PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
So the pipe arrived right on time from SP (I paid the extra 5 bucks for 2day air). When I first opened the package I was surprised to see a Smoking Pipes box instead of an Ashton branded box, but upon opening found a thick white leather Ashton pipe bag with the pipe inside.

Initial inspection: no flaws, perfect drilling, perfect fit between ebonite stem and ferule, nice thick walls and and for me absolutely perfect size - bowl is deep enough without being overly tall which is something I dont like on a billiard. Draft hole dead center at the very bottom of the bowl. Perhaps slightly too bowl heavy to make it a perfect clencher, but it is clenchable. Blast seems quite nice althought I dont have other higher end sand blast pipes to compare it to. Looking at another recent Ashton thread, from a few pictures it seems that some of the Taylor era ashtons had unbelievable and deep sandblast. This pipe doesnt appear to be that level but still very nice. Overall fit and finish seems on par with a Castello sea rock I own (obviously different finish but same sense of quality).

I was slightly surprised to see it had a bowl coating, but it is very uniform and completely smooth unlike the petes I own. Bit is comfortable, button perhaps ever so slightly on the thicker side.

It smoked beautifully - nice open draw, and the bowl of brindleys mixture burned to a nice fine ash.

Overall I am very very pleased and think it well worth the amount paid. This suits my style preference perfectly. I have no interest whatsoever in collecting or pipe history, and dont particularly care about which era may have been better. I can say that this is a high quality pipe.
Pictures to follow.