of course.

Thank you for that hint and for refreshing my memory!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Ahhh, of course! Thank you! That's a stroke of genius. I have actually been there - it was 9 or 10 years ago now. I was working in Vienna for 4 months, and that was the time I made friends with Peter who gave this pipe to me. Once a month, there was a meeting of the Vienna pipe club, which I always attended. Wonderful people there. And I remember browsing through Ostermann's cabinets of Bang pipes back then - never being able to afford them of course.

Thank you for that hint and for refreshing my memory!

Wow! I can only imagine visiting let alone attending a meeting with the club. Pipe smoking Valhalla!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have quite a few Ashtons from current production era( from 2017 and on,) for the money I find them terrific, but one thing is certain, stem button shaping leaves something to be desired, yet i have noticed during these past few years 2018-20 the overall quality of JC Ashtons has improved, haven't had any issues either with drilling or stem fitting, all mine smoke great from the get go

Reactions: dcon

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Bill Taylor used to carve octagonal shapes. And I used to collect the Ashton Old Church Pipes. This one is a favorite of mine, in finish, size and shape. I could never bring myself to smoke it.

3044B544-98F3-4EF8-A788-92D356C973EB.jpeg
30F8FF7E-2775-4CE2-BF1E-D22BE2FCD89E.jpeg
80C1F9B3-EABE-4672-9A05-C3D4D851FE93.jpeg

Attachments

• A129A63D-0560-4B5B-A8AA-D20C662B61E7.jpeg
    A129A63D-0560-4B5B-A8AA-D20C662B61E7.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 59390360-09DD-482A-B0FE-4ABCF4F72AFC.jpeg
    59390360-09DD-482A-B0FE-4ABCF4F72AFC.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2